• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Key Bronze age Horror comics?

123 posts in this topic

Okay, I have to put this out there because I just noticed Marvin, on the cover of Eerie 49,....appears to be a dead ringer for Swamp Thing. I checked, and Overstreet doesn't mention it.

To me it looks more like the Man-Thing. it always has that hunchback sort of look. Marvel created the "vegetation mass" creature first.

Actually, they were created at the same time (Man-Thing and Swamp Thing.) I think the creators of both were even roommates at the time. I thought I read an article a few years back about how it was a coincidence they both came up with these creations at the same time.

Doesn't The Heap predate both by decades though? (shrug)

^^

Heap -- Air Fighters #3 (1942)...I know because I've been looking....did just grab a Savage Tales #1 on Friday to go with HOS#92...with a BWS sig on one of the Conan pages...no 1st Heap yet, though...

Okay, I have to put this out there because I just noticed Marvin, on the cover of Eerie 49,....appears to be a dead ringer for Swamp Thing. I checked, and Overstreet doesn't mention it.

To me it looks more like the Man-Thing. it always has that hunchback sort of look. Marvel created the "vegetation mass" creature first.

Actually, they were created at the same time (Man-Thing and Swamp Thing.) I think the creators of both were even roommates at the time. I thought I read an article a few years back about how it was a coincidence they both came up with these creations at the same time.

Doesn't The Heap predate both by decades though? (shrug)

^^

Heap -- Air Fighters #3 (1942)...I know because I've been looking....did just grab a Savage Tales #1 on Friday to go with HOS#92...with a BWS sig on one of the Conan pages...no 1st Heap yet, though...

well I doubt two roommates are going to come up with the same thing / same time and its considered a coincidence. especially when the original concept is given to Gerry Conway by Roy Thomas and Stan Lee

Wiikipedia says.....

As described in the text featurette "The Story Behind the Scenes" in Savage Tales #1 (cover-dated May 1971), the black-and-white adventure fantasy magazine in which the character debuted in an 11-page origin story, Man-Thing was conceived in discussions between Marvel Comics editor Stan Lee and writer Roy Thomas, and that together they created five possible origins. Lee provided the name, which had previously been used for unrelated creatures in Marvel's early science-fiction/fantasy anthology Tales of Suspense #7 (Jan. 1960) and #81 (Sept. 1966),[5][6] as well as the concept of the man losing sentience.

As Thomas recalled in 2002:

Stan Lee called me in; it would've been late '70 or early '71. [...] He had a couple of sentences or so for the concept — I think it was mainly the notion of a guy working on some experimental drug or something for the government, his being accosted by spies, and getting fused with the swamp so that he becomes this creature. The creature itself sounds a lot like the Heap, but neither of us mentioned that character at the time.... I didn't care much for the name 'Man-Thing', because we already had the Thing [of the superhero team the Fantastic Four], and I thought it would be confusing to also have another one called Man-Thing.[7]

Thomas worked out a detailed plot[8] and gave it to Gerry Conway to -script. Thomas and Conway are credited as writers, with Gray Morrow as artist. A second story, written by Len Wein and drawn by Neal Adams, was prepared at that time, but, upon Savage Tales' cancellation after that single issue,[9] "took a year or two to see print", according to Thomas.[10] That occurred in Astonishing Tales #12 (June 1972), in which the seven-page story was integrated in its entirety within the 21-page feature "Ka-Zar", starring Marvel's jungle-lord hero. This black-and-white interlude (with yellow highlighting) segued to Man-Thing's introduction to color comics as Ka-Zar's antagonist-turned-ally in this and the following issue (both written by Thomas, with the first penciled by John Buscema and the second by Buscema and Rich Buckler).

The Wein-written Man-Thing story appeared in between Wein's first[11] and second[12] version of his DC Comics character Swamp Thing. Wein was Conway's roommate at the time, and as Thomas recalled in 2008,

Gerry and I thought that, unconsciously, the origin in Swamp Thing #1 was a bit too similar to the origin of Man-Thing a year-and-a-half earlier. There was vague talk at the time around Marvel of legal action, but it was never really pursued. I don't know if any letters even changed hands between Marvel and DC. [...] We weren't happy with the situation over the Swamp Thing #1 origin, but we figured it was an accident. Gerry was rooming with Len at the time and tried to talk him into changing the Swamp Thing's origin. Len didn't see the similarities, so he went ahead with what he was going to do. The two characters verged off after that origin, so it didn't make much difference, anyway.[13]