• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Marvel for your bread!

19 posts in this topic

I'm a big fan of house ads too. I've always felt that the house ads and bullpen bulletins should be included in the omnibus reprint books along with the original letters pages. You're only getting a part of the experience if you're reading the stories without the context of the house ads.

I thought this thread would be full of covers with bread on them.

I'm a big fan of house ads too. I've always felt that the house ads and bullpen bulletins should be included in the omnibus reprint books along with the original letters pages. You're only getting a part of the experience if you're reading the stories without the context of the house ads.

Completely agree! I love going through my raw silver and bronze for this very reason.

We've got a whole "bread cover" thread going on over in Copper with gems like these:

47527-4042-56911-1-alf.jpg

;)

Completely agree! I love going through my raw silver and bronze for this very reason.

The LOC page was something I looked forward to in every comic. Always made sure to read it and take mental note of the contributors names. It was cool to find the "regular" writers show up in different titles.

We've got a whole "bread cover" thread going on over in Copper with gems like these:

47527-4042-56911-1-alf.jpg

;)

The LOC page was something I looked forward to in every comic. Always made sure to read it and take mental note of the contributors names. It was cool to find the "regular" writers show up in different titles.

^

Also reading an introduction for a new creator like Starlin or Barry Smith :)

^

The intros are certainly neat to look back on, but from the perspective of someone who maybe didn't see those comics fresh off the stands, it seems obvious now that Starlin or Byrne(or whoever) would reach the heights of acclaim they did, and is interesting only for that reason.

But to your point, TM Maple, Cat Yronwode, and Gary Dahlberg all went on to be much more interesting figures in comics fandom, and it's neat to see early mentions.

I guess nothing beats being there at the time.

^

The intros are certainly neat to look back on, but from the perspective of someone who maybe didn't see those comics fresh off the stands, it seems obvious now that Starlin or Byrne(or whoever) would reach the heights of acclaim they did, and is interesting only for that reason.

But to your point, TM Maple, Cat Yronwode, and Gary Dahlberg all went on to be much more interesting figures in comics fandom, and it's neat to see early mentions.

Still, I love the history of the industry and it's all there to discover.

^

Still, I love the history of the industry and it's all there to discover.

Totally agree. The history might even be more interesting than the stories.

:shy:

I always dig these house ads, especially bronze!

YUYBbzbl.jpg

and on the very next page!

NZ0vLXNl.jpg

Actually, what is most interesting about this is the column on the left promoting upcoming issues. Thanos and Wolverine had yet to appear in the MU. The Cosmic Cube storyline in Sub-Mariner was also quite good. Not to mention that was the month someone procured a Thor #156 that would one day be graded a perfect 10.

Wow, I got a lot from that. (thumbs u

This was a neat ad that ran for Dr. Strange.

This was a neat ad that ran for Dr. Strange.

:o I'm speechless at the thought of this. First time seeing it, thanks for the share :)