• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spotting on cover, how much does it drop the grade?

9 posts in this topic

On an otherwise nice looking structurallyVF/NM type book, how much does the spotting/staining at the bottom of the cover lower the grade? I picked up lot of books from J&S years back, that had this type of staining. Am assuming it's from sitting in a warehouse for ages. Is there a proper term for this? How much would it affect the grade? Thanks.

kull1.jpg

Well foxing is allowed up to 9.4....

But if that's foxing, then that's one of the worst I've seen.

I'm pretty sure that will hurt the grade badly.

frown.gif

I never really considered it foxing but after you mentioned it I went & checked the term in the grading guide & it fits. "Defects caused by mold growth that results in a spotting effect usually at the edges of books."

That said, I couldn't see just deducting a .5 or anything. I was thinking more along the lines of a F to F+ type grade. It's one of the main reasons I quite buying from J&S as it seemed more & more of the lots had this type of defect in them. Although if foxing is allowed up t0 9.4 then technically the grades were not off by much I guess.

I have a few 70s books that have a similar problem - it predominantly seems to affect white areas of the cover (or at least, that's where it's visible! wink.gif ). I didn't realise it was permissible all the way up to 9.4...guess I should stop pouting and downgrading them all to FN!

I never really considered it foxing but after you mentioned it I went & checked the term in the grading guide & it fits. "Defects caused by mold growth that results in a spotting effect usually at the edges of books."

That said, I couldn't see just deducting a .5 or anything. I was thinking more along the lines of a F to F+ type grade. It's one of the main reasons I quite buying from J&S as it seemed more & more of the lots had this type of defect in them. Although if foxing is allowed up t0 9.4 then technically the grades were not off by much I guess.

It doesn't appear to be foxing to me - it looks more like a uniform stain - Starbucks perhaps? 27_laughing.gif

That's about what I was thinking -- Fine or so.

It appears that both the left and right edges of your scan are cut off, and there is no BC scan

I wasn't really looking for a grade per se, just a discussion on how much this type foxing would affect a higher grade book. On your other point, it's definitely some type of mold, just not sure what exactly. Thanks for the input.