• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing question

32 posts in this topic

Remember, these books hit high temperatures during the actual printing process.

Absolutely wrong. I've been a printer (and still am) for close to 30 years and the opposite is true. the printing press itself does run at high temperatures but the ink/paper etc. is kept at much much lower temperatures and isn't even exposed to any heat. Even when a heatset web printing press is used the paper is exposed to high temperature for a fraction of a second just to dry the ink.

What temperature is used to dry the ink?

About 350 for newsprint, 370-380 for coated paper. Then hit the chills (big cylinders with water running through them to stay cold) to cool the paper down.

Absolutely wrong. I've been a printer (and still am) for close to 30 years and the opposite is true. the printing press itself does run at high temperatures but the ink/paper etc. is kept at much much lower temperatures and isn't even exposed to any heat. Even when a heatset web printing press is used the paper is exposed to high temperature for a fraction of a second just to dry the ink.

Careful Underground, people around here with no printing experience will tell you you're wrong :ohnoez:

Careful Underground, people around here with no printing experience will tell you you're wrong :ohnoez:

:roflmao: I'm sure the rebuttal is coming. :popcorn:

About 350 for newsprint, 370-380 for coated paper. Then hit the chills (big cylinders with water running through them to stay cold) to cool the paper down.

In your opinion, would temperatures of 150-180 affect the inks? Here in Florida the inside of a trunk can get to 150 if it is in direct sunlight, so should we also be worried about books in transit.

In your opinion, would temperatures of 150-180 affect the inks? Here in Florida the inside of a trunk can get to 150 if it is in direct sunlight, so should we also be worried about books in transit.

Always keep stuff away from prolonged direct sunlight, no matter the temperature. Anytime paper get too hot, it'll bubble and blister. Pressing a book at that temp isn't going to ruin the ink, If I was at work and we ran the oven 150-180, the ink wouldn't dry and would stick to everything.

I know your question is how temperature will affect inks, but keep in mind that Barex will begin to ripple at 170. I have also seen Barex start to laminate to glossier books at around 160.

I know your question is how temperature will affect inks, but keep in mind that Barex will begin to ripple at 170. I have also seen Barex start to laminate to glossier books at around 160.

Best to move to a colder climate

lol I don't want to change the direction of this thread, but when Joey mentioned temps of 150-180, I knew this was in the "danger zone" for graded books.

lol I don't want to change the direction of this thread, but when Joey mentioned temps of 150-180, I knew this was in the "danger zone" for graded books.

Great info in this thread, but I would prefer if I lived in a cooler climate. 84 here today. It's just not right.

Great Info! Especially the temperature of ink degradation! I truly agree that there are people out in the wild that have gotten their hands on "presses" but, do not have any experience or practice with all of the different conditions books end up in. I have seen quite a few books that have been destroyed or very close to it by the "pressers" using humidity and other techniques. Very hard to bring those back from the brink.