• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BA Batman!

496 posts in this topic

That's the way to go if you are a miserly, bargain-hunting cheapass like me.

If October_Fire ever gets a custom title, that gets my vote. thumbsup2.gif27_laughing.gif

Couldn't agree more. 893applaud-thumb.gif

That's the way to go if you are a miserly, bargain-hunting cheapass like me.

If October_Fire ever gets a custom title, that gets my vote. thumbsup2.gif27_laughing.gif

Couldn't agree more. 893applaud-thumb.gif

You can add me to that list of "Cheapasses" too. Sometimes I buy full value books if that value is fairly cheap or if I really want it for myself. But in at least 75%+ of my purchases I am going cheapass. BUT, let me say that this is keeping the flip in mind. Maybe not right away, but eventually everything goes on the auction block, so therefore the cheapass system is the most profitable system for me. Problem with this though, as I'm sure Oct. will agree, is that you miss out on some nice books this way. But the good side is that you also rarely ever lose on a deal when it comes time to sell.

Maybe not right away, but eventually everything goes on the auction block...

Same here. I get discouraged every time I realize that I rent my comics.

The majority of my stuff is in the keeper pile, at least until I upgrade. Most of my cheapness comes from necessity rather than choice. However, even when I am eventually able to afford top notch BA stuff, I will probably just skip it and look for decent GA instead. confused-smiley-013.gif I think I am a VF man to the core.

confused-smiley-013.gif I think I am a VF man to the core.

I think it all comes down to how you value your money, and how you value your comics as compared to everything else in your life. What's better, an Uncanny X-Men #94 in 9.4 or a copy in 8.0 and a trip to Vegas (or a new TV, etc.) for the same price?

Comics are VERY important to me, BUT the search for perfection and the expense that comes with it is not more important to me than many other things in my life, especially when I can still buy a very nice book with a few small flaws at a fraction of the cost of another without those small flaws. To each his own and I'm sure some people would gladly pay the extra $$ for that perfection. I don't preach my collecting style, but I do try to explain it. And I am equally interested in why others prioritize things differently. Debates on this subject are fun, but only for argument's sake as nobody knows what's best for someone else and nobody has a "better way of collecting" than anyone else.

I think it all comes down to how you value your money, and how you value your comics as compared to everything else in your life. What's better, an Uncanny X-Men #94 in 9.4 or a copy in 8.0 and a trip to Vegas (or a new TV, etc.) for the same price?

Comics are VERY important to me, BUT the search for perfection and the expense that comes with it is not more important to me than many other things in my life, especially when I can still buy a very nice book with a few small flaws at a fraction of the cost of another without those small flaws. To each his own and I'm sure some people would gladly pay the extra $$ for that perfection. I don't preach my collecting style, but I do try to explain it. And I am equally interested in why others prioritize things differently. Debates on this subject are fun, but only for argument's sake as nobody knows what's best for someone else and nobody has a "better way of collecting" than anyone else.

Yup, that's how I feel about it. Pretty much every week I have to decide if I want a VF/NM copy and a weekend at home, or a F/VF and a night of drinking or a date. Comics have not won yet.........well, maybe once. tongue.gif

Yup, that's how I feel about it. Pretty much every week I have to decide if I want a VF/NM copy and a weekend at home, or a F/VF and a night of drinking or a date. Comics have not won yet.........well, maybe once. tongue.gif

I'm the same way. But I usually save up a grand or two, hoping to buy 1 really killer book, or a handful of decent books. Then I start to think about all the other things I could do with the money, that I won't be able to once I buy some comics that sit in a box. Just typing it is making me feel silly about buying comics. I know, it's an investment, like stocks. OK, I would rather enjoy a big screen TV than an investment in a box. (Not really, or I wouldn't spend so much time here.)

I guess the bottom line is that I try and have a decent collection and a decent social life at the same time. Since I buy a lot of cheap things, it helps to not think about how much they all add up to.

...the search for perfection and the expense that comes with it is not more important to me than many other things in my life, especially when I can still buy a very nice book with a few small flaws at a fraction of the cost of another without those small flaws. To each his own and I'm sure some people would gladly pay the extra $$ for that perfection. I don't preach my collecting style, but I do try to explain it. And I am equally interested in why others prioritize things differently.

In my case, I recognize that I suffer from perfectionism in many areas of my life. With comics,

near perfect books induce a bliss-filled state, while even very minor defects place the book

into the same mental category as a VG.

A symptom of this irrational attitude is that I get rid of books I don't consider nice enough

before finding a better copy. I literally would rather not have the book than have a copy that

seems sub-par. I could pay $100 for a book that guides for $50, and then if I later notice it has a

hidden defect that bothers me, I will want to blow it out for $20.

There is no sense in this type of thinking. I know it is stupid from a rational standpoint,

but these are the only books that give me "collecting pleasure." I still enjoy reading low

grade books when I have them around, and reading collections and trades of the material

I enjoy. These activities have nothing to do with collecting though.

I would rather have the limited quantity of really nice books I have than complete runs of

9.0's. I have tried lowering my requirements in the past and I can never stick to it and end up

getting rid of the books. I have succeeded in being satisfied with 10-cent Batmans in FN

condition, so I see that as a step in the right direction.

I think if the time comes that I could no longer justify prioritizing the expense of the books

I enjoy, I would stop collecting back issues altogether and just buy Archives and

Masterworks to read.

Manifestations of perfectionistic thinking abound in other areas of my life. I think many people

with this type of mental proclivity are drawn to collecting, an activity that involves the

imposition of order, constantly trying to improve something, etc., so I think the percentage of

perfectionists in collecting is higher than the general population.

By the way, I previewed and edited this post about five times trying to make sure the wording

was just the way I wanted. Same type of behavior insane.gif

...the search for perfection and the expense that comes with it is not more important to me than many other things in my life, especially when I can still buy a very nice book with a few small flaws at a fraction of the cost of another without those small flaws. To each his own and I'm sure some people would gladly pay the extra $$ for that perfection. I don't preach my collecting style, but I do try to explain it. And I am equally interested in why others prioritize things differently.

I could pay $100 for a book that guides for $50, and then if I later notice it has a

Please PM me when you feel another bout of this coming on. grin.gif

Seriously though, this hobby does seem to draw out the anal-retentive side of people's natures. If you are cognizant of it though, control is possible. I sometimes find myself not seeing the books, only the defects. Whenever this happens I just take a step back and remind myself why I enjoy the hobby. I like it for the art, the stories and for the fellow collectors. I am not in this to find "perfection" in a funnybook. Preoccupation with grading, restoration and the minutiae of your books is not really fun and that's what this is all about....fun. I would suggest buying a few books in 8.0 or 9.0 and trying hard to be "ok" with them.

I could pay $100 for a book that guides for $50, and then if I later notice it has a

Seriously though, this hobby does seem to draw out the anal-retentive side of people's natures. If you are cognizant of it though, control is possible. I sometimes find myself not seeing the books, only the defects. Whenever this happens I just take a step back and remind myself why I enjoy the hobby. I like it for the art, the stories and for the fellow collectors. I am not in this to find "perfection" in a funnybook. Preoccupation with grading, restoration and the minutiae of your books is not really fun and that's what this is all about....fun. I would suggest buying a few books in 8.0 or 9.0 and trying hard to be "ok" with them.

OK

OK

Are you trying to deny that you are anal-retentive when it comes to comics? 27_laughing.gif

OK

Are you trying to deny that you are anal-retentive when it comes to comics? 27_laughing.gif

NO

OK

NO

Prove it foolio! sumo.gif

OK

NO

Prove it foolio! sumo.gif

I didn't freak out today when I received your books. Why do the NM- books have spine breaks? poke2.gif