• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Granny's attic

55 posts in this topic

reputable comic dealer

Oxymoron? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmm, good point.

Will refrain from lawyer comments because you may actually look for some books from your "vast" collection!

reputable comic dealer

Hmm, good point.

Will refrain from lawyer comments because you may actually look for some books from your "vast" collection!

Suck up. yeahok.gif

reputable comic dealer

Hmm, good point.

Suck up. yeahok.gif

I prefer to treat it as "looking after my best interests"!

Then look at the prices in the Guide, based on the grades of your comics, and anything that's worth over $100, submit to CGC.

I don't agree with this. With grading fees running at $29 per book and a four month wait, it is not economical to submit every >$100 book to CGC, or even most of them for that matter. Couple that with the fact that many mid-grade books do not sell well in slabs, and certainly not at a price to justify the increased cost associated with slabbing and having to wait forever to get the books back from CGC. If he wanted to sell a bunch of them, he'd be better off just selling with big scans (maybe consigning them to ComicLink, Pedigreecomics.com, or some other consignment site specializing in Silver Age books, but NOT on ebay because everyone will think it's a scam), or by making a list and trying to attract the attention of some of the major dealers who would fly to see the collection.

Having said all of that, it looks like he does potentially have quite a few books that should not be sold raw, like that FF#1.

After reading the comments about my post, I realised that I had omitted that I was looking for some advice of how some of you would proceed. I actually had no idea what to do before my crash education on these boards. The term shill came from these boards, it's mentioned many, many times. I will assume it means the same as it does in gambling.....sort of a front man for a bad character that everyone knows. That just isn't the case here. What you read here is the way it is...the lady is now 79 years and maybe was prescient in purchasing these for her young son who subsequently committed suicide in 1972.

If you want more scans, I'd love to display them (now that I know how). How about Showcase Aquaman, Jacquar, both issues number 1 and 2. Or Flash, Fly, House of Secrets, Green Lantern, GI Combat, Our Army at War, Brave and Bold, Dennis the Menace,Justice League of America, Strange Adventures, Fighting Forces and on and on. Since I've learned something about your passion, this array of books boggles the mind. This is the real deal my friends and you can doubt all you want, I got 'em.

How about 12 Action Comics,18 Adventure Comics, 11 Batman, 17 Detective Comics, 18 Superman, 13 House of Mystery, 10 GI Combat, just the tip of the iceberg.

I have been looking at what direction to go and am undecided at this point, but, Comiclink is a distinct possibility. What do you guys think? I really am looking for a direction. One way or another these are all going. I'm in no rush. If you're looking for a particular book, I may have it. I'll send you a picture.

After reading the comments about my post, I realised that I had omitted that I was looking for some advice of how some of you would proceed. I actually had no idea what to do before my crash education on these boards. The term shill came from these boards, it's mentioned many, many times. I will assume it means the same as it does in gambling.....sort of a front man for a bad character that everyone knows. That just isn't the case here. What you read here is the way it is...the lady is now 79 years and maybe was prescient in purchasing these for her young son who subsequently committed suicide in 1972.

If you want more scans, I'd love to display them (now that I know how). How about Showcase Aquaman, Jacquar, both issues number 1 and 2. Or Flash, Fly, House of Secrets, Green Lantern, GI Combat, Our Army at War, Brave and Bold, Dennis the Menace,Justice League of America, Strange Adventures, Fighting Forces and on and on. Since I've learned something about your passion, this array of books boggles the mind. This is the real deal my friends and you can doubt all you want, I got 'em.

How about 12 Action Comics,18 Adventure Comics, 11 Batman, 17 Detective Comics, 18 Superman, 13 House of Mystery, 10 GI Combat, just the tip of the iceberg.

I have been looking at what direction to go and am undecided at this point, but, Comiclink is a distinct possibility. What do you guys think? I really am looking for a direction. One way or another these are all going. I'm in no rush. If you're looking for a particular book, I may have it. I'll send you a picture.

Can you post a list? I'll bet that all the books will sell here.

Can you post a list? I'll bet that all the books will sell here.

I agree. I know that I would be interested. hi.gif

Here's the 2. Unfortunate nick under the date

Can you post a full list (without scans for now) indicating all of the books, title and number? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What he said.

Then look at the prices in the Guide, based on the grades of your comics, and anything that's worth over $100, submit to CGC.

I don't agree with this. With grading fees running at $29 per book and a four month wait, it is not economical to submit every >$100 book to CGC, or even most of them for that matter. Couple that with the fact that many mid-grade books do not sell well in slabs, and certainly not at a price to justify the increased cost associated with slabbing and having to wait forever to get the books back from CGC. If he wanted to sell a bunch of them, he'd be better off just selling with big scans (maybe consigning them to ComicLink, Pedigreecomics.com, or some other consignment site specializing in Silver Age books, but NOT on ebay because everyone will think it's a scam), or by making a list and trying to attract the attention of some of the major dealers who would fly to see the collection.

Having said all of that, it looks like he does potentially have quite a few books that should not be sold raw, like that FF#1.

As Donut has mentioned here many times, raw books between G and VF/NM tend to sell at substantial discounts to Guide. My experience has been that slabbed books in those middle grades sell closer to Guide, usually not more than 20-30% below Guide and sometimes over Guide. Based on these very small scans, I don't think they're Fair or Good, but look better.

Therefore, I think getting books slabbed does several things: (i) prevents him from getting taken advantage of by dealers or collectors (if he undergrades them, lists them on a consignment site and sends the books to the site operator, there is a very good chance that the site operator, upon inspecting the books first hand, will immediately buy the books and arbitrage the difference, (ii) eliminates the hassle factor of fighting over grades with buyers, and (iii) reduces the possibility of restoration in these books (see (ii)). Perhaps my $100 threshold is too low, but it's the minimum amount I would use.

As Donut has mentioned here many times, raw books between G and VF/NM tend to sell at substantial discounts to Guide. My experience has been that slabbed books in those middle grades sell closer to Guide, usually not more than 20-30% below Guide and sometimes over Guide. Based on these very small scans, I don't think they're Fair or Good, but look better.

Therefore, I think getting books slabbed does several things: (i) prevents him from getting taken advantage of by dealers or collectors (if he undergrades them, lists them on a consignment site and sends the books to the site operator, there is a very good chance that the site operator, upon inspecting the books first hand, will immediately buy the books and arbitrage the difference, (ii) eliminates the hassle factor of fighting over grades with buyers, and (iii) reduces the possibility of restoration in these books (see (ii)). Perhaps my $100 threshold is too low, but it's the minimum amount I would use.

Yeah, I am just quibbling with the $100 threshold. I'd set it a bit higher, maybe at $290 value post slabbing.

What you say about the consignor playing arbitrage is a HUGE and very real danger though. If I were Newby, I'd consign them to Doug Schmell and have him advise me about grading and selling. He did that for Harry and treated Harry right (not that Harry's a newbie) -- remember the FF#11 CGC 9.4? He could have made a lot of money playing arbitrage with that book but he didn't. I would trust Doug not to play the arbitrage game.

Buy yourself a copy of the Overstreet Price Guide. If you don't know how to grade, bring a couple of issues in to a reputable comic dealer to find out what they think the grades are, so you can get a sense of what grades your comics are in. Then look at the prices in the Guide, based on the grades of your comics, and anything that's worth over $100, submit to CGC. Unless you need money quickly or something, the superior return that you'll get from selling slabbed books will make up for the waiting time and submission fees.

Then you can determine how best to sell them: direct to board members, via eBay or Heritage, consign, or direct to dealer.

You can also use HeritageComics.com as a handy reference. Search for copies of a certain book (FF #1, for instance) and you can see what different grades have sold for. You can also look at large, hi-resolution scans to compare with your copy to get an idea of approximate grade.

A girl buying comic books....in the '60s...as an investment.... screwy.gif

Isn't one of the recognized Golden Age pedigrees from a woman who was buying first issues as an investment?

There is the Japanese (?) sounding name Yaka something pedigree from the late 1940s or so. I have one of those somewhere.

It was the Okajima collection. During War World II a girl in the central valley of California was a comic reader and was with her family in a internment camp. Some of the books were sold by Alan Bahr of Heroes Comics.