• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,647 posts in this topic

Kelly probably has it right. I think good fortune does play a part in forming one's impressions. I've had a couple of #6's for instance. And I've noticed a couple of #10's have turned up in the past year.

My #34:

PlanetComics3490-1.jpg

In addition to the hard six, others are almost as tough I think. Maybe 4,5,8,18,19,33,35 would be in the next scarcity category.

The other factor is colour of course. Finding high grade copies with colours that pop is a true challenge. Steve's #5 is the only one I've seen with such deep colours. Most are orange. Likewise most #18's seem washed out...

Edited by alanna

Planet 4 is also well-known for having washed out colors (besides being a CGC 9.4, this is what also makes Jeff's book stand out for me). I don't think it's as tough as some of the other Planets mentioned, but it is a very cool issue nonetheless.

On your Planet 34, there is way too much green hue in that picture - scanner settings?

Finally, my Planet 5 is the Larson which helped to freshly preserve it - I'm lucky in that regard because it indeed does have the richest colors I've ever seen on that particular issue (Jeff's CGC 9.2 is gorgeous, as well).

Very good discussion, btw - learning some interesting tidbits, and seeing some really great books.

I've been working on my run for about 4 years, and limiting myself to books in the 6.0 to 9.0 range. Within that grade range, I have yet to see a 2 or 5 for sale or auction. Likewise with 14 and 15. There is actually only one graded 14 (a 6.0) and no 15s in my grade range. If I was picking the six that have been hardest for me, I would likely go with 15,14,5,2,17,18. Everything in the teens are tough though. And the early 20s aren't that easy either. They get even harder when you factor in trying to get ones with nice colors.

Also, the competition for these books seems to be growing and growing! I was sure getting them a lot cheaper a couple years ago.

Mine is too orange. It's a nice looking book, but knowing that it is supposed to be red lessens its attraction.

..I'd hypothesise that the damsel on the cover of #15 would have been wearing a red dress, but all the copies I've seen are orange. This is the curse of collecting Fiction House!

It's also confusing. For instance where reds have faded, apparently bright yellow backgrounds may in fact once have been orange. And different rules seem to apply to blues. So blues can fade to green while reds remain bright. While magenta can only be described as "fugitive".

I've been hunting high amd low for a scan I thought I'd kept of a copy of Rangers #25 sold here on the boards a couple of years ago, where the girl's dress is a deep purple with all sorts of detail in the folds of the maerial. Sadly, I cant find it - did anyone else perchance keep a copy of that one? It was a wonder to behold.

On your Planet 34, there is way too much green hue in that picture - scanner settings?

Here is a better scan of that book, courtesy of skybolt (Many thanks Ed!)

planet34.jpg

Here is an even better scan (more accurate on the true coloring) of your book. It does have much better coloring than your first scan.

It is a very nice book. (thumbs u

431d0093.jpg

13, 14, and 15 have all been tough for me. If anyone has HQ books, I'd love to see them.

Here is a 13. I own this one. I submitted it and can attest it is a very nice book inside and out.

04ab6eae.jpg

One "Bonus" aspect of 13 is that it has one of the coolest back covers...

5e5fc3f4.jpg

Here is a 14 that was up on Ebay about 2 weeks ago with a 'buy it now' option. It was only on Ebay for about 36 hours. I contacted the seller by phone to try and make a deal but by the time I got him (eventually by email), he said it was no longer available. The price was very strong on this 5.5. This is only the second 14 I had ever seen for sale, the other being G+. There are only two graded higher, a 6.0 (see heritage archive) and a 9.2 church book.

Anyone on the boards the new owner?

f66359d2.jpg

Beautiful Planet 13, Kelly.

Just for the record, the Larson collection was stingy on Planets - only 1 through 7 (and the 1 has a coupon cut out of the front cover).

And the 2 has a black stain on the bottom back cover.

Beautiful Planet 13, Kelly.

Just for the record, the Larson collection was stingy on Planets - only 1 through 7 (and the 1 has a coupon cut out of the front cover).

And the 2 has a black stain on the bottom back cover.

I examined the Larson Planet 2 very carefully at SDCC some years ago, and the dealer's grading and pricing was so far off, I walked away.

I believe the dealer (whom I now refuse to do business with - take a guess) still has the book for sale, even these years later.

If a buyer does come along, they are going to be very disappointed if the book ever gets CGC'd. Shame.