• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BA Batman!

496 posts in this topic

Rob, I've been collecting Golden Age for so long that I'm used to accepting lower grades, even in Silver and Bronze.

The Detective #408 I posted is a good example. I could spend $200-$250 on a 9.4, or hold onto the 8.5 that cost me $45(from Metro!). The front cover is easily 9.4, all the problems are on the bc.

I could spend $200-$250 on a 9.4, or hold onto the 8.5 that cost me $45(from Metro!).

Exactly. And for what? To avoid a few spine stresses? (On a typical comic, I know you said yours were back cover flaws.) I'm not sure I'm convinced 2 or 3 spine stresses aren't worth $200 to me, to spend on other comics.

But then we're back to the quantity vs. quality, collection vs. accumulation debate. Maybe I should move it to the 9.2 vs. 9.4 thread. smile.gif

Or maybe I want a new 30GB ipod, new car speakers, and an HDTV. Should I sacrifice those things just to have a few more comics in the back room?

It honestly becomes a sickness. I have noticed that I look more at the flaws than the cover sometimes. This disturbs me. There really is no need to be so anal about a few minor imperfections. Once you get to the point where a book in the low 9s is no longer good enough, you really should take a step back and ask what your collecting motivations are. Are you buying the comics for the art and stories, or are you buying comics for their lack of flaws or their slabbed grade?

My dad was a longtime card collector and has Topps Baseball complete sets from the early 60s...all in what would be VF-NM shape (I can't remember how to grade cards anymore, but that's what they would be if they were comics). He always laughed at the HG fetish and graded stuff. He could never justify the hefty price hike between two cards that appeared essentially the same, but were separated by minor flaws. I guess I got that from him. Every time I want a 9.4, I look at an 8.5 or a 9.0 and ask myself where the extra money is going. To each his own, but I just can't bring myself to drop twice as much money for a few less spine stresses.

Seeing your 9.0 and 8.5 comics made me decide to keep my 9.0 Detective 436 I had listed on eBay. I don't need $15-$20 that bad.

I was going to bid! Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif Nice copy with only slight spine wear.

Glad you are not selling it though....gotta keep it real. thumbsup2.gif

Are you buying the comics for the art and stories, or are you buying comics for their lack of flaws or their slabbed grade?

I agree. But then I ask myself, why not collect 4.0's? I do in Golden Age, but why not Bronze? Maybe because the price of a 9.0 is still reasonable, and I have to set a limit? (Trying to internalize this.)

So if a 4.0 is $10, 6.0 is $20, 9.0 is $50, and 9.4 is $300, I can judge from the price points that 9.0 is my sweet spot.

Are you buying the comics for the art and stories, or are you buying comics for their lack of flaws or their slabbed grade?

I agree. But then I ask myself, why not collect 4.0's? I do in Golden Age, but why not Bronze? Maybe because the price of a 9.0 is still reasonable, and I have to set a limit? (Trying to internalize this.)

So if a 4.0 is $10, 6.0 is $20, 9.0 is $50, and 9.4 is $300, I can judge from the price points that 9.0 is my sweet spot.

Could not agree more. 8.0-9.0 is BA is the happy median between grade and cost. You get nice eye appeal for a comparitvely reasonable price.

Nearmint, those are primo books and exactly what I will be looking for at upcoming shows in raw 8.0-9.0. thumbsup2.gif

Sid, I don't know if you're interested, but there's a raw 'tec #404(8.5) and #407(8.0) on my site.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I am interested in those issues but I'll probably wait 'til San Diego and Chicago where I can shop around and hopefully find copies that I feel are underpriced. Even when I buy books for "myself" I always try to find bargains as I know that eventually all the comics I buy will be for sale. With this line of thinking I often have to pass up really nice books just because they are priced accurately.

Rob, it appears that you, Andy and myself think alot alike when it comes to pricing and grades. Your example seems fairly accurate and I am right in there with those 9.0s, and maybe the 8.0s would be about $35-40. After that I cannot justify the extra bit of quality for my pocketbook.

Rob, it appears that you, Andy and myself think alot alike when it comes to pricing and grades. Your example seems fairly accurate and I am right in there with those 9.0s, and maybe the 8.0s would be about $35-40. After that I cannot justify the extra bit of quality for my pocketbook.

Exactly. I can justify a higher grade if the price difference is a fraction of the lower grade, but not multiples of the lower grade.

$60 in 9.0 to $80 in 9.2, sure.

$80 in 9.2 to $200 in 9.4, no thanks.

Nice book! Why are you thinking about letting it go?

I already have another raw copy of this book, probably an 8.0. Still a pretty nice book that suits my needs fine.

Also, I only have a few PGAs left and I was thinking of getting rid of them all.

Took a shot on this one. I know Jef Hinds under-grades and this issue is annoying to find in any condition. The scan is small, but I would not be shocked to get it in better than the advertised grade...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

BTW: he has a cheap copy of 227 up as well that also looks to be under-graded. I would buy it myself but I am trying to cut back on my spending where I can. Check it out. thumbsup2.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WD1V

Took a shot on this one. I know Jef Hinds under-grades and this issue is annoying to find in any condition. The scan is small, but I would not be shocked to get it in better than the advertised grade...

BTW: he has a cheap copy of 227 up as well that also looks to be under-graded. I would buy it myself but I am trying to cut back on my spending where I can. Check it out. thumbsup2.gif

No sooner said than done. That #227 is now mine. laugh.gif Now, I'm off to see what other super deals he has and I may get a few more. Thanks for the tip Andy. thumbsup2.gif

No sooner said than done. That #227 is now mine. laugh.gif Now, I'm off to see what other super deals he has and I may get a few more. Thanks for the tip Andy. thumbsup2.gif

No problemo. I was sure that someone would snap it up, might as well be a board member. thumbsup2.gif Be sure to post a scan when you get it, I am curious to see how we will grade it in relation to the seller. I recently bought a Batman 244 off him as well. I feel I got it for a good price, considering how hot that issue is...