• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Granny's attic

55 posts in this topic

I've been reading these boards for about a month in an effort to learn about comics.

The information here is extraordinary. It has been a crash course and it has been fun as well.

The reason for my interest came about because my mother-in-law received 50 books as a gift and she asked if I could find out their value. Then the person who gave them to her had 50 more. (I recall a previous post stating that there just aren't anymore granny's attics holding comic books). I then agreed to take all that she had and I would try to move them somehow. I now have a total of 689 books, not counting 180 Classics Illustrated and 600 Life magazines going back to the 30's

The comic books are all silver age which she purchased as an investment in the '60s. They have been stored since that time.

I have just completed cataloging them and they appear to be in fine shape. There are Fantastic Four 1-4, X-Men 1,2, Action Comics, Adventure Comics, Batman, Superman, Detective Comics, House of Mystery, Worlds Finest, Jimmy Olson, Tales of the Unexpected, Wonder Woman, Walt Disney and many, many more.

So this post is to let you know there still are some granny's attic out there.

As the post on April Fools day said ' this could be huge.'

Needless to say, I am neither a dealer or collector or a........shill.

True story!!!!

Maybe twice.

I was only offering to help grade his FFs and see if they were CGC worthy.

Maybe one of them was a beater...? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

The comic books are all silver age which she purchased as an investment in the '60s.

This statement smells like bullt. Wonder why? Maybe b/c the secondary market for comics in the '60s was almost non-existant, especially as an "investment" vehicle.

Seem's like BS too because they say they aren't a dealer or a collector, but they know what a Shill is and claim to be none of them.

On another note, if you were neither of these, why would you even care or post on a message board that is all about comics?

I bought a book from a granny's attic collection once...and the moldy yellow brick that sat on the table, untouched for the last quarter century turned out to actually be butter, can you believe it!?!? 27_laughing.gif

I recently purchased an ASM #4 that came from a lady who said she was cleaning out her 91-year-old uncle's basement, and found a box of comics with this book in it. I had no reason not to believe her. The book is about a 6.0 with nice gloss on the covers.

Heck, if I hadn't cleaned out my parent's old storage building before the house was sold, someone would have found some of my silver age books stored there (that I didn't know was there) and probably thrown them out not knowing what they were.

Jeez, it's probably gonna happen to me. One day, after I'm long gone, my kids will be going through all my junk, and find boxes and boxes of comics. And they'll probably just throw them away. What a horror story! I better have a will made really fast!

Cool when you sell the valuable ones to Heritage Comics Auctions, then please donate the rest to

Comics4Kids

20825 State Rt,. 410 East # 413

Bonney Lake, Wa 98390

Thank you so much for your time and consideration!

Keep in mind that there are thousands if noit millions of granny / relative stories that can come true, even to the extent of modern estate holders kicking the bucket and their inventories and/ or / collections will come up for sale in weird ways.

A girl buying comic books....in the '60s...as an investment.... screwy.gif

Isn't one of the recognized Golden Age pedigrees from a woman who was buying first issues as an investment?

Isn't one of the recognized Golden Age pedigrees from a woman who was buying first issues as an investment?

That's what I was thinking. 27_laughing.gif If this story were necessarily BS, there would be no Denver pedigree. cloud9.gif

That's what I was thinking. 27_laughing.gif If this story were necessarily BS, there would be no Denver pedigree. cloud9.gif

The Allentown pedigree was also found when a guy was cleaning out his mother's closet. foreheadslap.gif

I dunno about the pedigree status, but I think David T. Alexander got a collection that sounds like that. The woman bought them way back when (like pre-60s or something) from flea markets, antique stores, etc.,. Multiples of some, not uber-high grade. There was an article in one of the Tampa papers about it and I think CBG as well if I recall correctly.

I stand corrected and humbled... crazy.gif