• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,655 posts in this topic

Guys, this might be a stupid question but given the problem FH books have with dull or incomplete colors on their covers, how do you determine if a copy is colored the way it's supposed to be? Is it just based on experience, after seeing multiple copies of a book? For example, every time I see orange on a book, I'm inclined to assume it's supposed to be red which may or may not be the case.

I ask because I've begun dipping my toe into FH, but I don't want to buy a book with incomplete/weak colors.

It's a good question! Experience is part of it I guess. As an example, an orange cover doesn't bother me on Rangers #26, as the 'average' seems to be kind of a medium orange, but on Rangers #17 I've seen copies with deeper reddish-orange backgrounds, so I'd look for those if I can ... But really, at the end of the day, I just look for appealing copies that don't 'seem' washed out. Don't make yourself crazy over it.

You can also try Heritage archives... depending on the book, they often have a number of different copies in their records.

Thanks, using Heritage is a good idea. (thumbs u

The logos make me the most paranoid.

When the colors are true they tend to pop. Also, one notices subtle variations in color, say on a leg, a face, or a fold of cloth. These areas become monochromatic in copies where the colors have dulled.

It has been suggested that the strength and luminosity of the colors depends on whether a given copy was early or late in its print run, rather than on lack of color-fastness or sun fading. I tend to agree with this myself, and it seems to be the general consensus here.

But I have noticed that even when reds are intense, it does not necessarily follow that blues will be also.

I think it is feasible that blues can fade to a slightly greenish hue, just as they frequently do on Superman's costume, but that not all colors fade equally.

There is also the possibility that color overlays are intentionally used to modify primary colors.

For example, pure yellow backgrounds may sometimes have had a reddish overlay. So it doesnt always follow that the brightest colors are "correct" in the sense that they follow the intended color composition.

I think you are also probably quite right to point out that it doesnt always follow that if an area of color is now orange, that it was always intended to be red. And in some cases we may never know.

When one does see a cover as it was intended, though, there is generally no mistaking it is there? The vast majority of Fiction House are not scarce relative to many other Golden Age books (except in a small handful of cases). But combine low print runs with "original" colors and scarce becomes rare, even fugitive.

Guys, this might be a stupid question but given the problem FH books have with dull or incomplete colors on their covers, how do you determine if a copy is colored the way it's supposed to be? Is it just based on experience, after seeing multiple copies of a book? For example, every time I see orange on a book, I'm inclined to assume it's supposed to be red which may or may not be the case.

I ask because I've begun dipping my toe into FH, but I don't want to buy a book with incomplete/weak colors.

The best way is to post a picture of a cover and say, 'this is the best one I've ever seen!' It takes about 5 minutes before some else will post one even better.

Hello! I am new to the Forums, but a long time Fiction House collector. I have these issues of WINGS that may be from the Church collection or some other pedigree. group. I'm hoping to post issues #75, 76 and 77. The January issue #77 has a dust shadow down the front cover edge, indicating maybe from top of a stack. Anyway I'd like your opinions about the conditions. Thanks.

590578921_o.jpg

Edited by Bart

Thanks for the welcoming! I look forward to visiting and seeing other FH House books.

Ive enjoyed this long thread! Here are a few more WINGS and these have the number 3 penciled in or near the logo.

591158169_o.jpg

Thanks for the welcoming! I look forward to visiting and seeing other FH House books.

Ive enjoyed this long thread! Here are a few more WINGS and these have the number 3 penciled in or near the logo.

591158169_o.jpg

:cloud9: That's on my want list ... well, every issue is but I don't have a copy yet lol