• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS 59 9.2 or Cap 100 9.2

21 posts in this topic

No, he's not. He may be wrong, in fact or in your anecdotal experience; and he may be recalling incorrectly, but he was sincere.

Of the 845 on the registry, there's 167 in 9.0 or better. Five of them available on eBay right now, plus a few raw that might net high grades too. Another 132 of the 845 are 8.0 and 8.5.

One can make what they want of incomplete statistics (we don't know of course how many are ungraded out there), but there's enough right there to account for his case that he says he saw. And if there was no comparable case of surrounding issues, its enough to skew the relative # of surviving high grade copies, by comparison.

Hardly a stretch.

Then again, nothing says every copy he saw from that unopened case 40 years ago didn't get eaten by someone's dog since then, either.

***TRANSLATION***

Sorry...He's full of schitt!

I worked part time in a comic store in Toronto (Bakka on Queen West) in the late 70s & comics were delivered in bundles with bundling straps.

I don't recall comics being shipped in boxes/cases in the 60s or 70s.

Here you go, then, a box of unopened comics:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/sad-sack-fun-around-the-world-1-unopened-box-of-file-copies-harvey-1974-condition-average-nm-/a/121431-11405.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

You see, retail sellers may receive their comics in unboxed bundles, but the distributors who supply them may receive larger quantities (up to 300 or so) by the box.

Solving this apparent confusion is, of course, thinking outside the box. ;)

Hmmm...learned something new today.

Thanks

Off topic, but if this was a box of hulk 181s I wonder what an auction estimate would be.