• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Superman 1

46 posts in this topic

what would it be larson, mile high what!!!!

From what I've been able to gather, it's in very good company in terms of the books in the collection around it, is anywhere from 8.0 to 9.2 and is a non-pedigree copy.

It's the non pedigree copy which sleeps with the Church Action#1,

followed by either the 7.5 unrestored copy that sold last year,

...or the restored-but-no-longer-restored 8.0 Church copy., depending on your opinion,

give or take another anecdotal HG copy somewhere out there,....

you know,there are still alot of ungraded superman # 1S out there,youre going to see copies[at least someday soon i hope]that will grade higher than the current census,,sure there rare in condition,but i know there are ALOT of copies still ungraded ot there.....

what is supes 1 a gerber 6 i think.

overstreet est 200 plus copies,

i have only seen more copies of batman # 1 THAN SUPERMAN # 1

i have seen so many copies over 30 years,so there out the ,the great ones,,you just havnt seen em yet

I have heard dealers state with certainty that Superman 1s are far scarcer for whatever reason than we would assume. I never thought so, but, look around - - -how many are ever up for sale? hardly any. It cant be because no one ever sells them for obscure emotinal reasons. Theyre just not out there as many as the other comparable keys. I dont know where all the thousands of copies from all printings went ; maybe in paper drives during WWII, but ALL comics should be equally affected, no?

im saying dont trust everything you here from a dealer who has an agenda to drive prices up..i do believe thaat superman #1 is rare in high grade unrestored condition but i believe with no dought that there are a few copies yet ungraded out there that will post over 8.0.....i cant have people tell me i havnt seen what i have seen with my own eyes over 30 years,there are quite a few supes 1s out there,restored,unrestored,im counting them all...around 1995 there were many on the market at one time,now there is a glut....anyway like anything else, high prices will bring these 9.0s out of the woodwork,just be patient,you will see im right.im not afraid to lean the other way agaist the crowd on this one..you will see a superman #1 COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK

'ONE"... or many will come out above 8.0?

If you look back at the Sotheby's catelogs, they werent there either. And the major Pedigrees were Supes-less, so youre counting on a heck of a lot of no-name copies showing up. I can see a few, but just how many more? not likely.

i will admit alot of superman 1s have coupon cuts adding to the difficulty of high grade,,and that bright yellow cover shows every bit of dirt,adding to its difficulty in high grade unrestored condition....yea,i see it as a tuff book in high grade but there out there[A FEW]....there are super collectors out there who just dont want there books in cgc folders....i believe the dentist is one of them. there is a unrestored supes 1 over 8.0 out there,,time will prove me out.i really dont think 8.0 is gonna do it for this book,,

Dave Dentist HAS a better copy, so thats one, but we already counted it (I did, at least). And I agree there is another above 7.5 or 8.0. But beyond that, I dunno. Dealers would have seen it or owned it in the last 20 years and they just havent. The fact that Superman 1 was NOT in the major Pedigree collections is a major problem if you expect more (than the one potential copy we both agree must be there) to show up.

I have heard dealers state with certainty that Superman 1s are far scarcer for whatever reason than we would assume. I never thought so, but, look around - - -how many are ever up for sale? hardly any. It cant be because no one ever sells them for obscure emotinal reasons. Theyre just not out there as many as the other comparable keys. I dont know where all the thousands of copies from all printings went ; maybe in paper drives during WWII, but ALL comics should be equally affected, no?

Adding to the anecdotal evidence stated by some posters in this thread, I would say in my unscientific observation that Bat #1's show up on ebay substantially more often than Supes #1's.

I'd also be curious about people's opinions on Action #1 current availability (in any grade) and Tec #27 current availability in any grade. Seems like there have been at least a couple Action #1's on ebay over the past year, but I'm not sure I recall any Tec #27's over the same time.

yes,regardless of grade ive seen alot of action 1s on the market over the last 2 years,howver there all always restored and if unrestored never over vg[im talkin the last 2 years folks!...yes,im seeing less tec 27s...but ive seen years were there were more tec 27s on the market than action 1s too...lets see what this years movie does.[batman].....i do believe it is in general a little scarcer than action 1

but if you owned either of those books in any grade above Fine, WHY would you ell them? Except for personal financial needs. They are th emost solid books out there. Their only neg is the tiny pool of willing AND able buyers as the value climbs. But th efew HGish copies are not IMO leaving their nests any time soon.

Of course if Parrino were to offer a few million for the 2nd or 3rd best copy. somebody MIGHT get tempted... dont you think?

what im saying in a nutshell is that there is a copy out there,maybe a FEW,that will grade over 8.0[superman1].unrestored!..do you believe i am incorrect??...serious question,im not being a wise guy...let me know.

how could I know if you are incorrect? I would have to know with absolutely no doubt that NO copies exist lik ethat. And just how could I be so clairevoyant? But it sounds like a trick question... like YOU DO know of these copies' whereabouts. Do you? Or are you just surmising cause " It MUST be true! I hope"