• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about binding defects on new comics

4 posts in this topic

I was looking at some comics at the supermarket,no comic store here.Well,anyways I noticed the spines on them were color flaking,split but not all the way.Is this normal? It seems it'd be pretty hard to find a nm comic if this is the case.Anyone else notice this? Thanks....... confused-smiley-013.gif Or does it fall into the same old cliche "They don't make them like they use to" category?

I was looking at some comics at the supermarket,no comic store here.Well,anyways I noticed the spines on them were color flaking,split but not all the way.Is this normal? It seems it'd be pretty hard to find a nm comic if this is the case.Anyone else notice this? Thanks....... confused-smiley-013.gifOr does it fall into the same old cliche "They don't make them like they use to" category?

You got it. Some of the guys here have said they get decent book, but I've had the same problem as you for over 2 years now. I've complained about my Ultimate Spidey books suffering from the "white spine", especially since Marvel switched over from the heavier stock board. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was looking at some comics at the supermarket,no comic store here.Well,anyways I noticed the spines on them were color flaking,split but not all the way.Is this normal? It seems it'd be pretty hard to find a nm comic if this is the case.Anyone else notice this? Thanks....... confused-smiley-013.gifOr does it fall into the same old cliche "They don't make them like they use to" category?

You got it. Some of the guys here have said they get decent book, but I've had the same problem as you for over 2 years now. I've complained about my Ultimate Spidey books suffering from the "white spine", especially since Marvel switched over from the heavier stock board. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well,when did they switch? It's been since 93 that I've purchased any titles in quantities.What they remind me of off hand is how Image Comics made their covers,but I don't have any to compare with me......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well,when did they switch? It's been since 93 that I've purchased any titles in quantities.What they remind me of off hand is how Image Comics made their covers,but I don't have any to compare with me......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Back when Ultimate Spidey started and thru around issues #26-30 they used a heavy card-stock cover. Sometimes it would cause the "white spine", but other times you could find awesome copies. It was alot easier to find books without obvious spine stress (that's why there's so many HG copies of the USM White variant out there; you can't see the "white spine" defect, and there's no spine stress). After #30'ish, Marvel switched over to the cheap-@ss s#it they use now. The flimsy, super-glossy cover. It's incredibly tough (near impossible) to find ultra HG copies of these on the rack.