• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Tale of the estate sale Silver Age DC find

44 posts in this topic

The last Estate sale I attended a few months back, advertised on Saturday. When I got there, the comics were sold on Friday, the first day of the sale. You cannot get upset over these things. It happens.

Happens at garage sales too... one place that advertised old Spider-Man comics was open at 8am, and I was outside watching him set up. Beat 90's stuff was all I found. He said he sold an Amazing Spidey 4 for $200 the night before.

It's not worth waking up early, it's better to give these guys a B.S. excuse about having a pocket full of money and a family event the next morning. That seems to work better than playing fair... :(

Maybe I should use that B.S. excuse for the next estate sale if I see something online, make the call and see what plays out. I been to many estate sales this year and had no luck. My closest touch missed out was that I was 5 minutes too late to grab the box of comics. The guy was in line early one hour before me! He took the box in his arm and walked out. I saw what was in the box, it was full of some early BA marvels and DC, some MADs. :frustrated:

Like you said, it happens!

Sorry you missed out on the comics, but like others have said, they were no great loss. The best book that I saw was Green Lantern 76, and that was a rag. They are all common books that are easily found. As Robot Man said, the other stuff there was worth way more than the comics. That old cap pistol, for instance. I've sold several of those for hundreds of dollars apiece. The Lionel trains were another good find. If you could have picked up some of the other items at the sale for a good price, you might have been able to flip them, and then buy nice condition copies of any of those comics that you wanted for probably nothing out of pocket.

That cap gun looks to be a cast iron Gene Autry gun. Would go for decent money. The trains are hit and miss. I don't usually do well with them because I don't know enough about them. It all depends on how the items are priced at the sale. If priced right, it is worth the chance.

The key to estate and garage sales is not to get frustrated. Got to hit a lot of them and be prepared to go home empty handed. But every once in a while...I always ask if they have anything I'm interested in in that they haven't put out. Once in a while it will pay off. Have patience grasshopper!