• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DCBS changing Flat Rate Shipping Charge???

29 posts in this topic

Anyone else get this email? I do order dupes but only average about $100/month in books.

(shrug)

Hello,

Based on your order containing multiple items, what platform are you selling your multiple copies on? We only ask because our contract with Diamond prohibits us from selling to retailers.

Because we are a single consumer retailer, we create our prices to benefit the average customer. Because you are reselling product you are purchasing through our discounted service, this puts your account outside of that norm. Going forward, any order you place with us will incur actual shipping costs.

If you take a look at our FAQ page, your will note we have a section for our policies regarding retailers and resellers:

Do you sell to retailers, re-sellers, speculators, or buying clubs?

DCBS does not sell to retailers, because we are prohibited from doing so in our contract with our distributor. This includes storefronts, websites, and pop-up storefronts. A retailer is defined as a business operating a website selling comics or operating a brick and mortar location that sells comics. Any platform used to sell product in multiple quantities from a physical location or a unique URL falls under this definition. A unique URL includes a social media page defining itself as a business, but does not include an eBay account.

DCBS is a retailer selling to individual customers.

Our flat rate shipping and discounts are based on a single consumer purchase. Customers selling on eBay, Amazon, or other auction sites, that are not eligible for a Diamond account, may place orders with our approval. Those customer orders are not eligible for flat rate shipping and are subject to actual shipping costs.

Orders that contain multiple quantities of more than a quantity of 2 are clearly orders for resale, speculation, or group purchase, and are also not eligible for flat rate shipping and are subject to actual shipping costs. Those accounts will be noted accordingly.

Thank you for your business! Please let us know if you have any questions.

I'm a fairly new DCBS customer. Haven't gotten any such messages yet and hope I never do. :wishluck:

Then again, I usually order just 1-2 copies. Only time I ordered a whole bunch of copies is the 25-cent Red Sonja #0 promo to give away. If you don't sell comics, why not send DCBS an email to explain why you're buying multiple copies so you can continue paying flat rate shipping?

Even people who never intend to sell their collections sometimes get rid of their stuff.

I doubt DCBS would be such a high demand shop if they didn't sell to secondary market sellers. Nearly all speculators I know buy their stuff from them, Midtown, or TFAW. I'm sure there are others but imagine all of the incentive covers they have access to thanks to these sales. I don't buy from them because we're in the same state and they charge sales tax to Indiana residents and only Indiana residents. For the majority of the country, they're cheaper than everyone else in bulk purchases. 2c

Even people who never intend to sell their collections sometimes get rid of their stuff.

I doubt DCBS would be such a high demand shop if they didn't sell to secondary market sellers. Nearly all speculators I know buy their stuff from them, Midtown, or TFAW. I'm sure there are others but imagine all of the incentive covers they have access to thanks to these sales. I don't buy from them because we're in the same state and they charge sales tax to Indiana residents and only Indiana residents. For the majority of the country, they're cheaper than everyone else in bulk purchases. 2c

It's not that DCBS is preventing secondary market sellers from purchasing from them. eBay sellers and speculators just lose the benefit of the $6.95 flat rate shipping and have to pay for actual shipping costs which are probably still quite reasonable.

TFAW charges shipping by weight while Midtown charges by dollar amount.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/info.asp?page=info_Shipping

It's not that DCBS is preventing secondary market sellers from purchasing from them. eBay sellers and speculators just lose the benefit of the $6.95 flat rate shipping and have to pay for actual shipping costs which are probably still quite reasonable.

TFAW charges shipping by weight while Midtown charges by dollar amount.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/info.asp?page=info_Shipping

I'm aware of Midtown's pricing. I spend $75 and shipping is free. This is how I buy nearly all of my new books and have been for a long time. You get 35% off! no sales tax which equals another 7% here and free shipping. Midtown is really tough to beat if you buy lots of comics :)

Like I stated, I'm not ordering much and have my setting at shipping once a month. ( what retailer would be able to survive on that setting?) If they don't want people to order multiples, why do they always offer their best discount for the first 5 books of any new title? Also, like most collectors, I always order 2 of the books I like...one to read and one for the longbox. :makepoint:

Edited by Holden Caulfield

I'm aware of Midtown's pricing. I spend $75 and shipping is free. This is how I buy nearly all of my new books and have been for a long time. You get 35% off! no sales tax which equals another 7% here and free shipping. Midtown is really tough to beat if you buy lots of comics :)

The $75 free shipping only applies to in-stock (or soon to be in-stock) items, I believe. For new releases, it seems Midtown typically reduces the discount to just 15% unless you've got a coupon code. Still a darned good deal for new releases particularly since they give free bag and board on top of the discount and free ship.

Previews preorders (with 35-50% discount) don't get free shipping. At least I didn't when I placed mine. For Previews preorder shipments >$200, a 12% shipping cost is assessed.

Like I stated, I'm not ordering much and have my setting at shipping once a month. ( what retailer would be able to survive on that setting?) If they don't want people to order multiples, why do they always offer their best discount for the first 5 books of any new title? Also, like most collectors, I always order 2 of the books I like...one to read and one for the longbox. :makepoint:

Note the verbiage, they expect regular orders of 2 copies so they won't ding you for that. It's if you order >2 of multiple titles that they flag your account (e.g. getting 5 copies each of all DC, Marvel, Image, Valiant, etc #1s).

With the typical 40% discount (50% on most #1s) on DCBS, paying actual shipping costs might still be better than the typical Midtown 15% new release discount with free shipping depending on your sales tax situation.

Also, if DCBS actually thought you were a retailer, they wouldn't even sell to you at all (probably forbidden by Diamond contract).

The $75 free shipping only applies to in-stock (or soon to be in-stock) items, I believe. For new releases, it seems Midtown typically reduces the discount to just 15% unless you've got a coupon code. Still a darned good deal for new releases particularly since they give free bag and board on top of the discount and free ship.

Previews preorders (with 35-50% discount) don't get free shipping. At least I didn't when I placed mine. For Previews preorder shipments >$200, a 12% shipping cost is assessed.

Note the verbiage, they expect regular orders of 2 copies so they won't ding you for that. It's if you order >2 of multiple titles that they flag your account (e.g. getting 5 copies each of all DC, Marvel, Image, Valiant, etc #1s).

With the typical 40% discount (50% on most #1s) on DCBS, paying actual shipping costs might still be better than the typical Midtown 15% new release discount with free shipping depending on your sales tax situation.

Also, if DCBS actually thought you were a retailer, they wouldn't even sell to you at all (probably forbidden by Diamond contract).

Fair point. Forgot about that. I've had such great dealings with Midtown and a not so great deal with DCBS that I'm a little biased.

It doesn't bother me that DCBC looks at this as if they have no choice. What does bother me is they have NP gouging customers for variants just like everyone else. I used to hold them above Midtown and all the others. Now I think they are just the same.

NP gouging?

I can kinda understand DCBS' chase variant pricing since they're doing preorders for variants rather than going by stock already on hand based on normal orders. Kinda hard to fulfill, say, 1,000 preorders for a 1:100 Dell'Otto variant when you only have like 10,000 orders for the regular cover.

I figure it's kinda like theme parks. They use ticket price to lower demand.

One thing I've noticed with Midtown, they typically don't pre-sell incentive variants until after they're done with Previews preorders. There are, of course, some exceptions (e.g. Dark Knight III Master Race).

Edited by aerischan

It doesn't bother me that DCBC looks at this as if they have no choice. What does bother me is they have NP gouging customers for variants just like everyone else. I used to hold them above Midtown and all the others. Now I think they are just the same.

NP gouging?

I can kinda understand DCBS' chase variant pricing since they're doing preorders for variants rather than going by stock already on hand based on normal orders. Kinda hard to fulfill, say, 1,000 preorders for a 1:100 Dell'Otto variant when you only have like 10,000 orders for the regular cover.

I figure it's kinda like theme parks. They use ticket price to lower demand.

One thing I've noticed with Midtown, they typically don't pre-sell incentive variants until after they're done with Previews preorders. There are, of course, some exceptions (e.g. Dark Knight III Master Race).

They just got in line with all the other online retailers and started charging more for them. I think they example is after Harley's Hughes cover blew up.

As far a filling demand goes they cancel orders all the time or limit them.

They just got in line with all the other online retailers and started charging more for them. I think they example is after Harley's Hughes cover blew up.

As far a filling demand goes they cancel orders all the time or limit them.

I expect part of the reason for increased pricing for ratio variants is so they can avoid cancelling or limiting orders frequently. If DCBS needs to cancel or limit ratio variant orders, that means they either underestimated demand for the variant or overestimated demand for the regular cover. Maybe both. How do they ensure every customer gets all the copies of the ratio variant they preordered? Increase prices on the variant. (shrug)

For the Elektra #1 Sienkiewicz 1:50, DCBS is charging $100 so you're pretty much paying wholesale cost for all 51 comics (50 reg + 1 variant) plus around $17 markup (assuming 59% standard discount). At that price, I reckon you're guaranteed to get a copy no matter how many your order.

Granted, I rarely buy ratio variants. Most just aren't worth the high prices for me. I'd much rather get, say, a slipcased DC Absolute Edition HC than a 22-page 1:50 or 1:100 comic variant with crappy interior.

Btw, what does NP mean?

UPDATE:

I let them know I'm not a retailer. Also that I do take advantage of their discount on #1 issues and order dupes of artists/writers I like. Here's the response I get...

Thank you for your replay! Due to the quantity of items on your order, this is still not considered a single consumer purchase so, going forward, your packages will be charged actual shipping to your location.

In short, they weren't really interested in my response since they've unilaterally decided that they're changing my shipping charge.... :frustrated:

FYI, my orders are primarily indie titles. All-Star Batman #1 was the last big 2 title I ordered since I'm a big fan of Snyder.

UPDATE:

I let them know I'm not a retailer. Also that I do take advantage of their discount on #1 issues and order dupes of artists/writers I like. Here's the response I get...

Thank you for your replay! Due to the quantity of items on your order, this is still not considered a single consumer purchase so, going forward, your packages will be charged actual shipping to your location.

In short, they weren't really interested in my response since they've unilaterally decided that they're changing my shipping charge.... :frustrated:

FYI, my orders are primarily indie titles. All-Star Batman #1 was the last big 2 title I ordered since I'm a big fan of Snyder.

Yeah you are caught in the middle.

I still don't understand what the problem is. What situation did you explain? They allow the purchasing of 2 of each book, which seems like an appropriate amount for a reader/collector.

Also, it reads like they are simply upholding their contract with diamond, which clearly gives them an increased discount for doing so.

As a reader, I think DCBS provides a great service for those not near to a LCS. I don't understand why so many speculators/resellers get up in arms when they are treated like something other than readers.

I still don't understand what the problem is. What situation did you explain? They allow the purchasing of 2 of each book, which seems like an appropriate amount for a reader/collector.

Also, it reads like they are simply upholding their contract with diamond, which clearly gives them an increased discount for doing so.

As a reader, I think DCBS provides a great service for those not near to a LCS. I don't understand why so many speculators/resellers get up in arms when they are treated like something other than readers.

Because it costs them money. Duh.

I'm a collector and have/do order 6-8 copies of certain titles to keep in my collection. Might I sell them at some point in the future? Maybe, maybe not. If I do, I likely won't get anywhere near what I'm paying for them even with the 40% discount. I haven't gotten one of these emails from DCBS as of yet, but if I did it might lead me to move my business elsewhere, especially if they were dismissive of my response.