• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPAnalysis help.

61 posts in this topic

The number of people who have subscribed to this service as a result of seeing requests like Tomega's fulfilled would more than justify the "IP" given away. I am one of those subscribers who only joined because of GPA exposure here.

It is obvious that you have a legal background and not a sales/marketing background.................

OK, so by your reasoning, those of us who pay money to subscribe should sit around all day answering requests for GPA data from those too cheap to subscribe. I suppose that if what you say is true, we could double GPA's subscription base and revenues in a week!

Way to think outside the box, Mushroom! 893applaud-thumb.gif

yeahok.gif

The number of people who have subscribed to this service as a result of seeing requests like Tomega's fulfilled would more than justify the "IP" given away. I am one of those subscribers who only joined because of GPA exposure here.

It is obvious that you have a legal background and not a sales/marketing background.................

OK, so by your reasoning, those of us who pay money to subscribe should sit around all day answering requests for GPA data from those too cheap to subscribe. I suppose that if what you say is true, we could double GPA's subscription base and revenues in a week!

yeahok.gif

Come on, Scott, didn't you know that Bill Gates and Larry Ellison became the richest men in the world by giving their software away for free? I'm sure they're just delighted at the rampant piracy going on in China. yeahok.gif

yeahok.gif

Come on, Scott, didn't you know that Bill Gates and Larry Ellison became the richest men in the world by giving their software away for free? I'm sure they're just delighted at the rampant piracy going on in China. yeahok.gif

Right. It's just like when all of those Chinese people see their friends using pirated software and are so impressed with it that they rush out and buy the licensed version from the store. Happens all the time. I would say that it's a real sales driver, but then I don't have a sales/marketing background, do I.

Keep in mind that the $650 sale of the CGC 9.4 was an ebay auction with a Buy It Now for $650. I hit that Buy It Now as soon as I saw the auction and I own that book now. The $650 was not the result of an actual auction and there's no way in hell I'd sell the book for anywhere near that low an amount. It is one of the very few AA #11s that doesn't have the big printing roller rub near the top staple. Even the 9.8 copy in the census has the roller rub. The book would have sold for substantially more than $650 if the seller hadn't sold it with a BIN. I certainly would have paid more than that for it.

I'm not even in the market for that book, but would've hit that BIN. Guy on CPG tipped you off to that one, IIRC. You were all over that so fast, it made my head spin.

Ok, understand - just wanted to make sure it wasn't the html screwing up on the page. Let me see what we can do for you low-res dudes tongue.gif

The CGC numbers have been appearing in the special Green River report that George was kind enough to generate for my GR site ( www.darkdesign.com/gr ) . The datalists I've personally compiled of GR books for DC and Marvel now top 140, and for many of those I've searched for the data myself. It's been quite interesting. Check out the datalists....you'll see what I mean.

Marvel Green River Data List

DC Green River Data List

Can somebody do me a favor and let me know the GPAnalysis for the following...

Amazing Spider-Man #1-500 in all grades.

Detective Comics # 1-800 in all grades.

Thanks for your help in advance guys!!!

If you Paypal me a quater for each book ($325) I'll do it! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Keep in mind that the $650 sale of the CGC 9.4 was an ebay auction with a Buy It Now for $650. I hit that Buy It Now as soon as I saw the auction and I own that book now. The $650 was not the result of an actual auction and there's no way in hell I'd sell the book for anywhere near that low an amount. It is one of the very few AA #11s that doesn't have the big printing roller rub near the top staple. Even the 9.8 copy in the census has the roller rub. The book would have sold for substantially more than $650 if the seller hadn't sold it with a BIN. I certainly would have paid more than that for it.

I'm not even in the market for that book, but would've hit that BIN. Guy on CPG tipped you off to that one, IIRC. You were all over that so fast, it made my head spin.

Right. It was one of the CPG mods. Ironically enough, he posted the link as an example of an "outrageous" price being sought for a CGC 9.4 copy of that book! 27_laughing.gif

Sun systems made their operating system public domain and made a fortune.

Tomega has not made endless requests.

America has taken its' share of IP from the asian zone so it isn't one way.

Addicts are created by giving them a taste of something they want, for nothing. Once hooked.............

Sun systems made their operating system public domain and made a fortune.

Bad analogy. screwy.gif

Tomega has not made endless requests.

Irrelevant. Besides, he asked about almost a dozen books, not just one.

America has taken its' share of IP from the asian zone so it isn't one way.

Irrelevant. Who cares?

Addicts are created by giving them a taste of something they want, for nothing. Once hooked.............

And they often don't get their "fix" from their own funds. They cheat and steal to get it. Finally one of your analogies pans out.

Tracking serial numbers is a fantastic idea! Keeping track of the little details like page quality and grader notes will help us find why book A went for x amount dollars where as book B in the same condition went for less. Can you get the information directly from the cgc databanks(all the serial numbers, page quality, grader notes, coditions)? That way when you see the book on eBay all you need to know is the tiny pictured serial number and "wham"! all previous sell information becomes available as well as book details ect.

I also think this helps solve the problem of GPAnalysis market manipulation. As more and more collectors start relying on the information presented from your website, the chances of fraud increases. What's to stop me from signing up 3-4 dummy eBay accounts and "selling" the graded book to myself multiple times in the effort to raise the percieved value? (or get your friends to help I suppose if your to lazy to start dummy accounts). I believe that serial tracking is definately needed before the gathered information can be 100% trusted. Looking good though! thumbsup2.gif

Take a look at the information you get from GPA now - there are examples where we use in house software to determine when the same book is sold multiple times, sometimes by the same seller, other times between a group of sellers. These sales are identified and noted as such. Not so much on modern books (as sellers tend to use the same info over and over on books like "New Avengers" etc) but certainly on unique and older books.

With respects to trying to bump up a book's value, not really possible to do with often-traded books. And in rarely traded (or high grade books) there are others ways to identify (and we note) such anomalies. When a sale is way off the mark (compared to previous sales) a staff member will scrutinize that sale - we may have incorrectly categorized it, there may be something obvious with an error in the listing, there could be anomalies in the bidding, seller/buyer identified as fake, etc. We are tightening the process via which these sales can be verified, especially on higher-end sales.

Regards

GP

Take a look at the information you get from GPA now - there are examples where we use in house software to determine when the same book is sold multiple times, sometimes by the same seller, other times between a group of sellers. These sales are identified and noted as such. Not so much on modern books (as sellers tend to use the same info over and over on books like "New Avengers" etc) but certainly on unique and older books.

With respects to trying to bump up a book's value, not really possible to do with often-traded books. And in rarely traded (or high grade books) there are others ways to identify (and we note) such anomalies. When a sale is way off the mark (compared to previous sales) a staff member will scrutinize that sale - we may have incorrectly categorized it, there me something obvious with an error in the listing, there could be anomalies in the bidding, seller/buyer identified as fake, etc. We are tightening the process via which these sales can be verified, especially on higher-end sales.

Regards

GP

Yes, I have seen where you note "Ebay buyer had zero feedback" in your notes area for a book. Very useful that it is noted. thumbsup2.gif

With respects to trying to bump up a book's value, not really possible to do with often-traded books. And in rarely traded (or high grade books) there are others ways to identify (and we note) such anomalies. When a sale is way off the mark (compared to previous sales) a staff member will scrutinize that sale - we may have incorrectly categorized it, there me something obvious with an error in the listing, there could be anomalies in the bidding, seller/buyer identified as fake, etc. We are tightening the process via which these sales can be verified, especially on higher-end sales.

Regards

GP

Hi George,

One thing would be cool is for ebay "Buy It Now" sales on your site to be identified as such. It would help explain some of the anomalously low prices that are realized on certain books. Maybe just reflect it the same way you show "Private Sales" with the little PS next to the individual sale.

See you in San Diego!

Scott

Yes, I have seen where you note "Ebay buyer had zero feedback" in your notes area for a book. Very useful that it is noted. thumbsup2.gif

You will also come across notes like

Item recorded as sold/relisted by seller

Item recorded as sold/seller verified non sale

Questionable bidding history

Bidder IDs Kept Private/No CGC cert info given

Unclear if CGC-graded copy

Purchased by non-registered user

etc

Hi George,

One thing would be cool is for ebay "Buy It Now" sales on your site to be identified as such. It would help explain some of the anomalously low prices that are realized on certain books. Maybe just reflect it the same way you show "Private Sales" with the little PS next to the individual sale.

See you in San Diego!

Scott

Hi Scott, that would not be difficult at all (I type this hiding my screen from Simon and Josh seated behind me as they'll scream "great, another 893censored-thumb.gif analysis George wants us to run insane.gif)

Hi George,

See you in San Diego!

Scott

Hi Scott, that would not be difficult at all (I type this hiding my screen from Simon and Josh seated behind me as they'll scream "great, another 893censored-thumb.gif analysis George wants us to run insane.gif)

27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

And they often don't get their "fix" from their own funds. They cheat and steal to get it. Finally one of your analogies pans out.

Who said addicts had to be bad.......

I am a music addict and I certainly don't cheat and steal to feed my habit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You are a self opinionated, inflexible, glass half empty type guy aren't you......

Who said addicts had to be bad.......

I am a music addict and I certainly don't cheat and steal to feed my habit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You are a self opinionated, inflexible, glass half empty type guy aren't you......

C'mon - I love mushrooms angel.gif Kiss and make up confused-smiley-013.gif