• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Key Bronze age Horror comics?

123 posts in this topic

I've been collecting DC BA horror for awhile now. Here's what I like...

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 1, 5 (becomes Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion)

Ghosts 1

Witching Hour 1, 5 (Wrightson), 85 (final issue, tough in HG)

Weird War Tales 1, 93 (1st Creature Commandos)

House of Mystery 174 (1st new format), 175 (1st Cain), 179 (1st Wrightson) All Wrightson covers are sought after, perhaps 236 the most? 290 (1st I, Vampire)

House of Secrets 81 (1st New format, Abel is host), 92 (1st Swamp Thing), all Wrightson covers esp. 100

Sinister House of Secret Love 1, 5 (becomes Secrets of Sinister House), 6 (Cain, Abel, 1st Eve)

Secrets of Haunted House 31 (1st Mister E)

Weird Mystery Tales 21 (fantastic Wrightson werewolf cover)

Weird Mystery Tales #1 - 1st Destiny (Endless / Sandman)

Tomb Of Dracula 1,10

Monster Of Frankenstein 1

Supernatural Thrillers 1 (1st Living Mummy)

Savage Tales #1 (1st Man-Thing) magazine but such a key

Fear 10, 19, 20

Marvel Spotlight 2 - 1st Werewolf By Night

Dead Of Night 11 - 1st Scarecrow aka Straw Man, one of my favorites that nobody else cares about

Dead of night 11 looks bad ! Good story?

Really good, it's about a painting of The Scarecrow that comes to life, the painting is a portal to his world. He was only in 2 other books back in the day, Marvel Spotlight #26 and Marvel Two-In-One #18. Marvel had planned to give him his own series and you'll see Scarecrow listed in some of the full page subscription solicitation ads, but they started to thin out their horro line so it, and the character got axed. He came back for a bit in the 1990's in Dr Strange as one of The Fear Lords. Character with good potential that not enough guys with talent saw fit to use I guess

I've been collecting DC BA horror for awhile now. Here's what I like...

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 1, 5 (becomes Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion)

Ghosts 1

Witching Hour 1, 5 (Wrightson), 85 (final issue, tough in HG)

Weird War Tales 1, 93 (1st Creature Commandos)

House of Mystery 174 (1st new format), 175 (1st Cain), 179 (1st Wrightson) All Wrightson covers are sought after, perhaps 236 the most? 290 (1st I, Vampire)

House of Secrets 81 (1st New format, Abel is host), 92 (1st Swamp Thing), all Wrightson covers esp. 100

Sinister House of Secret Love 1, 5 (becomes Secrets of Sinister House), 6 (Cain, Abel, 1st Eve)

Secrets of Haunted House 31 (1st Mister E)

Weird Mystery Tales 21 (fantastic Wrightson werewolf cover)

Weird Mystery Tales #1 - 1st Destiny (Endless / Sandman)

Good call. (thumbs u Not one of my favorite covers, which is probably why I forgot that one.

Another fun book to own, though not really key, is Plop 1. (Classic Wrightson story.)

Tomb Of Dracula 1,10

Monster Of Frankenstein 1

Supernatural Thrillers 1 (1st Living Mummy)

Savage Tales #1 (1st Man-Thing) magazine but such a key

Fear 10, 19, 20

Marvel Spotlight 2 - 1st Werewolf By Night

Dead Of Night 11 - 1st Scarecrow aka Straw Man, one of my favorites that nobody else cares about

Dead of night 11 looks bad ! Good story?

Really good, it's about a painting of The Scarecrow that comes to life, the painting is a portal to his world. He was only in 2 other books back in the day, Marvel Spotlight #26 and Marvel Two-In-One #18. Marvel had planned to give him his own series and you'll see Scarecrow listed in some of the full page subscription solicitation ads, but they started to thin out their horro line so it, and the character got axed. He came back for a bit in the 1990's in Dr Strange as one of The Fear Lords. Character with good potential that not enough guys with talent saw fit to use I guess

It's only want list now. Sounds like an awesome read!

So what happened, Harvey forgot to renew copyrights? Or are these folks just stealing these because nobody is going to sue?

Like with the Planet Comics reprints.

Maybe in the public domain, like you said?

I'm glad I never dumped my misc. Marvel bronze horror, though I still can't seem to find that copy of Legion of Monsters in Marvel Premiere.

This really is a cool comic, I know I read it long ago, but can't remember a thing, thanks Lonzilla!

FQuASTd.jpg

Weird Mystery Tales 4 (100 pager)...great Wrightson cover (as always)....particularly coveted in higher grade as it is black and a 100 pager

I was quite disappointed when I read this issue. Some really, really boring story reprint choices inside.

So what happened, Harvey forgot to renew copyrights? Or are these folks just stealing these because nobody is going to sue?

Like with the Planet Comics reprints.

Maybe in the public domain, like you said?

I'm glad I never dumped my misc. Marvel bronze horror, though I still can't seem to find that copy of Legion of Monsters in Marvel Premiere.

This really is a cool comic, I know I read it long ago, but can't remember a thing, thanks Lonzilla!

FQuASTd.jpg

(thumbs u When I was in grade school that Dead Of Night literally jumped out at me from the 7-11 spinner rack and I had to have it. It was worth hearing the usual 15 minute story from my Dad about what he had to do to earn a quarter in the 1940's before he bought it for me haha.

I haven't read that MP Legion Of Monsters for a good while, was a fun one-shot story where Man-Thing, Morbius, Werewolf By Night and Ghost Rider all get "cured" and become human again. If only Ploog had drawn that issue, he was the Marvel horror king back then

Surprised this Adams classic has not been mentioned!?!? (shrug)

There are really not a lot of "1st appearance" type books as compared to the Key BA Superhero books, but there are a lot of books with great covers in high demand (analogous to GA horror in that respect).

hos88.jpg

Surprised this Adams classic has not been mentioned!?!? (shrug)

There are really not a lot of "1st appearance" type books as compared to the Key BA Superhero books, but there are a lot of books with great covers in high demand (analogous to GA horror in that respect).

hos88.jpg

Gorgeous high grade classic cover!

Weird Mystery Tales 4 (100 pager)...great Wrightson cover (as always)....particularly coveted in higher grade as it is black and a 100 pager

I was quite disappointed when I read this issue. Some really, really boring story reprint choices inside.

There are insides? ?

So where do we net out on borderline superheroes -- I'd feel fairly good adding Demon #1; what are thoughts on ASM #101 (first Morbius), MS5 Ghost Rider, Son of Satan, etc.?

Also, Showcase #80 first SA Phantom Stranger narrowly misses with a late '69 cover date, but PS#1 is in there.

Anyone remember the Patchwork Man from one of the DC horror titles?