• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on CGC'd book values???

49 posts in this topic

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but have a legit question for the more knowledgeable peeps out there!! I've been noticing at comic cons, online, & comic book shops that 95% of the comic books that are CGC'd they're selling for almost TWICE what the current overstreet priceguide has them listed for at their respective grades!? Is this the norm? Does that mean when I'm buying & selling my own slabbed books that they're worth 80-100% more than the guide says? I mean I know it costs money to ship them in, grade them, and ship them back... but does that really make a book that's listed for around $280-$350 worth $600?!?

I tried googling this question but couldn't get any solid results in a reason. Hopefully some of my peers here can enlighten me!? Thanks! And happy holidays! =)

95% of the comic books that are CGC'd they're selling for almost TWICE what the current overstreet priceguide has them listed for at their respective grades!? Is this the norm? Does that mean when I'm buying & selling my own slabbed books that they're worth 80-100% more than the guide says? I mean I know it costs money to ship them in, grade them, and ship them back... but does that really make a book that's listed for around $280-$350 worth $600?!?

First off, I think you are generalizing this too broadly and the 95% is an exaggeration.

Depending on the grade, slabbed comics sometimes sell to a discount to Overstreet, especially in the non key, 7.5 to 8.5 range. With moderns, often the 9.4,9.6 range will sell better raw than slabbed. Also, remember, the highest grade in Overstreet is a 9.2. Multiples start to occur for higher graded books.

Ok, let me narrow it down to a specific book at the moment. But I've ran into this at almost every silverage book I've wanted tho. I'm looking for a Star Trek Gold Key #1. I see the 7.5 selling for $550 where a 8.0 is only overstreeted @ $488. The 3.5 selling for $225 when a 4.0 is overstreeted @ $122.

So I guess my question is what is considered a "fair" price compared to the overstreet price when "shopping" for a book? At the end NOONE wants to overpay for a book. How do I know it's TRUE worth?

And why am I not getting any email notifications that people are responding to this!? lol

I just happened to log in and check my thread because I thought it strange no one replied at all!? Then I saw you 2 did. I used to get notifications of thread activity. Strange =(

Overstreet can be thrown out the window on MANY books. I know a lot of people do not like hearing this but Oversteet was written in a non-internet era.

Overstreet was published earlier this year and is reporting on pricing trends that were reported from 2015.

While it is still a valuable resource as far as looking at information about books and keys for certain issues in a run... I honestly believe that Overstreet has passed it's usefulness as a guide to what things are "worth".

I do not bring a copy with me to shows nor consult one when looking online at books I am interested in. If I am interested in a book, I look to see various auction histories to see what people have actually paid along with GPA.

Overstreet still has some value. GPA on 7.5 is somewhere between 300-500, 8.0 is somewhere between 650-800, 3.5 is $150.

Are you looking at BINs on eBay? People put all kinds of crazy prices on carp on eBay, internet sales sites, etc.

This appears to be a terrible time to buy anything - everyone appears to have their Christmas bonuses that they are burning through with no regards to price.

Overstreet can be thrown out the window on MANY books. I know a lot of people do not like hearing this but Oversteet was written in a non-internet era.

Overstreet was published earlier this year and is reporting on pricing trends that were reported from 2015.

While it is still a valuable resource as far as looking at information about books and keys for certain issues in a run... I honestly believe that Overstreet has passed it's usefulness as a guide to what things are "worth".

I do not bring a copy with me to shows nor consult one when looking online at books I am interested in. If I am interested in a book, I look to see various auction histories to see what people have actually paid along with GPA.

To Buzzetta's point, there's no use in using year old price averages (if not older) to determine current value. The price may be substantially out of range, up or down. GPA is really the only useful, real-time way to gauge a books current value and trend unless you're a dealer that knows value due to immersion. For me, its become a reversal... I look at GPA to determine the value of a raw book. Regarding a slabbed books value over raw; in my mind there's substantial value in knowing you're getting what you expect. Not saying I don't buy raw books, but for some books I feel better buying them slabbed and don't mind paying a premium.

From what I've seen online there is no variant cover for this book

Sounds like you should do more research before buying such a high dollar book :think:

Acck - maybe you're right - they all look the same to me.

They do lol. The whole reason I'm looking for this book is cuz William Shatner is going to be at a local ComicCon this coming year. I LOVE him! Especially as "Denny Crane" lol, so I wanna have something worthy of him signing when I meet him. So essentially I'm going to have to crack the book open for him to sign it, but have it witnessed & sent back to get CGC'd again so the signature is sealed forever =)

Shatner is awesome!

The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is specifically for raw books. Even for raw books, the Price guide is only a guide. More common books - which is most of the universe - often sell for substantially less than Guide prices. Better, hard to find and high demand issues often sell for more than Guide prices.

There is no accepted price guide for slabbed books. The best source overall is GPA, which records the sale of CGC slabbed books from eBay, Heritage, Comic Connect and a few other auction sites. As such, GPA isn't a Price Guide. It is a real time reporting of actual sales.

Common books in average condition slabbed typically sell for less than OPG just like their raw brethren. High demand and expensive books often bring a premium slabbed. Collectors pay extra for the assurance there has been no restoration and that the grade is what the grade says. Heritage sold a 9.8 - the ONLY 9.8 so far - for $40,000. No one was paying that price for a raw copy that looked NM.

Gold Key's Star Trek 1 is a book that is largely undervalued in the OPG. The book is also - like quite a few Gold Key key issues - very difficult to find in high grade. So once you get to the VF range, the book's price start outpacing OPG significantly.

There is no accepted price guide for slabbed books. The best source overall is GPA, which records the sale of CGC slabbed books from eBay, Heritage, Comic Connect and a few other auction sites. As such, GPA isn't a Price Guide. It is a real time reporting of actual sales.

Thanks for all the input everyone, so apparently the GPA is the best way to "value" a CGC'd book. Since I upgraded to a paid member do I have access to the GPA results? And if so where is it. I tried looking in the forum but didn't see anything listed by that name??

Overstreet still has some value. GPA on 7.5 is somewhere between 300-500, 8.0 is somewhere between 650-800, 3.5 is $150.

Are you looking at BINs on eBay? People put all kinds of crazy prices on carp on eBay, internet sales sites, etc.

This appears to be a terrible time to buy anything - everyone appears to have their Christmas bonuses that they are burning through with no regards to price.

Sorry to beat a dead horse as to speak, but what's this book GPA for a 8.5? If it's not too much to ask you?

Ok, let me narrow it down to a specific book at the moment. But I've ran into this at almost every silverage book I've wanted tho. I'm looking for a Star Trek Gold Key #1. I see the 7.5 selling for $550 where a 8.0 is only overstreeted @ $488. The 3.5 selling for $225 when a 4.0 is overstreeted @ $122.

So I guess my question is what is considered a "fair" price compared to the overstreet price when "shopping" for a book? At the end NOONE wants to overpay for a book. How do I know it's TRUE worth?

And why am I not getting any email notifications that people are responding to this!? lol

I just happened to log in and check my thread because I thought it strange no one replied at all!? Then I saw you 2 did. I used to get notifications of thread activity. Strange =(

The last two regular 7.5s that actually SOLD on ebay went for $353 and $278 respectively. The variant went for $509 in 7.5.

Asking prices are just that, asking prices.

So, in terms of actual SALES, it seems that CGC books of this issue in the 7.5 region are selling below oversrtreet, except the variant cover, which is above (does OPG break out the prices?)

Of course, it's only three sales and there are probably other recorded sales elsewhere (that GPA should advise you of) that may alter how you view those numbers.

Thanks for all the input everyone, so apparently the GPA is the best way to "value" a CGC'd book. Since I upgraded to a paid member do I have access to the GPA results? And if so where is it. I tried looking in the forum but didn't see anything listed by that name??

GPA is more of a day to day going price where Overstreet looks at a larger section of data over a larger time frame for raw books. Slabs just have premium associated with them creating these multiples you speak of.

CGC does not give you free access to GPA data , you need a paid membership GPA's site for that

They do lol. The whole reason I'm looking for this book is cuz William Shatner is going to be at a local ComicCon this coming year. I LOVE him! Especially as "Denny Crane" lol, so I wanna have something worthy of him signing when I meet him. So essentially I'm going to have to crack the book open for him to sign it, but have it witnessed & sent back to get CGC'd again so the signature is sealed forever =)

Shatner is awesome!

If you're doing this out of love, why not just have him sign the case? should be a bunch cheaper, no?

GPA is more of a day to day going price where Overstreet looks at a larger section of data over a larger time frame for raw books.

----

I really wonder how much "looking" and analysis OPG is actually doing.