• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large Estate of collectibles & merchandise - need advice
3 3

118 posts in this topic

There were 3 file cabinets full of stuff, but the battery was just about dead and it was getting late:

IMG_20170105_203021681_zps5uuwaxcz.jpg

IMG_20170105_203103484_zpstisot4wj.jpg

IMG_20170105_203223552_zpsn05purtk.jpg

IMG_20170105_203331253_zpstirzvohq.jpg

I’m not looking to make a dime, just trying to help out a friend’s family. But this is way out of my league.

This is located in the North Central Ohio region (if you couldn’t tell by the sports memorabilia).

Thanks for looking and any advice!

-bc

I could be wrong but looks like newer manufactured collectible stuff and nothing to write home about.

Not looking to buy it, just trying to offer some guidance to a friend's family.

Family has no interest and I get the impression they want it gone as fast as possible. It would take a small UHaul to move this as well as hours of time.

I was actually afraid to make any offer because I was afraid they'd give me the whole lot very cheap just to free up their house.

-bc

I could be wrong but looks like newer manufactured collectible stuff and nothing to write home about.

I agree kav, I didn't see anything older than late 70's, early 80's and newer.

And yes, it's truly a "quantity" :)

-bc

The guy seemed like he really enjoyed buying stuff, which is great. It gave him pleasure.

But he was a compiler, not a "collector."

He might have fallen into some valuable pieces by accident but not on purpose it doesn't look like, or maybe just by the law of averages. For sure it looks like he's got a lot of 90's sports cards which... ugh... you want to steer clear of.

I think that would be the kind of lot that would be great for someone who owned a big comic book / toy store and wanted some inventory and/or decoration. Or it would be great for a decorator who specialized in doing superhero rooms, and wanted authentic stuff.

But as someone said, considering how much you'd have to pay for that... and figure out where to put it? You'd spend a long time and a lot of effort trying to make money off of that if that was your purpose.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

The guy seemed like he really enjoyed buying stuff, which is great. It gave him pleasure.

But he was a compiler, not a "collector."

He might have fallen into some valuable pieces by accident but not on purpose it doesn't look like, or maybe just by the law of averages. For sure it looks like he's got a lot of 90's sports cards which... ugh... you want to steer clear of.

I think that would be the kind of lot that would be great for someone who owned a big comic book / toy store and wanted some inventory and/or decoration. Or it would be great for a decorator who specialized in doing superhero rooms, and wanted authentic stuff.

But as someone said, considering how much you'd have to pay for that... and figure out where to put it? You'd spend a long time and a lot of effort trying to make money off of that if that was your purpose.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

I totally agree with everything you said.

I'm not interested in the stuff or making any money - family came to me first because they knew I collected comic books. Just trying to get a couple of positive karma points early in the year :)

-bc

I guess the advice ranges between advertise on craigslist (local, let buyer do work), ebay (load of work to sell and weak return on the hours to list it, box it and ship it) and contact with a local outlet like collectibles/toys seller (check the places he bought most of it from if there's such a place).

I guess the advice ranges between advertise on craigslist (local, let buyer do work), ebay (load of work to sell and weak return on the hours to list it, box it and ship it) and contact with a local outlet like collectibles/toys seller (check the places he bought most of it from if there's such a place).

Thanks ! Gathering a list of toy/collectible stores in area to call tomorrow. Partly did this to document it so I can reference this thread when I talk with the parties.

-bc

From what I saw of the sports cards you shown they are junk. Those sets aren't what people look for and I'm not even sure people collect sets anymore. You would spend more on shipping than you would selling them for. Unless there are some rookie cards from the 70's or 80's, particularly the Jordan set, then they are just trash.

The autograph ones might be valuable but without a COA I don't see much interest in them.

The guy was definitely a collector.

I handle estate downsizing quite a bit by way of appraisal assignments. It would be most wise they contacted someone nearby to provide them with a better understanding on how to sell this collection properly. If I was closer, I could give them some direction myself.

At the very least, get an accredited appraiser to give them fair market value on the collection. It may cost a few hundred dollars, but at least they'll know what's of value.

What happens if they don't is someone will come in and either cherry pick through it (paying 50-70%) for stuff they could move quickly, or give them 10-30% of it's value to take it all.

If they decide to deal with it themselves, the minute they lead any buyers on that it's a duress sale situation, they will be taken advantage of - I've seen it happen too many times to believe otherwise.

I just handled a substantial estate that had to be broken down into fragments, but when it was sold off this way, I managed to get the heirs 70% of FMV on 90 out of 100 items.

But there was one fragment (the most valued) that was a little more complicated because to get that kind of percentage of FMV, I needed to open it up to a global market. It was high end music memorabilia, and the European markets pay substantially more than North American collectors.

However, many of these items would be too expensive or be too big a hassle to ship. So they decided to keep those items, but they did well enough on 90% of the collection that it didn't seem as big a deal to hang on to those 10 higher caliber pieces.

I handle estate downsizing quite a bit by way of appraisal assignments. It would be most wise they contacted someone nearby to provide them with a better understanding on how to sell this collection properly. If I was closer, I could give them some direction myself.

What happens if they don't is someone will come in and either cherry pick through it (paying 50-70%) for stuff they could move quickly, or give them 10-30% of it's value to take it all.

If they decide to deal with it themselves, the minute they lead any buyers on that it's a duress sale situation, they will be taken advantage of - I've seen it happen too many times to believe otherwise.

I just handled a substantial estate that had to be broken down into fragments, but when it was sold off this way, I managed to get the heirs 70% of FMV on 90 out of 100 items.

But there was one fragment (the most valued) that was a little more complicated because to get that kind of percentage of FMV, I needed to open it up to a global market. It was high end music memorabilia, and the European markets pay substantially more than North American collectors.

However, many of these items would be too expensive or be too big a hassle to ship. So they decided to keep those items, but they did well enough on 90% of the collection that it didn't seem as big a deal to hang on to those 10 higher caliber pieces.

Thank you very much sir! Like I said, this is out of my league and I appreciate any guidance to pass onto this family.

-bc

Odd that in all of that collection there was only a handful of actual comics.

May I ask (if it is not too personal) how old was the person when he passed away? As others of noted, much of the collection does not look very old so I am curious if he was relatively young when he passed.

Hope you're able to help the family.

I'd suggest at the very least to contact an accredited appraiser - this firm looks to be offering personal property appraisal services in OH. I'm able to as well if they decide to shop around for prices.

Feel free to pass my information along if they want to run anything through me for a second opinion, I can be reached through my CPPA online profile.

Odd that in all of that collection there was only a handful of actual comics.

May I ask (if it is not too personal) how old was the person when he passed away? As others of noted, much of the collection does not look very old so I am curious if he was relatively young when he passed.

Hope you're able to help the family.

I believe he was only 62 - not really young, but still too early (to this 50 year old).

-bc

I had copies of those LP's earlier this year - went for about $15 USD each via ebay.

The collection is very similar to an auction lot of 15 boxes I grabbed last year, but luckily there were many more comics in it.

For someone with lots of time, and an established ebay store, they may want to take it on, but as others have said, there doesn't appear to be many valuable items in it.

Personally, I'd take any reasonable offer to move out the whole lot in one hit.

It's a nice thing you are doing,hope it doesn't get too stressful!

I'd suggest at the very least to contact an accredited appraiser - this firm looks to be offering personal property appraisal services in OH. I'm able to as well if they decide to shop around for prices.

Feel free to pass my information along if they want to run anything through me for a second opinion, I can be reached through my CPPA online profile.

Excellent ! (thumbs u

I will pass along that info to them.

-bc