• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carrie Fisher as Star Wars "Slave Leia" PUBLISHED Original Cover Art for Sale

8 posts in this topic

If you're a fan of CARRIE FISHER and her iconic "Slave Leia" (more properly known as "Jabba The Hutt's Dancing Girl" from 1983's Star Wars : Episode VI : Return of the Jedi) here's two (2) separate pieces available on eBay auctions for sale now, ending on Tuesday, January 3rd.

Artist: DAVID VOIGT

Title: FEMME FATALES : The Luscious Ladies of Horror, Fantasy & Science Fiction MAGAZINE

Volume: #8 / Issue: #1 / Cover Date: July 9, 1999

LINK (Below)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEMME-FATALES-July-1999-Star-Wars-CARRIE-FISHER-Slave-Leia-ORIGINAL-ART-Cover-/152372320052?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

...AND...

Artist: ANTHONY SPAY

Publisher: Zenescope Comics

Title: GRIMM FAIRY TALES : Halloween Special

Issue: 2012 Edition / Cover Date: October 2012

VARIANT COVER - NYCC New York Comic Con Exclusive

LINK (below)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRIMM-FAIRY-TALES-Halloween-Special-2012-Carrie-Fisher-SLAVE-LEIA-Cover-ORIGINAL-/132046864233?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Ah, sadness. RIP, Carrie.

I actually prefer Spay's cover. It's a solid GFT cover, sterling work, and a lot of fun. That said, his "Slave Leia" doesn't much look like the actress (especially while wearing those Burberry brown glasses), and his Jabba stand-in only vaguely resembles the Hutt we all know so well. Rights issues, maybe?

I actually prefer Spay's cover. It's a solid GFT cover, sterling work, and a lot of fun. That said, his "Slave Leia" doesn't much look like the actress (especially while wearing those Burberry brown glasses), and his Jabba stand-in only vaguely resembles the Hutt we all know so well. Rights issues, maybe?

It is the main villain and main hero from GFT put into the Slave Leia homage. I dropped GFT from my pull list about 4 or 5 years back (I think that long), but main character wears glasses and the main villain was transformed into a Jabba-like villain (he is red, has glowy eyes, big horns, etc., just not usually Hutt shaped).

And to the OP - very cool cover. Good luck with it!

It is the main villain and main hero from GFT put into the Slave Leia homage. I dropped GFT from my pull list about 4 or 5 years back (I think that long), but main character wears glasses and the main villain was transformed into a Jabba-like villain (he is red, has glowy eyes, big horns, etc., just not usually Hutt shaped).

And to the OP - very cool cover. Good luck with it!

Of course! It's been a while since I've read an issue of GFT, and I missed this entirely. I think it's because of the "Carrie Fisher" headline used to promote the art. Thanks for the heads-up.

I had no idea people actually read GFT comics. lol

I tried to read a GFT back issue once but all the pages were stuck together ???

GFT is the proverbial sizzle to a steak with no substance, similarly to those who claim to have only read "Playboy" for "the articles."

GFT is a product of, if not catalyst for the recent trend of every publisher making every issue have multiple "variant" covers, where in the past it was a way to celebrate a landmark event, now it's not even a 2nd printing or one variant, but 5 or more different covers each month for random books and issues. Also, Zenescope was one of the first to truly exploit the "exclusive" retailer variants, where a convention or retail shop could basically order their own custom comics with their own unique cover at print runs of 100, 500 or more, creating scarcity through their limited ediions.

With that, however, Zenescope has a very strong cult following and has had many top artists render their covers, so as a collectible investment, it feels like Zenescope artwork and publications are somewhat sustainable.