• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BA Batman!

496 posts in this topic

I would suggest buying a few books in 8.0 or 9.0 and trying hard to be "ok" with them.

I seem to have an easier time doing this if the books are before my time. I love 10-cent Batmans, and have been pretty pleased with the fairly clean FN's I have been able to obtain. With books

I saw new/bought off the stands, I have a much harder time.

Luckily I don't really care much about value, so I get just as big a jolt out of a perfect World's

Finest 213 as a GSXM 1.

...the search for perfection and the expense that comes with it is not more important to me than many other things in my life, especially when I can still buy a very nice book with a few small flaws at a fraction of the cost of another without those small flaws. To each his own and I'm sure some people would gladly pay the extra $$ for that perfection. I don't preach my collecting style, but I do try to explain it. And I am equally interested in why others prioritize things differently.

I could pay $100 for a book that guides for $50, and then if I later notice it has a

hidden defect that bothers me, I will want to blow it out for $20.

Please PM me when you feel another bout of this coming on. grin.gif

Seriously though, this hobby does seem to draw out the anal-retentive side of people's natures. If you are cognizant of it though, control is possible. I sometimes find myself not seeing the books, only the defects. Whenever this happens I just take a step back and remind myself why I enjoy the hobby. I like it for the art, the stories and for the fellow collectors. I am not in this to find "perfection" in a funnybook. Preoccupation with grading, restoration and the minutiae of your books is not really fun and that's what this is all about....fun. I would suggest buying a few books in 8.0 or 9.0 and trying hard to be "ok" with them.

OK

Are you trying to deny that you are anal-retentive when it comes to comics? 27_laughing.gif

NO

Prove it foolio! sumo.gif

I didn't freak out today when I received your books. Why do the NM- books have spine breaks? poke2.gif

sorry.gif

...the search for perfection and the expense that comes with it is not more important to me than many other things in my life, especially when I can still buy a very nice book with a few small flaws at a fraction of the cost of another without those small flaws. To each his own and I'm sure some people would gladly pay the extra $$ for that perfection. I don't preach my collecting style, but I do try to explain it. And I am equally interested in why others prioritize things differently.

In my case, I recognize that I suffer from perfectionism in many areas of my life. With comics,

near perfect books induce a bliss-filled state, while even very minor defects place the book

into the same mental category as a VG.

A symptom of this irrational attitude is that I get rid of books I don't consider nice enough

before finding a better copy. I literally would rather not have the book than have a copy that

seems sub-par. I could pay $100 for a book that guides for $50, and then if I later notice it has a

hidden defect that bothers me, I will want to blow it out for $20.

There is no sense in this type of thinking. I know it is stupid from a rational standpoint,

but these are the only books that give me "collecting pleasure." I still enjoy reading low

grade books when I have them around, and reading collections and trades of the material

I enjoy. These activities have nothing to do with collecting though.

I would rather have the limited quantity of really nice books I have than complete runs of

9.0's. I have tried lowering my requirements in the past and I can never stick to it and end up

getting rid of the books. I have succeeded in being satisfied with 10-cent Batmans in FN

condition, so I see that as a step in the right direction.

I think if the time comes that I could no longer justify prioritizing the expense of the books

I enjoy, I would stop collecting back issues altogether and just buy Archives and

Masterworks to read.

Manifestations of perfectionistic thinking abound in other areas of my life. I think many people

with this type of mental proclivity are drawn to collecting, an activity that involves the

imposition of order, constantly trying to improve something, etc., so I think the percentage of

perfectionists in collecting is higher than the general population.

By the way, I previewed and edited this post about five times trying to make sure the wording

was just the way I wanted. Same type of behavior insane.gif

Hello, my name is Paul Maul and I am a High Grade Addict.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Hello Paul, Hello Paul, Hello Paul, etc......

Paul, thanks for the very honest statement about your collecting style. This is exactly what I was looking for. Explanations for why we go for our preferred grades and the ramifications that come along with it. If you are happy collecting this way, then great. But it almost sounds like you are describing yourself as a slave to your condition requirements, even though those perfect books put you in a "bliss-filled state". Kinda' sounds like a drug addict, but this one is not unhealthy for your body, maybe just for your wallet. But either way, if you are getting out of this hobby what you want, then keep it up. thumbsup2.gif

Just to test myself, I bought a ton of BA books at a fraction of its NM CGC equivalent. And they are not perfect, but they are nice. and the price wasn't bad either... cloud9.gif Will I keep them long term---probably not. But the pages are white, VF+ quality books that I can read and enjoy, and I'm sure I won't lose money on the sale.

"Break on through to the other side"

Just to test myself, I bought a ton of BA books at a fraction of its NM CGC equivalent. And they are not perfect, but they are nice. and the price wasn't bad either... cloud9.gif Will I keep them long term---probably not. But the pages are white, VF+ quality books that I can read and enjoy, and I'm sure I won't lose money on the sale.

Lots of ways to enjoy this hobby--I'm thinking about equalizing my collection habits into longer term, high grade CGC acquisitions (not on fire), and VF+ books for enjoyment of art on a shoestring budget.

I did the same thing a few weeks ago. Paid $6 each for some late Bronze Batman's (260's-280) in VF+ or so. I'm considering listing them this weekend.

Nice article Greggy. I thought you made some good choices on what books to highlight. That 9.4 price on Phantom Stranger 26 is shocking.

This is old news Greg! sleeping.gif

When is your next article coming out?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Silver.

My theory-- at least as it pertains to Batman-- is the Bronze Age arrived with Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams' first collaboration "Secret of the Waiting Graves" in Detective 395, January 1970. So the first Bronze Batman is #219, which kind of makes sense because Robin leaves for college in #217, and #218 is a reprint. thumbsup2.gif

Is the 30th anniversary issue of Batman (Batman 213) a bronze age book or are we still in the late Silver Age. It has a cover date of July 1969. Weigh in!

I always pin the start of the BA Batman issues at Tec 395 or after. That was the first time there was an Adams cover and interior art in the same issue on a Batman title, and one of the first "new look" issues. It was also a January 1970 release, so that's a nice round date to start with.

Silver.

My theory-- at least as it pertains to Batman-- is the Bronze Age arrived with Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams' first collaboration "Secret of the Waiting Graves" in Detective 395, January 1970. So the first Bronze Batman is #219, which kind of makes sense because Robin leaves for college in #217, and #218 is a reprint. thumbsup2.gif

Too fast for me! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Well, I ended up buying the copy of Bats 222 that Bodezeffas returned. He paid $127 the first time, I paid $31!!! 893whatthe.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6526682144&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6532622046&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

If it is 7.5 or better I will consider it a great deal. thumbsup2.gif

The writing on the inside back cover goes from edge to edge and is not that smooth. It appears to have a blunted corner (upper left), corner crease (bottom right), and corner tear (lower left). There is aLso some edge wear. Without the writing I would call it a VF- to VF. With the writing it might not be better than a F+.

I have 2 VF to VF+ copies of #222 I might be posting soon. I just purchased a 9.0.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm not sure that writing on the back cover would constitute a drop in grade from VF+ to F+ I'd have to see it, but some of the highest graded copies and pedigrees have significant writing on the Front Cover.