• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MILE HIGH ACTION #1 VS ALLENTOWN DETECTIVE # 27

92 posts in this topic

I'll consider buying restored if the pages haven't been treated and if they are off-white to white and if the cover work is slight to moderate and of course depending on how much I need or want the book. I can only afford to collect low to mid grade golden age so I'm used to seeing a lot of "repair" work done on books... so slight pro work doesn't bother me a whole lot, especially if there's a considerable price drop.One thing I can't tolerate though, is a restored fine to nm cover with tan pages.

i would only suspect that if J.S had at one time owned the book..

Based upon my conversations, JS was the broker on the Action run of #1 to #22 or #23 when the books were sold to Dave. This may possibly be the reason for persistent rumours of possible colour touch on some of these books.

Can't say since I've never seen the book myself. Guess we'll just have to go with Steve's word until the book eventually hits the marketplace, which is not going to be anytime soon.

Why does this rumor of Action 1 with color touch still exist? frustrated.gif

The only "color touch" it has, is the word "Church" on the upper cover.

As long as the owner of the MH Action 1 selfishly continues to refuse to permit any photos or scans to be taken, and to allow any third party experts to see it and verify that it`s free of color touch or any other restoration, then the rumors will persist.

i have heard this too...i would think certainly chuck knows who the very 1st owner was? has he ever said who the very 1st buyer of the book was? i do know it was sold in 1982 for 25k...

OMG!! could this be the copy offered to me by Dan Mannarino in 1986 for 29,000?? foreheadslap.gif

As long as the owner of the MH Action 1 selfishly continues to refuse to permit any photos or scans to be taken, and to allow any third party experts to see it and verify that it`s free of color touch or any other restoration, then the rumors will persist.

Well, you know. Rich people are always selfish. poke2.gif

Bah, that wouldn't stop it. The Honus Wagner PSA 8 suffers from similar rumors.

Yea, what a selfish jerk tongue.gif

But seriously I WOULD like to see more info come out about the book.

Steve Fishler says the Edgar Church Action #1 does not have color touch.

As long as the owner of the MH Action 1 selfishly continues to refuse to permit any photos or scans to be taken, and to allow any third party experts to see it and verify that it`s free of color touch or any other restoration now and not years ago, then the rumors will persist.

As long as the owner of the MH Action 1 selfishly continues to refuse to permit any photos or scans to be taken, and to allow any third party experts to see it and verify that it`s free of color touch or any other restoration now and not years ago, then the rumors will persist.

Then I guess the rumors will just have to persist for those few who insist on believing rumors with no substantiating facts. confused-smiley-013.gif

Then I guess the rumors will just have to persist for those few who insist on believing rumors with no substantiating facts. confused-smiley-013.gif

The rumors would be so easy to dispel with full disclosure and contemporary third party verification. confused-smiley-013.gif

The rumors would be so easy to dispel with full disclosure and contemporary third party verification. confused-smiley-013.gif

If you're saying you wish he'd get the book certified so that everyone else could know what grade it is, I agree with you. I wish everyone would get all of the top pedigree copies of the GA keys slabbed so that we could all see what the best copies are, according to CGC at least.

But Dave's decision not to do that for the Church Action #1 is not sufficient basis for people to engage in rumor mongering about supposed color touch that one of the top dealers in the hobby has said (following his examination of the book) does not exist on that book. I haven't seen anyone with any first-hand information say that the book has color touch. Have you?

If you're saying you wish he'd get the book certified so that everyone else could know what grade it is, I agree with you. I wish everyone would get all of the top pedigree copies of the GA keys slabbed so that we could all see what the best copies are, according to CGC at least.

But Dave's decision not to do that for the Church Action #1 is not sufficient basis for people to engage in rumor mongering about supposed color touch that one of the top dealers in the hobby has said (following his examination of the book) does not exist on that book. I haven't seen anyone with any first-hand information say that the book has color touch. Have you?

I'm not saying the rumor mongers are right. I'm just saying as long as there's so little transparency, there will be grist for the rumor mill. That's a fact. Unfortunate, but a fact.

BTW, it doesn't have to be CGC, just a current verification in this modern era of uptightedness about restoration. And for my own selfish reasons, I wish he'd let us see what the book looks like. wink.gif

I believe the rumor was traced back to an old google groups post

BFscomics Dec 3 1998, 1:00 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.marketplace

From: bfscom...@aol.com (BFscomics) - Find messages by this author

Date: 1998/12/03

Subject: Re: Does restoring reduce value?

Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

.>Why would anyone want to restore a VF or better copy of anything, let alone

>Detective 27?

Someone color touched the Mile High Action 1. If that answers your question.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Alan,

Why not restore it? I can give you a good reason. The color-touch

done to the Action 1 (depending, of course, on what was used) has

almost guaranteed the degradation of the book as it ages, in the spot

on which color-touch occurred. Most medium used in color-touching

books continues to age, even after it has dried. What happens is

that any area where color-touch has been applied will do one of two

things once the color-touch starts to crack and crizzle (aligatoring

which is commonly seen on old paintings).

a) This aging will cause extreme torque force on the paper

and will either tear the paper apart

or

b) the color-touch will flake off revealing the area

underneath

This, of course, assumes that the area that was color-touched was then

not reglossed to make it match the original gloss of the Action 1. I,

by the way, highly doubt that this was the case. Cracking and

crizzling occurs after a period of about 10-15 years, so that Action 1

(which I think was done in the early eighties) is due for more

restoration really soon.

The money spent on the improvement of a high-grade book is better