• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are artist sketches gradable / difference between blue and green label?

10 posts in this topic

Please forgive me if I am in the wrong spot to this has been covered before.

I have an artist sketch on a blank cover variant from a local event (non CGC) that I would love to have graded. I understand they are not eligible for "yellow" labels (SS) but are they eligible for "blue" (universal) label grading services??

Any info is greatly appreciated.

PS: It appears the question has come up here as well in this for sale thread here

Oou11Cs.jpg

Many thanks MadGenius!

I have a G.I. JOE #1 (blue label) with a note stating "Bob Mcleod written on 1st page in marker". Any thoughts as to why would it be labeled blue (and have the note) vs. having received the green label?

RAOzsOM.jpg

vyiQP69.jpg

Thanks again!

awesome TMNT sketch.

I agree with the above, it would get a Green label because it's likely 9.4 or higher and with a sketch that "defiles" the book that much (because it wasn't witnessed), it would be qualified... If it was witnessed, it's not considered defilement; rather, it's the opposite - but that's an argument for another day.

As for your GI Joe, the sig is on the first page (which helps vs on the cover) and it was likely viewed by the grader as not being as great a defect (compared to the TMNT sketch) to warrant a Green label. For all you know the GI Joe is a 9.8 and the sketch brought it down to a 9.4

Thanks so much for the clarification and comment Michaelangelo!! I just broke open the wallet, Michael Calero did the real work.

Is it possible for artists to arrange submission directly to CGC for a "yellow" grade and then sell directly to us consumers??

I'm wondering if that is an avenue that could be pursued for artists who have less "convention" access and still want the opportunity to sell to those who prefer yellow labels??

As for your GI Joe, the sig is on the first page (which helps vs on the cover) and it was likely viewed by the grader as not being as great a defect (compared to the TMNT sketch) to warrant a Green label. For all you know the GI Joe is a 9.8 and the sketch brought it down to a 9.4

You never get a green label for a signature on the interior. The GI Joe is a 9.4 with or without the unverified sig.

Thanks so much for the clarification and comment Michaelangelo!! I just broke open the wallet, Michael Calero did the real work.

Is it possible for artists to arrange submission directly to CGC for a "yellow" grade and then sell directly to us consumers??

I'm wondering if that is an avenue that could be pursued for artists who have less "convention" access and still want the opportunity to sell to those who prefer yellow labels??

I'm sure they could hook up with one of the awesome Signature Series facilitators for what we call a "sketch op." Everything is approved through CGC beforehand, I believe.

You never get a green label for a signature on the interior. The GI Joe is a 9.4 with or without the unverified sig.

seconded. interior signatures dont affect grades.

seconded. interior signatures dont affect grades.

good to know (thumbs u

thanks gents