• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard (WIZD) Stock Price

51 posts in this topic

If you want to invest in pop culture in the market, DIS stock. Company has a portfolio for the ages, rock solid fundamentals. Pixar, the DIS parks including Avatar land opening in 17, Marvel, Star Wars, new Shanghai park is running on all cyclinders.

Why buy a penny stock that has a good shot at being wiped out?

Thanks for everyone's opinions here! I'm not really interested in investing in pop culture in particular... this just seems like a decent gamble. And yes, I see it as a pure gamble. BK might happen, but if they tighten up costs and charge ahead, they should pull out of this nicely. At the current cost (and my own personal risk tolerance), it just looks like a fun way to gamble ten grand :)

All I had to know about Wizard was a bit from Bleeding Cool's recent article regarding them - Wizard is leasing their corporate office space from one of their board members for a term of 5 years and 3 months, and PREPAID $200 grand in rent.

So, would I invest?

Short answer - no

Long answer - NO

Thanks for everyone's opinions here! I'm not really interested in investing in pop culture in particular... this just seems like a decent gamble. And yes, I see it as a pure gamble. BK might happen, but if they tighten up costs and charge ahead, they should pull out of this nicely. At the current cost (and my own personal risk tolerance), it just looks like a fun way to gamble ten grand :)

If that is your mantra and you have that kind of capital risk outlay parameter, you really should check out the derivatives markets instead. Much better risk/reward. In particular the weeklies. These contracts are dirt cheap because there is no time premium basically.

Catch a stock that is breaking new highs and get some OTM calls. You can get 20-30 baggers all day long. Just last week Nvidia had some near 50 (that is 5000%) baggers on its break out. This has been the ideal market for these types of setups.

10 k cash is a substantial amount of money to just chuck at a low volume penny stock. The thing traded 200k shares yesterday, at .18 a share. If you tried to sell that 10k $$ worth into that low volume, you would crash the share sell price by yourself.

I like the idea of dabbling in options market someone mentioned. Crazy volume trades daily in FANG big 4 for instance. If you lose your money there its on you, but WIZD you can have zip by morning with a non trading tic mark in your holdings.

To keep it comic related, I get with risk of floods, fire, theft, owning too much in physical funny books is a risk. You can own a healthy position in DIS and feel like every time a big superhero or animated hit movie comes out, its your success.

I would stay away from penny stocks in general. Wizard is not a strong and in my opinion stable place to invest. I would't gamble my money in that way. It's good to invest in companies you like but not ones on shaky grounds. take that couple of grand and buy a nice silver age book. It will probably appreciate (maybe slowly) and you will have something cool to look at and enjoy while you own it.

Buying Wizard Stock now is a smart move if you have a lot of capital gains and want to off-set your profits with some losses by buying Wizard and watching the stock become "deemed worthless" as they go under, or reorganize

FYI - many remember how Marvel had stocks in the 1990's, declared bankruptcy and legally screwed over every investor, all while still publishing comic books and continuing to run a business, and later re-emerging and merging with Disney (or rather Disney buying them out) after new stock was issued, but not re-issued to past share holders. Yeah, Marvel sucks and Disney is the evil empire...

So everyone says "this is a god awful idea" and the OP's response is "well, then I should throw $10k at it"... did I totally misunderstand the responses here? Cause it seemed like everyone was in general agreement that it was about equivalent to setting your money on fire.

So everyone says "this is a god awful idea" and the OP's response is "well, then I should throw $10k at it"... did I totally misunderstand the responses here? Cause it seemed like everyone was in general agreement that it was about equivalent to setting your money on fire.

contrarian thinking

contrarian thinking

Where would I rather "burn" 10 stacks instead of on WIZD...

- The Craps table

- The Let it Ride table

- DraftKings

- C2E2

- JIM 83

- Maui

Just to name a few.

contrarian thinking

Where would I rather "burn" 10 stacks instead of on WIZD...

- The Craps table

- The Let it Ride table

- DraftKings

- C2E2

- JIM 83

- Maui

Just to name a few.

this list is incomplete without hookers and blow

optically the financials don't look terrible... profit this year vs a loss last year...$3MM of cash...no debt...

theoretically should be good.

but a publicly traded company would never indicate liquidity troubles in the md&a unless they actually had liquidity problems.. and for a company with a $9mm market cap...$6mm enterprise value to say that one of their solutions is raising more equity...

hopefully they figure out their working capital issues.

I also considered buying a few shares earlier this year but am glad I didn't. best of luck OP.

for a $10k investment, please make sure you read through their filings before you invest in the company.

https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=wizard+world&owner=exclude&action=getcompany

If they'd get out of Des Moines and Madison and focus on the shows that actually make them money they should do just fine. Their ill-advised expansion of a few years ago really crippled them, and they are throwing good money after bad in several markets that can't support Wizard shows.

optically the financials don't look terrible... profit this year vs a loss last year...$3MM of cash...no debt...

theoretically should be good.

but a publicly traded company would never indicate liquidity troubles in the md&a unless they actually had liquidity problems.. and for a company with a $9mm market cap...$6mm enterprise value to say that one of their solutions is raising more equity...

hopefully they figure out their working capital issues.

I also considered buying a few shares earlier this year but am glad I didn't. best of luck OP.

for a $10k investment, please make sure you read through their filings before you invest in the company.

https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=wizard+world&owner=exclude&action=getcompany

Yeah, looking at it I'm not clear what their liquidity issue is. If they dropped all of their unprofitable conventions, and just focused on the few profitable ones, I would expect 3 million to be enough. I doubt that a scaled down version of WW is worth 9 million, so I probably would still avoid the stock, but I don't see why they couldn't avoid bankruptcy.

There must be something I'm missing.

Where is Gene when you need him? :)

Buying Wizard Stock now is a smart move if you have a lot of capital gains and want to off-set your profits with some losses by buying Wizard and watching the stock become "deemed worthless" as they go under, or reorganize

FYI - many remember how Marvel had stocks in the 1990's, declared bankruptcy and legally screwed over every investor, all while still publishing comic books and continuing to run a business, and later re-emerging and merging with Disney (or rather Disney buying them out) after new stock was issued, but not re-issued to past share holders. Yeah, Marvel sucks and Disney is the evil empire...

Marvel had IPs like Spider-Man,X-Men and the Avengers. Those IPs will always have tremendous value. They will always be a good bet like the Nintendo characters.

Frankly, Wizard doesn`t have much. They should have at least kept their main assets going the Wizard magazine. I would dump the Wizard`s stock fast,never mind buying more.

I didn't read the filings. Is there anything preventing them from raising more money? Like lawsuits or steep employment contracts?

I didn't read it fully, but I would expect the main thing preventing them from raising more money is their track record with handling the capital they already have.

They've burned a lot of cash. I can't see too many people lining up to lend them money. A stock offering would be at a very low price and be extremely dilutive. They are tiny as well, from a stock standpoint, so the fees involved in issuing stock might be prohibitive.