• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay- looking for insight/opinions

53 posts in this topic

Be careful on taking returns, in these situations, people like to swap books on you and send you their undercopy while keeping your high grade copy. It happened to me with a Nyx #3 and Batman #1 (2011).

What could a seller do in that case? I'm guessing the cards are stacked against you with ebay.

The buyer knows this and puts you in that hard place. It's usually stacked in his favor and wins with either choice the seller makes.

What was your description of the book? Were the defects he's describing allowable for the grade? Was a scan provided?

I was wondering the same thing.

Aside from that, full refund upon return of the book.

Saying 'I do not accept returns-' is just a recipe for disaster. You will accept returns, whether you like it or not, for any or no reason.

I have a somewhat similar situation. Sold an item new in the box, customer took

the item out of the box, can't figure out how to use it, feket it up , and now is

fishing for a free everything or I'll get bad feedback. Don't care about the bad

feedback, too many goods to offset, and I've saved the extorsion emails to get

ebay to wipe it. Needless to say, I said no. Don't want it back, and not going to

pay for your error. Trouble will ensue, but such is the cost of doing bidness..

probably wont happen in this case but ebay can force a return of funds.

If buyer says they took it out and it was jacked up already you're screwed.

Seller Notes: “I am not a professional grader. I post high resolution scans for you to judge. I will note any major defects. Please examine carefully and ask if you have questions.”

You know the book. Amazing Spider-Man #300. See scans. High grade beautiful copy. Been in my possession since 2001. Please ask if you have questions, need more pics, scans, etc. Shipping to Canada or the USA will be $15.

Back Cover scan -

fwAskxG.jpg

Yes, as ebay sellers we all accept returns...whether we state that we do or not. So better to start from the non-antagonistic side of things and offer returns.

Also, treat requests for a return like being pulled over by a cop for a speeding ticket. Just keep your head down and take it. Trying to negotiate just leads you down a path to more trouble. :)

+1 on the 'returns are a cost of doing ebay business' philosophy.

Recently sold a ST 110 that I called "high end GD".

Buyer just shipped it back to me because he and his local shop both agreed is not a VG.

Well, no s hit Sherlock. That's why I didn't call it a VG or even VG minus or GVG.

I honestly don't mind as long as I get it back in same condition. Maybe I'll sell it here, maybe decide to keep it until next movie (now that my window has passed, the whole reason I sold my undercopy now was movie). It's my only return after 100 packages and 10k sales, so I think myself lucky (I'd also deleted all my blocked users, about two hundred names which did not end up biting me in the ).

Recognition that buyers have pretty much unconditional returns at their end, I also stopped worrying about deadbeats who don't pay. I now figure I'm better off than if they decided to pay and then return item - I skip the extra work and shipping hassle, chance of damage in two directions, another thing to remember to check whether I ever get the return of the fees, etc.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. Under buyer protection the buyer can just say 'not as described' or 'not satisfied'. thats it. ebay will force a return. That why people listing 'no returns' are shooting themselves in the foot.

There must be people out there who just upgrade their copies this way.

there are. if you get a good rep and can demonstrate with pics sometimes they'll do something about it. It seems to be rare though I've never had it happen.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. Under buyer protection the buyer can just say 'not as described' or 'not satisfied'. thats it. ebay will force a return. That why people listing 'no returns' are shooting themselves in the foot.

Again, this is not always true. There have been instances where I refused the return and I have won. It is all in how you articulate the argument.

I know some people are successful selling on ebay, but there is no chance in hell I would ever do that if I needed to sell. Sounds like the wild west.

Not as bad as people make it out to be.

I listed books here the other day. I listed it for $50 per copy.

No buyers...

Took 10% off... one buyer from the boards... no additional buyer.

Listed the next copy on eBay for $55 + shipping... that copy sells

Listed another copy on eBay for $65 + shipping... (Yes $65) next copy sells.

:shrug:

eBay can be very good to sellers.