• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #123 (Vol.1)

7 posts in this topic

The first two pages of issue 123 looks so much like Barry Smith's art I wondered if he did the first couple of pages and Mr. Trimpe finished the book. I can't imagine under what circumstances this would happen without any note as to why. I remember back in the day an artist picked up for Gene Colan when Mr. Colan had the flu. Perhaps I am over thinking this one? It just seems uncanny to me how much the first two pages looks like Barry Smith's art or maybe it doesn't and my imagination is running wild.

I think a fair bit of the Marie Severin over Trimpe stuff looks a bit like Steranko of that time; some more than others. I interviewed Herb a few years back for a local magazine (he was a Hudson Valley guy) and just looked back at the piece, but the part I am recalling did not make it in. He mentioned that he, Steranko, Starlin, Neal Adams, and Barry Smith were all starting at Marvel around the same time, and that there was a lot of influence on each other, with a movement to combine Kirby-style action and Adams' realism. Something to that effect.

Herb was a gentleman who always made time for fans. I had just started high school when a few of my comic collecting friends and I started a comic book club and organized a convention at the mall in Poughkeepsie. Gracious local creators participated at no cost; our line-up included Herb, Dan Green, Greg Larocque, and the Pinis. Herb autographed every issue of my full Godzilla run that day, and drew me a Hulk sketch that Dan Green promptly inked. Neither would take a dime.

That famous Colan gets the flu story you're thinking of was the three-part Iron Man/Sub-Mariner fight that crossed over from TTA and TOS. I can't remember which of the two books it was, but Colan got sick two pages into part three and Kirby finished it. The effect is quite jarring, as they are two very different shades of awesome. The battle was reprinted in the Fireside Books Greatest Battles edition, and Stan Lee recounts the art-change story in the text intro to that story.

Thanks, sorry if I rambled but you got me reminiscing. Growing up close to NYC, there was lots of Marvel and D.C. Talent living in the region. Many were kind to a bunch of kids with a comic book club putting together small-scale conventions for the love of comics: everyone mentioned, plus Joe Sinnott, Joe Staton, Bob Oksner, Fred Hembeck. I'm afraid I'm forgetting a few.

Thanks, sorry if I rambled but you got me reminiscing. Growing up close to NYC, there was lots of Marvel and D.C. Talent living in the region. Many were kind to a bunch of kids with a comic book club putting together small-scale conventions for the love of comics: everyone mentioned, plus Joe Sinnott, Joe Staton, Bob Oksner, Fred Hembeck. I'm afraid I'm forgetting a few.
Keep rambling. It's interesting stuff to hear.

Keep rambling. It's interesting stuff to hear.

I really wish there was more of this kind\type of rambling......