• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A NEW Age? (after Modern era)

65 posts in this topic

Mostly a reader/collector of Modern era books, but these have been around for almost 25 years (since 1992, or 1985 per Wikipedia).

Copper age is barely a decade, and Bronze and Silver are a little bit more.

Are we to expect a new era/age after Modern? What would it be called?

Personally I like the term "Chromium Age" for the 1990's..... leaving Modern for what follows. As for what happens when those modern books become 20 years old, who knows ? Each age pretty much came about when publishers answered market demand with something new...... I haven't seen this happen in quite a while..... and for clarity, by "new" I'm speaking an intrinsic and thematic "newness".....either content or packaging...... not just the release of new titles. 2c GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....the 2000's onward could easily become the "Plastic" or "Slab" Age

Personally I like the term "Chromium Age" for the 1990's..... leaving Modern for what follows. As for what happens when those modern books become 20 years old, who knows ? Each age pretty much came about when publishers answered market demand with something new...... I haven't seen this happen in quite a while..... and for clarity, by "new" I'm speaking an intrinsic and thematic "newness".....either content or packaging...... not just the release of new titles. 2c GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....the 2000's onward could easily become the "Plastic" or "Slab" Age

:)

I am trying to remember names I have used before, I know i have commented on this at least twice before. I like Plastic Age, that's a good one.

Variant Age might be valid as well.

Personally, if I tried really hard I would go with:

Chromium/Modern Age - 92-98

Post-Modern Age - 99-08

Plastic/Variant Age 09-current

Post-modern?

af81bbdc875a33a26d3080c0d743ba83.jpg

If the modern age comes after Copper, I think it should be ended with the big 90s bubble and collapse. All the trends of the time, foil covers, collector's editions, etc, ended with them.

Digital graphics, paperstock changes, more mature oriented comics, the resurgence of independents, comicbook movies, etc.

I'd call those change, that era, post-modern. If I was dividing ages up.

Then after that, slabbed comics, variant craze, retailer incentives, convention specials, reboots and comics chasing the movies, etc.

That's the current "plastic" age/bubble

I would personally like to see the trend of names of metals continue.

Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper... why change now?

Ok

My Metal scale:

Brass Age 92-98

Tin Age 99-08

Slag Age 09-current

:D

Ok

My Metal scale:

Brass Age 92-98

Tin Age 99-08

Slag Pig Iron Age 09-current

Slag may have too much of a negative connotation, so I went with what we call it down south.

Ok

My Metal scale:

Brass Age 92-98

Tin Age 99-08

Slag Age 09-current

^^ I like this, and the Pig Iron idea. Maybe it could be double barreled like a woman who doesn't quite want to give up her name? The Slag-Pig Iron Age.

Mostly a reader/collector of Modern era books, but these have been around for almost 25 years (since 1992, or 1985 per Wikipedia).

There is no such thing as an age after Modern. Current books are always Modern.

That there is no real, consistent acknowledgment of the post-Copper, pre-Modern age yet is ridiculous.

There is no such thing as an age after Modern. Current books are always Modern.

That there is no real, consistent acknowledgment of the post-Copper, pre-Modern age yet is ridiculous.

i think its just dictated by ebay categories to be honest, as funny as that sounds. They labeled it when it was arguably still the age after copper, or just past, and now it will be 2050 before something new gets accepted.

My vote;

(1992 - 1999) Chromium Age

(2000 - current) Plastic Age

2000 is a perfect turning point - CGC started up in January 2000, 1st X-Men film was in 2000. Maybe 2017 will turn out to be a fitting end to the Plastic Age with Hugh Jackman's last Wolverine performance and if 2018 starts some major shift (perhaps the use of a rarity scale).