• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Superman 1 Masterpiece Edition

18 posts in this topic

It looks like there is a small crease about an inch to the right of the top of the spine on the FC, small crease near top staple FC and color-breaking wear/scratches along the edges of the bottom of the BC. The wear on the BC would be the biggest factor IMO. I think a 9.2/9.4. Awesome looking book! Bright colors.

That's a sweet looking copy, Foley.

I see a 9.4, minus maybe a bit, bud.

Unseasonably warm here in So. TX so far, eh? Must be cold for the folks back home . . .

Thanks very much! I actually picked this up at Heroes and Fantasies last time I was over, bought the whole set with the hardcover, statue etc. It was sealed so I was taking a gamble on the book, but it's just for my PC, so doesn't have to be perfect.

It has been quite warm the past few days, cooler this morning though, feels nice. It's about 50 back in Cork, so not too bad. Glad to be here though, wish I could stay longer.

It looks like there is a small crease about an inch to the right of the top of the spine on the FC, small crease near top staple FC and color-breaking wear/scratches along the edges of the bottom of the BC. The wear on the BC would be the biggest factor IMO. I think a 9.2/9.4. Awesome looking book! Bright colors.

Good point, I assumed the surface wear/scuffing might be scanner trick but forgot to check.

Agreed it knocks it down one or two grades to 9.0 plus/minus range.

Foley- glad to hear it, safe travels home.

Super nice book but the color scrapes kill it:

9.4+ structurally but I would say 9.0 with the rub, especially if I was listing it for sale

Yeah, the scraping is a pity, but I'm thinking it may be a common defect on this book because of the way the book sat in the box from the factory. It wasn't protected by a bag, and was just placed in a slot. The color loss on mine seems to match up with where the book was making contact with the box.

(not my photo)

167118.jpg.70e012e11b7dd8e9f6df24edf0a53aee.jpg

I like the look of this book so much I'm on the hunt for one of my own! Are you going to have it pressed? Good luck with the submission!

Thanks, they come up for sale on eBay fairly often, but the prices vary considerably. Usually the full sets (with hardcover Supes book, statue, and comic) are more reasonable than the listings selling the comic alone. Might be a good idea to ask the sellers for extra photos of the comic (especially the back) because they typically don't include them.

Good luck with the hunt, I'm also looking for the Batman and Wonder Woman versions myself, would love to add them to my collection along with the Superman.

I think I will have it pressed to remove the spine crease and flatten out the top edge, since neither defect breaks color. Hopefully this can move it from the 8.5-9.0 range to 9.0-9.2 if I'm lucky. I'm really not sure how they downgrade for that color loss on the BC, but consensus here seems to be it will keep it from being NM or better.

Update: the grade is in after a press from CCS

9.4 White, I'm pleased with the result. Seems as if the press took care of some of the issues.

Grader notes: Multiple scuff breaks color.

I won't have it in hand until next time I'm back in the states, so no pic unfortunately. Thanks again for all your opinions! 

@grebal @comicquant and @ss5rmp were dead on :headbang: