• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DAN "THE MAN" GREENHALGH

83 posts in this topic

That pretty much says it all.

How does he still yet large collections.

Easy.

He can pay more because he gets above eBay prices for his books as he overgrades them. And because there are still plenty (and I mean plenty) of collectors who don't know (or at least buy) CGC books, and can't grade or determine if a books restored.

He hasn't had a nice run of high grade CGC books in a long time (mostly mid-grades)

This is unfortunate

I have had great success with SNE over the years. Of course I check ALL my comics for resoration and trimming and always try to catch the "married" cover tricks and whatever. There is no way that Dan G knew of my comic book experience but after a while he probably figured me out well.

Only one time I sent comics back that I can remember and the refund cheque was in my office in a few days - there was an Iron man # 6 that had excessive green distributors' ink spray that was not shown in the scan and he agreed to the refund with no questions asked.

I know SNE is not too popular with many collectors, and I was flamed royally on another infamous Board because I touted SNE a bit, but Dan G has always taken care of me, and Cindy ( his worker) is magnificent. Don't let Dan G fool any of you - he knows a lot about comic books and has taken large amounts of time to take my phone calls and he always answered any question I ever had. He could have brushed me off or just said he had to go or could have been too busy for me but he took my calls graciously and tried to help me with certain pieces of advice.

Sure he deals with large volumes of collections but he does have the winning formula: spend to get, flip, re-invest.

His "overgrading"? Not as bad as most other eBayers - if any of us had the volume he has, we would get the ones crying "overgraded" too. Numbers game - more auctions, the more nutcases you are going to get. I am sure that this explains a lot of the perception of Dan G.

Seems to me that the successful Dealers get a lot of criticisms and never a lot of praise. I have seen Chuck R get blasted right on this Forum, ( and the last one I saw he was RIGHT to refuse service to those who kept throwing rocks at him) Metro, etc. Guess that goes with the territory. The only one I seen here that got a lot of praise was Doug Sup. in Canada, someone I have not dealt with( yet).

Gotta run

CAL hi.gif

His "overgrading"? Not as bad as most other eBayers - if any of us had the volume he has, we would get the ones crying "overgraded" too. Numbers game - more auctions, the more nutcases you are going to get. I am sure that this explains a lot of the perception of Dan G.

So I am a "nutcase" for getting overgraded books with severely rusted staples and mentioning it in a pertinent thread? High volume/turnover is a poor excuse for what amounts to false advertising. And the excuse that others on ebay are just as bad or worse really is just some sort of lame justification on your part.

I am not person_without_enough_empathying about his customer service after the sale as I am not able to get involved in a return due to my work schedule. It was not a huge amount of money anyway. My first post was merely stating the facts of a transaction and my reaction, not "crying."

and the item numbers:

all of the books were trimmed, sinister house and dark mansion were some of the most blatant/obvious/worst...

So I am a "nutcase" for getting overgraded books with severely rusted staples and mentioning it in a pertinent thread? High volume/turnover is a poor excuse for what amounts to false advertising. And the excuse that others on ebay are just as bad or worse really is just some sort of lame justification on your part.

I am not person_without_enough_empathying about his customer service after the sale as I am not able to get involved in a return due to my work schedule. It was not a huge amount of money anyway. My first post was merely stating the facts of a transaction and my reaction, not "crying."

right, there has been no crying/person_without_enough_empathying etc regarding customer service here.

please do not make excuses for SHOWCASE NEW ENGLAND AMERICA'S #1 COMIC DEALER not having the ability to grade decently or detect obvious restoration...

just a heads up about SHOWCASE NEW ENGLAND, America's #1 COMIC DEALER selling

restored comic books.

or, SHOWCASE NEW ENGLAND, America's #1 COMIC DEALER not being able to detect obvious restoration.

or, SHOWCASE NEW ENGLAND, America's #1 COMIC DEALER falsely advertising in auctions...

Another "nutcase" checking in here...

Like DNAgent, I had a bad experience with purchasing an SNE lot and finding the key book restored. That didn't even bother me so much... everyone makes mistakes, and they could have overlooked the color touch... but there was no apology in the least from them, responses were curt, and the return was a colossal headache. Once the books were back in their hands, it still took well over a month to get a refund, with just loads of excuses from them (a check sent which I mysteriously didn't get...weeks later, a Paypal refund which I also mysteriously didn't get... etc). They definitely had a limited interest in customer service...it took easily 10-12 (polite) emails from me before we could finally, mercifully end the transaction. Plus I took a beating on the shipping. I'm glad some others have had good experiences with them, but I sure didn't.

I still remember one Sunday about 8 years ago when Dan came into the comic book store I was working at. Since it was Sunday, the owner had the day off. He wanted me to write out a receipt for an X-Men # 1 he had purchased from the store, and back-date the receipt for about 6 - 9 months before that (tax purposes?). I don't know if he had actually bought one from us or not, but there was no way I was getting involved in that. I told him to talk to the boss, I wasn't going to do it...

I have won 3 OR 4 auctions from SNE. people bid his stuff up too high is my only real complaint. That's not his fault. I pretty much agreed with the grades of the books. I felt his grading was better than average for EBAY. I've only won maybe 50 EBAY auctions. Of those half were post 1990 books that had been published after I last stopped collecting. Of the books I have bought pre 1980 SNE was one of the better graders. New too Ebay I bid on some auctions I wouldn't bid on now basing my bid on the description rather than magnifing a scan. One of the maybe 25 books I recieved was cut. It was a book from 1978 and had been butchered. I didnt notice till I went to file it. I had checked the earlier books not that one. I doubt he knew it. Who checks for a 5-7 dollar book from 1978 for restoration? The 60s Marvels I bought were all as described and fairly graded to the best of my eye. I watch his auctions but like JS I won't bid on them when they run crazy high. His grading isn't that good to demand 1/3 premium over another auction for the same book imo. Maybe JS is I haven't bought any of theres but dont want to pay near slab price for raw books. I think in the long run I'm better off buying from higher fb sellers , identifing the better graders and sticking too them rather than paying the big premium a lot of bidders seem to give few Dealers.

and the item numbers:

all of the books were trimmed, sinister house and dark mansion were some of the most blatant/obvious/worst...

Thanks for the numbers. Did you happen to scan the books in question? Probably not...but if you did I would like to see them and get an idea of how bad they really looked.

and the item numbers:

Just looked at the Sinister and Dark Mansion auctions. Both #1s look like their right edges were trimmed, pretty obviously too. Was this the case?

quote ''His "overgrading"? Not as bad as most other eBayers - if any of us had the volume he has, we would get the ones crying "overgraded" too. Numbers game - more auctions, the more nutcases you are going to get. I am sure that this explains a lot of the perception of Dan G.'' end quote

remember, we are talking about a large national dealer (their advertisements, stickers etc. all say 'AMERICA's #1 COMIC DEALER'').

we are not talking about the horrific grading of the average person selling on ebay...there should be a huge difference, no?

Here's the problem I have with SNE: Dan, and also his processing staff, list tons of auctions on ebay. There have been multiple cases of books being sold with restoration, with different people, different auctions etc. Now, Dan's been around, what, 20+ years or so? Do you really think that with rusted staples or trimmed books etc., that Dan doesn't have knowledge of what he is actually selling?

I don't think he's doing resto himself, but I think many times these "new collections" are really just old inventory pieced together of books he could not previously move. I'm sure some are legitimate new collections, but I think he's counting on the fact that most buyers on ebay are not sophisticated enough to pick up resto and that many buyers won't go through the hassle of returns. He'll refund money because ultimately it'd be bad business not to. But he can always hide behind, well how was I supposed to know the books were resto'd?

I'm sorry, but no other major dealer, not metro, not Jim Payette, not Bob Storms, not Ted VanLiew, not Mark Wilson, not Robert Roter, not Josh Nathanson, not Harley Yee, not Michael Golden, not John Hauser... NONE of these guys ever have the number of complaints come out on these boards concerning the number of times resto'd books have been sold to them undisclosed. He's at Richie Muchinesque levels of dishonesty in my book.

There's more than just coincidence going on and I think it stinks. Personally, I think Dan is just trying to do everything he can to fly under the radar and try to get as much as he can out of the ebay auctions while staying borderline reputable. Sorry, but something doesn't add up with this guy. He may have sold many nice books to many high roller collectors -- no major dealer is dishonest all the time, just scams the people who are easily scammed -- as on ebay.

and the item numbers:

Just looked at the Sinister and Dark Mansion auctions. Both #1s look like their right edges were trimmed, pretty obviously too. Was this the case?

correct that is the case, the right edges are trimmed, back covers on some as well. didn't bother spending time on the other edges.

i only have the HoS#90, 91 and 92 scanned...

you know what is sad, one of the dealers i showed them to said, 'aaah, sell 'em anyway''...

you really have to be careful in this 'industry'!!!!!!!!!

and the item numbers:

I just can't figure out why anyone would bother to trim those low/mid grade '70s books. Anyway, to be certain I'd like to see larger scans......

and the item numbers:

correct that is the case, the right edges are trimmed, back covers on some as well. didn't bother spending time on the other edges.

i only have the HoS#90, 91 and 92 scanned...

you know what is sad, one of the dealers i showed them to said, 'aaah, sell 'em anyway''...

you really have to be careful in this 'industry'!!!!!!!!!

You returned the HOS 90-92 too? Are you saying they were trimmed as well? I would not have caught it on those three...

A long time back I bought a Batman 18 from him. Unrestored fn+. When I got it, it had obviously been trimmed on all three edges. Probably between 0.5 inches and 0.75 inches total between the top and bottom, so obvious enough for anyone to spot. I returned it after telling him it had been trimmed. Sure, fine, great, returned with no hassle (except the shipping cost, etc). What does he do, list it on Ebay as unrestored. I watched sell the book at least three times until it was finally graded by CGC (don't know if Dan submitted it or some poor unsuspecting Ebayer), but Dan finally was forced to sell it as a PLOD trimmed!

I only buy CGC from him now, but that is just until he figures out how to crack the cases...

I have called BErnie several times- no call backs- I asked Ken Dumb diddly Danker to help (claims Bernie is his pal) and still no response.... Jim LEe has officially said no too. John Severinaslo said no. Al Williamson is ill so that is a no. Frazetta has been ill for years so no....

But I am trying- I would love to get Steve Rude and Mike BAron- anybody have contact info?

VZ