• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasons to sell a book from your collection

39 posts in this topic

Wife... (tsk)

Running out of room

lol Luckily some folks have no idea about this one.

Good one - I did some of that purging for room back in the early 90s - Savage Sword of Conan, and a ton of 80's X-creMENt.

Charity?

Someone you know really really wants one of your books?

I sell for the many reasons and I buy for just as many?

Have multiple copies or selling undercopy and sometimes overcopy.

Have a raw and slab so sell the slab generally.

Someone put a WTB and I enjoy helping others fill the hole.

Not in my main focus of collecting

Books that I think are selling fairly valued that I can find again.

Bought something I knew would sell easy but I don't really collect

Forces me to hunt for the book again and I love the hunt

Let's me discuss comics and I love doing that

Helping to clear space but it rarely works as I find more cool comics to take that space.

Book is rough and I want an upgrade. This can bite you as the search prices go up.

Copy has a defect i really don't like.

Book is slabbed and easy to find raw. I don't collect slabs, I collect comics .

Need a little cash infusion to buy something comic related

Wife says needs a little cash to pay bills

And lastly I sometimes sell books that I got from people that later turn out to be pompous know it all arse's. You know who you are! It's freeing to sell those. No longer communicating and giving that person an opportunity to continue their inane misguided judgmental behavior. Those books you bought from that person that had undisclosed restoration, rusted staples, missing pages, etc. And then keeping the books that you got while traveling picked from that persons "claimed" store.

Thanks everyone --- I think we've got lots of the same theme, so some of the original reasons need to be broader.

Originally it said "Unacceptable grade" but could be "Unacceptable grade/defect". (thumbs u

"Needing the money" doesn't speak to the choice of selling one comic over another. Yes, you need the money, but why not sell a different book instead?

Item liquidation for grail acquisition....or is that too similar to some of the other reasons given?

To me, it's a somewhat distinct mindset...there's that item sitting out there I've wanted forever; I know where and how much, so I get a bit of a ticking clock feeling, which temporarily broadens the list of what I'm willing to part with, sometimes even causing a re-examination of items classified as part of the "permanent" collection....kind of a couple notches up from "that's cool, I'll sell this to buy that."

Make sense?

what about selling because of an unappealing defect or PQ.

we all know that no 2 books are exactly the same. I've sold books because I didn't like the defect (i.e a stain or writing or a big crease)

How'd it get in your collection in the first place?!?!

If I need to raise funds and I look at my books I choose what to sell based on two things...

And all of this assumes that the book Im buying is more desirable by me than the one or ones Im considering selling

1. Is the book I'm thinking of selling hot and likely to plateau or cool in price?

2. Assuming it's not a one of a kind, how easily can I buy another copy of this book at some point in the future?

Back when I needed to raise funds I sold some decent mid-grade GA Sci-Fi, I've had a few chances to buy similar copies in the last year so Im glad to know it's somewhat easy to replace.

I did not even consider selling some other books that were rarely on the market and had sky rocketed in price out of my buying price range.

If I try to sell book(s) from my collection it would be mainly to thin the herd and make room for new comics. Although I do not sell one book to buy the same book in a better grade.

I just do not have the time to create a listing or sell a book any ol' time. So it is kind of like "well I have the free time right now and it looks like this book which I did not intend to hold onto for 20 years has some interest(It's hot)". Then I make a move to sell it. This goes double for when I have multiples of the issue.

The money gained is earmarked to acquire a new more desirable comic, although it may not be rolled over into that immediately. So also to raise funds.