• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Key Bronze age Horror comics?

123 posts in this topic

Really awesome stuff in here and can't imagine what else remains to be seen, but are all of these being posted considered "key" one way or another?

It appears the thread morphed into a favorite cover type of thread. However, it was mentioned that many of these are 'key' for no other reason than a classic cover, similar to Batman 227.

Kinda what I was getting at, but don't get me wrong; these books are eye candy regardless.

Wish I wasn't lazy so I could create some sort of spreadsheet/check list of all the all the key horror books.

Bronze age horror IMO really doesnt have what I think you are calling "Keys".

^^ Lots of books that are popular for their covers, but very few keys.

Maybe first Swamp Thing but that book and all the others are in such plentiful supply that there is no problem obtaining them, until you specify high grade. Then you start to see nosebleed prices.

(shrug) What do supply and prices have to do with keys?

Im a Larkin fan so when I got back into comics after a hiatus years ago the first bronze I grabbed was Savage Tales, early Savage Swords from my youth, the several great Deadly Hands covers (Larkin Iron Fist #19) and the vamp tales annual (only 1 in 9.8 if you are a slab guy). :)

Really awesome stuff in here and can't imagine what else remains to be seen, but are all of these being posted considered "key" one way or another?

It appears the thread morphed into a favorite cover type of thread. However, it was mentioned that many of these are 'key' for no other reason than a classic cover, similar to Batman 227.

Agreed.

Batman 227 is absolutely a book but for the cover.

However, I think Detective 395 definitely belongs on this list.

First O'Neil / Adams Batman and a true horror story - "The Secret of the Waiting Graves."

I actually thought about 'Tec 395, but if you read the story, there really isn't any supernatural element to it. The drug vapors from the strange flowers gave the antagonists their extended lifespan. With Bats 227, involvement of a ghost was actually a key part of the story and the ending was very typical of the DC horror stories of the time. Brave and the Bold 93 is a better example. Another great Adams Bats book, but I don't view this as a key though.

Bronze age horror IMO really doesnt have what I think you are calling "Keys".

^^ Lots of books that are popular for their covers, but very few keys.

Maybe first Swamp Thing but that book and all the others are in such plentiful supply that there is no problem obtaining them, until you specify high grade. Then you start to see nosebleed prices.

(shrug) What do supply and prices have to do with keys?

Im a Larkin fan so when I got back into comics after a hiatus years ago the first bronze I grabbed was Savage Tales, early Savage Swords from my youth, the several great Deadly Hands covers (Larkin Iron Fist #19) and the vamp tales annual (only 1 in 9.8 if you are a slab guy). :)

Super cover. Very few in high grade. Everyone wants the highest grade. They pay more for higher graded comics.

like alot of the GA PCH if it ever comes down to just the covers... :) 3 of my Bronze favs.especially the last one

MrEjsT.jpg

slightly OT- but....

heres' the original cover VT#11 that I picked up this year:

pYsXe2VO_1006160857181gpadd.jpg

and I have most of the interior art pages to that story in my CAF as well:

Vampire Tales #11 Artwork.

lot of other bronze horror art in my CAF gallery as well.

like alot of the GA PCH if it ever comes down to just the covers... :) 3 of my Bronze favs.especially the last one

MrEjsT.jpg

slightly OT- but....

heres' the original cover VT#11 that I picked up this year:

pYsXe2VO_1006160857181gpadd.jpg

and I have most of the interior art pages to that story in my CAF as well:

Vampire Tales #11 Artwork.

lot of other bronze horror art in my CAF gallery as well.

Insanely awesome. (worship)

Yeah, the painted covers of the Marvel 70's horror mags are definitely awesome! :cloud9:

I don't really consider the superhero/horror x-over books (Bat 227) in the same genre as the exclusively horror titles (Witching Hour, etc), but they're still classics.

Awesome collection of art in your gallery and those cover paintings are :cloud9:

While we are OT, I'll post one of my few OA scores from years ago that I still have proudly displayed. This originally was a back cover inhouse ad on the back of Dracula Lives! #5 by Pablo Marcos. It also appears later on in the run on the inside pages. Type was set/printed in the black cape area!

950331-PabloDrac.jpg

Awesome collection of art in your gallery and those cover paintings are :cloud9:

While we are OT, I'll post one of my few OA scores from years ago that I still have proudly displayed. This originally was a back cover inhouse ad on the back of Dracula Lives! #5 by Pablo Marcos. It also appears later on in the run on the inside pages. Type was set/printed in the black cape area!

950331-PabloDrac.jpg

STUNNING.

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

950331-PabloDrac.jpg

That is awesome!

950331-PabloDrac.jpg

That is awesome!

Agreed!

I've been collecting DC BA horror for awhile now. Here's what I like...

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 1, 5 (becomes Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion)

Ghosts 1

Witching Hour 1, 5 (Wrightson), 85 (final issue, tough in HG)

Weird War Tales 1, 93 (1st Creature Commandos)

House of Mystery 174 (1st new format), 175 (1st Cain), 179 (1st Wrightson) All Wrightson covers are sought after, perhaps 236 the most? 290 (1st I, Vampire)

House of Secrets 81 (1st New format, Abel is host), 92 (1st Swamp Thing), all Wrightson covers esp. 100

Sinister House of Secret Love 1, 5 (becomes Secrets of Sinister House), 6 (Cain, Abel, 1st Eve)

Secrets of Haunted House 31 (1st Mister E)

Weird Mystery Tales 21 (fantastic Wrightson werewolf cover)

I like Witching Hour and Ghosts both very underrated series.

Witching_Hour_1.jpg

160325619875-1.jpg