• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling slabs then replacing with raws?

9 posts in this topic

I have a problem, I have trouble letting go. I keep intending to sell some stuff off, and have gotten a good portion of stuff graded recently. Is it totally OCD crazy to sell a book slabbed, and then go pick up a raw and 1/4 of the price to fill the hole that was left?

I have a problem, I have trouble letting go. I keep intending to sell some stuff off, and have gotten a good portion of stuff graded recently. Is it totally OCD crazy to sell a book slabbed, and then go pick up a raw and 1/4 of the price to fill the hole that was left?

No, it‘s what I would constantly do – in fact if the book satisfies me I just get rid of the case. Professional grading should be just a warranty, not an end in itself, and there shouldn’t be all that price difference as long as you have taken advantage of the service.

In fact, there is little difference when buying more costly SA books if the seller is reputable and you know he’s reliable on grading.

But my intention is to clear out my house some, and save of cash for a few big purchases. The 1/4 number I just threw out there knowing most raws sell for about 1/4 to 1/2 the value of a graded book.

Hmmm..., not in my experience. I guess it depends on how carefully you shop, and what grades you are talking about. My typical buy price is 1/2 - 3/4 GPA.

I often get books in 9.0 - 9.4 for less than what equivalent raw ones go for. In the case of slabbed books, 9.0-9.2 puts a label on a book that it is not NM or better, so they are often dumped. In the case of raw books, there is always that (sometime unrealistic) hope that the CGC grade will be higher.

I think it depends on the age of the books. I prefer buying graded 9.2 cgc stuff if its pre-1970ish, on silver age stuff I tend to worry more about hidden restoration or the difference between 9.0/9.2/9.4 making a significant difference in price. On a copper age book like ASM 361 (1st carnage) it runs $100 for a CGC 9.6 but I dont think most dealers would try getting $100 out of a raw. $50 or less is common. (For now). So theres an advantage to buying newer stuff raw compared to old.

I think it depends on the age of the books. I prefer buying graded 9.2 cgc stuff if its pre-1970ish, on silver age stuff I tend to worry more about hidden restoration or the difference between 9.0/9.2/9.4 making a significant difference in price. On a copper age book like ASM 361 (1st carnage) it runs $100 for a CGC 9.6 but I dont think most dealers would try getting $100 out of a raw. $50 or less is common. (For now). So theres an advantage to buying newer stuff raw compared to old.

... so true..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I enjoy the extra protection the slab offers my book when other people are handling them, especially non collectors.

It doesn't happen much, but I do like to display my books and it does happen.

I also collect a lot of modern ASMs and enjoy having them in 9.8 even though I can have the raws at a fraction of the cost. It's fun putting a high grade run together.