• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

God Country, Image, Cates, Shaw, Wordie, Hill
1 1

89 posts in this topic

Zipdadeedoodah, Zipdayafreakin'A...how great is book ? Issue #3 once again is something new, something unexpected and entirely different than what one would expect. Really starting to fall in love with art too. Keep 'em coming. Donny Cates is rocking it. :headbang:

I think the color work by Wordie (shoulda been a writer) is really hitting it's stride. I still feel a bit of a retro vibe from this book, I don't know, I'm even thinking the coloring is lending to that tone, sometimes it almost has that pixelated look.

1 hour ago, artistlost said:

This is a great series but I am sad to see that it is only going to be a 6 issue mini-series. Would have loved it to me an ongoing...

I wasn't aware of this. Pretty surprised considering how slow the story opened.

With the popularity it has seen, maybe it'll become an ongoing, it has happened before.

Issue #4 is out tomorrow. I'm going to read it tonight along with Redneck #1 :banana:

Sometimes comics can be disappointing and even a little frustrating but this ain't one of those times. We have these 2 books, EoW, Saga, The Walking Dead, Monstress, Southern Bastards, Black Hammer, Briggs Land, BEK, Grass Kings, other small print stuff, and a lot of cool stuff coming out of DC Comics. I used to get upset when things didn't ship on time. Now I'm thankful for the wallet protection. lol 

I don't know. I love it to the point it caused me to go back and buy a bunch of Donny Cates books. I think it and he are both pretty special. Redneck is the 1st book I've gone heavy on, because of this series, in over a year. (shrug)

The art is great but Cates is a wordsmith. I just read the Paybacks volumes #1 and #2 and I've just started on the Ghost Fleet series. Buzzkill was a fun read for me when it came out too. Every once in a while someone comes along and just catches the vibe I'm in at that moment. It happened with Frank Miller (Daredevil, TDKR , and Sin City ), Byrne ( Fantastic Four ), Alan Moore ( The Watchmen and LoXG ), Gaiman ( Sandman ), Ennis ( Hitman, Preacher, and Punisher ) Warren Ellis ( Stormwach, The Authority, and Planetary ) , Grant Morrison ( JLA and X-men, though I had to view the X-men and a different group than I grew up loving ) ,Johns ( JSA and Flash ), Bendis ( Torso, Powers, USM, and New Avengers ),  Kirkman. ( Invincible and The Walking Dead ), Hickman ( Eastof West ), and Aaron ( Southern Bastards ). There are bunches of guys I'm sure to regret leaving off the list but there are more than enough to give you an idea of where this guy is hitting me as I read his stuff. He certainly isn't alone but he is currently in very good company. 

I get what you're saying - over the last year I picked up Sheriff of Babylon and had a similar experience with Tom King. His work right now is at an incredible high, SoB and Vision over the last year and a half are pretty damn impressive. I'm not currently getting hit on those same cylinders by Cates, but based on what you're saying I'll definitely go back and pick up some of his other work. Hell, I like this book well enough that I should have already done that, so I'm not sure why I hadn't.