• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which copy of FF should I get of Galactus?

15 posts in this topic

I'am thinking about getting a copy of Galactus's first comic but should I get his first cameo in issue #48 or his first full appearance in #49?For this character is his first full appearance more important then his cameo? smile.gif

Got to be the FF48. In my opinion this is one of the most undervalued comics ever! you can still get a 9.4 under $1500, and if you've go that to spend, then do it now! Investment in this comic can only go up. But of course, if its ONLY Galactus that you have any interest in, then it is always the first full appearance FF49.

In my opinion this is one of the most undervalued comics ever!...Investment in this comic can only go up.

It's a key book, but the census numbers are pretty high for a Silver Ager...six (!) 9.8s, 34 9.6s, 46 9.4s, 46 9.2s, 39 9.0s, etc.

This is also one of the books I have heard hoarding rumors about (of the variety, "I know a guy who has a longbox full of mint FF 48s, Cap 100s, IM 1s, etc.") Who knows if it's true, but there's plenty of existing supply even without any hoards or mini-hoards out there.

Gene

Got to be the FF48. In my opinion this is one of the most undervalued comics ever!

I have to respectfully disagree. Like Delekkerste just illustrated, it isn't tough in HG by any means, at least as far as Silver Age goes. The only reason a 9.4 can even command $1500 is because of the high guide price. A key does not define "a good investment", and I personally don't think a 9.4 FF #48 is a good investment, unless you can get it cheap. What good is a book, key or not, that you can find at almost any given time, on ebay or with dealers? The books that will hold value are those which are in high demand and short supply. Common sense. And FF #48 is NOT in short supply. Not only is the census packed, but there are still TONS of nice raw copies in the VF/NM range out there.

If you want to talk rare, go for #49 or #50 in 9.4........if you can find one! Much better "investment" IMO.

And as far as under-valued goes, I'd have to say that Avengers #4 holds that title in the S.A Marvel division.

Why are you buying it--for the story, for the cover, for the investment, or just to own one of the first Galactus/Silver Surfer appearances? Best story is tough to pick since the arc lasts for a full three issues. Best cover is #49 in my eyes. Best investment for the money is #49 or #50 for the reason Andrew points out, they're much harder to find than #48. Any of the three will do if you're just looking to own a slice of Galactus history.

There are two distinctive traits about FF #48 and Spidey #33, which both came out within weeks of each other--they're both available in much larger quantities than the other issues from the mid-1960s and they're both almost always cover-offset so that the front cover wraps around to the back. I figure Marvel must've switched printers that month or something and overproduced those two issues and possibly some others.

Got to be the FF48. In my opinion this is one of the most undervalued comics ever!

FF48 is, if anything, OVERvalued.

As others have said it is plentiful in high grade. FFs 49 & 50 are the undervalued books, one with the first full app of Galactus and the other with the first Surfer cover.

As far as buying a Galactus book goes, get both 48 & 49, you can't really own one without the other IMHO.

Good luck trying to find a hi-grade FF 49. Even ComicLink & PGC Mint don't have #49 in stock. They usually have FF 48 & perhaps # 50.

Tracking prices realized:

FF 49 cgc 9.2 o-w pgs $604

cgc 9.2 o-w to wht $776

cgc 9.6 o-w $4,500 & $4,600.

FF 50 cgc 8.5 o-w $350

FF 50 cgc 9.0 o-w $300

Two part question:

1. What would you rather own A) FF#48 9.4 WP or B) FF#48 9.6 OW-PGS

just trying to get a feel on what is important to collectors. By the way I chose these two cause I own them, these two can be substituted for a number of many "key" issues. wink.gif

If it's for resale, I'm mostly concerned with the numerical grade. But if its for my personal collection, I will go with a 9.4 with perfect centering and overall better eye appeal, over a lesser looking 9.6 with off centering. I've seen instances where 9.4's look better than 9.6's of the same book, and have passed up 9.6's for 9.4's before.

As far as page quality, as long as it's not cream to off-white or worse(off-white minimum), I tend to be more concerned with structure.

Actually the reason I asked is I was looking for another copy(for my brother) I was going to get another and give him mine but I just looked at mine again and realized it has off-white-white pages, so I will look for one for him instead(ha)