• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,647 posts in this topic

Planet 34 shouldn't be listed that high. Heck, even I have a copy ... of sorts ...

It has great color (I didn't tweak colors on this scan), esp. the reds, ... now if only it was all there :sorry: This is how the other half lives and then we read your posts :cry:

Btw, now everyone should know that the cones in the background were intended to be orange. Check out the red outfitted guy standing next to the cones.

Keep them coming :popcorn:

Planet34.jpg

Nice colors on your two 9.0's. :applause:

Agreed! :applause:

If we are still on the topic of scarcity - this one is tough in grade - Jeff's is easily the best I've seen. Here's mine:

PlanetComics6560-1.jpg

This one is really tough. Only 11 on the census, and only 3 of those are above 6.0. With a lone 8.0 as the highest graded. Also one of the high numbers I still need. :cry:

67 is also a though issue. Only 9 on the census, with an 8.0 as the highest. I've been planning on resubmitting this one to CGC for ages. This scan is with my old scanner, so the colors are actually a little better than this.

Planet67.jpg

If we are still on the topic of scarcity - this one is tough in grade - Jeff's is easily the best I've seen. Here's mine:

PlanetComics6560-1.jpg

This one is really tough. Only 11 on the census, and only 3 of those are above 6.0. With a lone 8.0 as the highest graded. Also one of the high numbers I still need. :cry:

Of the 11, I wonder how many are owned by boardies.

Planet65.jpg

This is the only later Planet I own (other than the fairly common 70) as I hadn't really considered them prior, but don't recall seeing them very often.

Thus I haven't a clue where it fits in with the other noted scarce books being posted here, but with such great colors and being the last issue in run, I snagged it.

Planet73001.jpg

Edited by sacentaur

PlanetComics6560-1.jpg

Planet65.jpg

I have said many times that 65 is the toughest book from 50-73. I can definitely attest that Jeff's 8.0 is super nice. There are other tough ones like 67 and 72 to name a couple, but I think I would agree with a starment before about 34 that "tough" can sometimes be determined by luck. As far as 34 goes, there must be several of us that are lucky to have one, but many more of us who are unlucky in finding a copy.

This seems to be true with 8 as well. It looks like a few here have an 8, but it rarely sees the light of day to be sold. Continuing on the luck theme, 8 was one of the first few Planets I ever bought, but it's true scareceness did not hit me until several years went by without seeing 1 single copy for sale.

Mine is too orange. It's a nice looking book, but knowing that it is supposed to be red lessens its attraction.

..I'd hypothesise that the damsel on the cover of #15 would have been wearing a red dress, but all the copies I've seen are orange. This is the curse of collecting Fiction House.

If you wanted to know what a RED dress would look like on the cover, here it is.

bf494f64.jpg

Also, I don't think it was supposed to be red. Below is a scan of the back cover of my Rangers #2 which shows a Planet 15 with an orange dress. Notice how the title of the Jungle comics is darker and not orange, so within the same printing run/coloring it shows two hues and the Planet is definitely orange and the jungle is definitely red/orange. Even if 15 were printed "darker", it would seem to me to be just a dark/deep orange and not red. My 2 cents....for now, but my opinion can be swayed.....

a70745a8.jpg

Mine is too orange. It's a nice looking book, but knowing that it is supposed to be red lessens its attraction.

..I'd hypothesise that the damsel on the cover of #15 would have been wearing a red dress, but all the copies I've seen are orange. This is the curse of collecting Fiction House.

If you wanted to know what a RED dress would look like on the cover, here it is.

bf494f64.jpg

Also, I don't think it was supposed to be red. Below is a scan of the back cover of my Rangers #2 which shows a Planet 15 with an orange dress. Notice how the title of the Jungle comics is darker and not orange, so within the same printing run/coloring it shows two hues and the Planet is definitely orange and the jungle is definitely red/orange. Even if 15 were printed "darker", it would seem to me to be just a dark/deep orange and not red. My 2 cents....for now, but my opinion can be swayed.....

a70745a8.jpg

Cool research! This is very helpful, now if I ever get a chance at this incredibly rare book at least I won't convince myself to hold out for a more red one!

PlanetComics6560-1.jpg

Planet65.jpg

I have said many times that 65 is the toughest book from 50-73. I can definitely attest that Jeff's 8.0 is super nice. There are other tough ones like 67 and 72 to name a couple, but I think I would agree with a starment before about 34 that "tough" can sometimes be determined by luck. As far as 34 goes, there must be several of us that are lucky to have one, but many more of us who are unlucky in finding a copy.

This seems to be true with 8 as well. It looks like a few here have an 8, but it rarely sees the light of day to be sold. Continuing on the luck theme, 8 was one of the first few Planets I ever bought, but it's true scareceness did not hit me until several years went by without seeing 1 single copy for sale.

Probably not as tough as some of the other books mentioned in this thread, but still a bit scarce in HG.

planetcomics72cgc90l2.jpg

planetcomics72cgc90f.jpg

PlanetComics6560-1.jpg

Planet65.jpg

Oddly enough I did a deal in the late 90s at a U.S. show (I think it was Heroes Con in Charlotte) for a stack of mostly GA books that had two copies of Planet 65. Neither was in super-nice shape (they were both around 5.0 - 5.5) but they were decent enough. I must've sold both of them, but I don't recall them being fast movers at all.

When I started gaining an interest in GA / Atom Age sci-fi several years ago, I found it impossible to pick a copy of this book up. :pullhair:

The 65, 66, 71, and 72 all seem to be VERY difficult in 7.0 or better.....I ended up settling for a 72 with a beautiful front, but some serious flaws on the back....and it was still priced like a high grade.....luckily I was able to trade for it. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Probably not as tough as some of the other books mentioned in this thread, but still a bit scarce in HG.

planetcomics72cgc90l2.jpg

planetcomics72cgc90f.jpg

Yep, it is tough. I got this one from Kelly and have yet to see a better copy for sale.

Planet72.jpg

This one is missing a triangular chunk of about a quarter inch or more on the back cover from a mylar tragedy....cover AND pages to the centerfold....and it was still several hundred dollars raw. I had given up on ever finding a high grade copy and this one had great PQ and looks good in a mylar. If you look close at the lower left, you can see a faint crease that shows the shape of what is missing from the back half of the book. These Whitman covers, unlike some in the Gerber's, look even better at full size. GOD BLESS...

scan0013-5.jpg[/img]

I really really like the late part of the run, so I kind of hoard them.

planet72.jpg

planet70-70.jpg

planet73-1.jpg

Planet73.jpg

Planet73cgc80.jpg

.....I see blinking envelopes in your future.....GOD BLESS...