• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM X-Men 1

17 posts in this topic

Awesome book and a tough one to grade! The color-breaking wear along the spine is the big issue but the rest of the book is incredible. The images are so close they're amplifying the issues. I think its a top rung 8.0! Is the right edge of the front cover trimmed? There are evenly spaced micro crimps running the length of the right edge of the front cover. Also just noticed there may be some color touch on the bottom right corner running through his hand?

i just checked my slabbed x men 1 and iceman shows the same type of color overlap on the hand.

8wwnz5.jpg

I need to measure the comic in person to confirm it is 10 1/4 X 6 3/4. My biggest concern is it may be trimmed. In which picture do you see the the evenly spaced micro crimps?

liFKGs1.png

Sorry, I should've specified I thought the color touch was on iceman's left hand. In the image below I zoomed in and drew the line in purple only over his hand (not on the purple of the cover) so you could see it as a whole. To me they look like two creases that may have broken color, then the book was pressed, and light color touch. Maybe take a pic of the inside of the cover. There may be some bleed through... Or its just a crease that pressed out!

As for the trimming I've put black dots about a 1/16 of an inch away from the crimps but looking at them closer its probably just normal edge wear that happens to be evenly spaced. Magnified, the outer edge looks significantly cleaner than the bottom. The easiest way to tell is if the outer edge of the book is blunt and doesn't fan (form a point from the pages being folded) as it should. But they may have just trimmed the cover.

An incredible book either way!

I actually have no idea bc of spine. I'm curious myself. ComicQuant says 8.0 but this seems high to me. Spine looks too tore up do 8.0.

You're right NoMan. I had the same thoughts because it looks like part of the spine is worn off but I think if the images weren't zoomed in as close as they are, it may appear to be normal spine wear. A straight facing FC and BC scan would help. If the spine wear is as pronounced as it looks up close then I'm probably at least a full grade too high.

Here is a front picture of my book. You can see wear along the spine. Otherwise the book is clean.

2h84s95.jpg

And one of a book that borock posted on his fb account. I posted his copy to compare dimensions for trimming as his book was confirmed not trimmed:

x36byv.jpg

Left to right the books are similar. Top to bottom the books are different with bottom book being cut off on cyclops head at the top of the comic and my book having some room.

I'm thinking 7.5 to 8.5 for grade. my concern is trimming on the bottom of the book. But I can measure it and compare it to my 4.5 that is slabbed. I just don't have the book in hand right now.

I agree with spine wear being the biggest issue. There are tiny holes in the spine from wear. Maybe it drops to a 7.0?

Its not uncommon to have the covers contents be shifted in any direction. Meaning the distance from one point to any edge can differ significantly from copy to copy. The bottom edge looks like normal edge wear that you'd see over a long period of time. The outer right edge is the edge that catches my attention.

What catches my eyes is the obvious page roll/misalignment at the top right, but this seems to be absent on the bottom right. A back scan would be helpful. If that roll is present at the bottom left on the back, it may be OK. Otherwise, It could indicate trimming.

Assuming there is no trimming I think you have a solid 8.0.

What catches my eyes is the obvious page roll/misalignment at the top right, but this seems to be absent on the bottom right. A back scan would be helpful. If that roll is present at the bottom left on the back, it may be OK. Otherwise, It could indicate trimming.

I don't see the roll you are talking about.

I don't see the roll you are talking about.

More accurate turn would be a page shifting. I do think it is very nice copy. I would gladly except the donation. :D