• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL POLL POLL! - Help a boardie decide! X-Men 1 goodness

X-men to buy  

180 members have voted

1. 1. X-men to buy

49 posts in this topic

$6000 for a comic and the have somebody write on it. Even if it is Stan, I could never do it.

Just my 2cents

Then again, this is your grail so my 2cents are pretty worthless

Quite a lot of people seem to feel that way.

Why is that? Genuine interest.

It's not just anybody, it is Stan Lee, the creator of said comic.

If you caught a baseball at a game, would it not be more valuable signed by the batter?

PS: I'm not doing this for the money. This is something I intend on keeping for a loooooooong time and hopefully pass down to my children one day.

Thanks,

Bruno

Some people just don’t like Sig Series books, and especially books signed on the cover and especially if they are higher grade. Offhand though, I’d it’s mostly the folks who don’t like signed covers who have posted. I’d guess the split may be closer to 50/50 for those for/against sigs.

Another problem is that Stan’s signature has gotten very sloppy with his advanced age and poor eyesight; many current Stan signings tend to look like giant blobs of ink. If you are able, I’d try to get him to sign with something besides a Sharpie, but that may not be possible.

$6000 for a comic and the have somebody write on it. Even if it is Stan, I could never do it.

Just my 2cents

If you caught a baseball at a game, would it not be more valuable signed by the batter?

PS: I'm not doing this for the money. This is something I intend on keeping for a loooooooong time and hopefully pass down to my children one day.

Thanks,

Bruno

I understand it's a Stan book. But for me it would be hard to pay $6000 and then have somebody write on it. If I would meet Stan I would have a picture of him signed.

X-Men 1 is my grail too, but I hope to own a blue label one day. Even if Stan Lee, I would hate to see any kind of ink cover such an iconic book. I see them as a piece of printed artwork and would want it in my collection the way it was made without the extra writing on it.

A generetic ball with a signature is far more interesting then just the ball, but A baseball is not a piece of artwork.

I collect movie star signatures. Mostly on photos. I do have one book in CGC, but that's a modern and signed on a picture of the star. That's on a $3 to $5 raw book. Not a $6000 one.

But, like I said. This is your grail and dream and you can fulfill that dream. Go for it.

Another problem is that Stan’s signature has gotten very sloppy with his advanced age and poor eyesight; many current Stan signings tend to look like giant blobs of ink. If you are able, I’d try to get him to sign with something besides a Sharpie, but that may not be possible.

And there is that! Very ugly signature, mostly smudged (the last couple of years). Ad that to the X-Men 1 cover, it makes me tremble

Hey Bruno,

I thought about getting a Stan Lee sig on a DD #1 awhile back. What I ultimately decided on was getting a nice cover recreation (there are a few guys on the Boards that do really, really good cover recreations). It looks awesome with the black ink on the white paper and I got Stan's sig in red Sharpie. I matted/framed it and it now hangs in my office.

23rwtjp.jpg

I'm guessing you want this book and to get Stan Lee's sig in person for sentimental purposes otherwise you would have probably just been looking for an already signed SS copy. If you really want to have an actual comic signed, have you ever thought about getting a PLOD (maybe slight color touch)? You could get a really nice looking copy and save a lot of money. And you don't really care about resale factor as as it's just a book for your PC with sentimental attachment. I plan on doing that someday when I purchase a DD #1 again. :cloud9:

I do not think the 4 people so far who voted for A, really looked at the comics.

B is the best one.

PS. Please DO NOT have Stan deface that comic! :makepoint:

Why don't you consider Stan signing the outside of the slab? You could also take pics/video of him signing it.

Just my 2cents

Thanks,

Bruno

Stan Lee pretty much signs anything. He has signed books that he has no affiliation with whatsoever. He'll probably sign a Twinkie as long as you pay his fee

At this point, Stan Lee's signature is so common to see now, it's flooded the market. A lot of people, including myself, tend to stay away from any books signed by him. Especially if it's a high dollar book like X-Men 1. Yes, he's the creator of the book, but it's the book that is valuable, the signature is not. I'll find far more Stan Lee signatures than X-Men 1s

However, I have seen Stan Lee sign the CGC case, and not the book, which IMO is much better. So, if the need to sell it comes to play, the potential buyer could simply resubmit a reholdering if they don't want the Stan Lee sig

Of course, this decision is up to you, but IMO putting a signature that has flooded the market on a high value book, decreases interest and value on said book.

Just my 2cents

Thanks,

Bruno

It's like a 'purist' thing. A lot of us don't like keys (especially mega keys) signed.

Everyone likes a key. Not everyone likes a key signed. You'd be shrinking your potential resale market (though I know you don't care about this).

Think of it like buying a house with a pool. Everyone likes swimming in one. But a lot fewer people want to own one for whatever reason they may have.

(Note: I am not against signatures, I just don't like them on key issues really. I prefer them on classic covers or storylines/etc).

So I see a lot of people have voted A.

Does the chipping not put people off?

I can't stand chipping, I won't touch a book with it, no even one with a few tiny pre-chips.

Like I said before, if A had no chips I'd get it for sure, but it does, so my choice is B

Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies.

Definitely a lot of great ones.

My wife did buy me an X-men 1 poster.

Could get him to sign that.

And a recreation is a cool idea. I could get that cgc ss'd as a non grade.

Does anyone know of the boardies that do these recreations?

If he did sign the slab how will that keep? I.e. Will it rub off easily if you accidentally touch it?

Food for thought.

Does anyone know of the boardies that do these recreations?.

If I remember correctly, I believe it was Artboy99 that did my DD cover recreation. It is absolutely fantastic. Like, spot on fantastic.

That's a good suggestion. Get a nice 11 x 17 cover recreated and have Stan sign that, then frame that bad boy in a beautiful matted frame.

There's always back-forth on here about mega key SS slabs. If I had a choice, I'd go with your original plan... it's Stan the Man's sig, not some random Joe Schmoe's or a previous owner's. SS versions are rarer, and incidentally tend to sell for more when it comes down to it.

My AF15 is SS, my X-Men 1 is blue label... wouldn't mind if the latter were gold, while AF15 blue comes off as a li'l boring to me. Esp. in low to mid grades, not too scarce a book (same goes for X-Men 1).

I respect the purist point of view, as well. But SS is golden, literally and figuratively. : )

2c

C isn't even an option for me because of the wrap and the crease through the "E", also the price.

It's tight but I would go with A - Brighter, well centered and I would rather have a few chips over the multiple creases on B.

Congrats and have fun at the event. :)

I didnt pick any

A, chip on right side of cover :sick:

B, heavy tanning :sick:

C, lots of general wear and don't like the centering :sick:

Thanks for giving your opinion.

I appreciate it, if you can find a nicer 6.0 I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Bruno

Not a 6.0, but a nice 7.5 coming up on ComicConnects next auction.

Without seeing a back cover, option B is the best book IMO

Yep, I agree. Colors are better too. This looks like Option B... http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=37103513

If so, you don't have to pay the 3% fee if you pay them with a check. PM Conan on this for specifics (Mycomicshop). He is a member here on the Boards.