• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on marrying a cover...

12 posts in this topic

So, I have an Adventure #247 that has the top part of the cover missing. The back cover is present. I also just acquired a complete front cover for the book.

Now I'm not sure what to do to maximize the grade, and have a couple of questions.

If I have the bottom part of the current cover removed and replace it with the new complete front cover by (gluing?) it to the spine of the current back cover I'm looking at a purple label with married cover, and something like glue on spine? Does it get a purple label and also get the grade as if the spine is completely split? (Like it would get a 3.0 purple?) The book and new front cover combo look 7.0-8.0 if they were already together.

I'm looking for opinions from those who have done something similar. Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of viable options but none of them include hacking and gluing.

If it were mine and I really, really, really wanted this book to look nice, regardless of label and cost, I would have the new front cover married to the old back cover. Maybe leafcasting can do it or a combination of rice paper and leaf casting... not sure. But I sure as heck wouldn't do it myself.

Oh I wouldn't do it myself for sure. I'm a butcher with a pair of scissors.

This one will be for resale as I actually have a coverless copy that I'm content with.

Leafcasting seems like an interesting option.

I guess my main question would be if the book has the appearance of an 8.0 would it get that with a purple label with whatever restoration is done? Sorry if that's an obvious question. I'm just not sure if they would grade it as though the spine is split and also give it a purple even if the cover is secure after I have the work done to it...

Oh I wouldn't do it myself for sure. I'm a butcher with a pair of scissors.

This one will be for resale as I actually have a coverless copy that I'm content with.

Leafcasting seems like an interesting option.

I guess my main question would be if the book has the appearance of an 8.0 would it get that with a purple label with whatever restoration is done? Sorry if that's an obvious question. I'm just not sure if they would grade it as though the spine is split and also give it a purple even if the cover is secure after I have the work done to it...

If it were professionally married it would get noted MARRIED COVER on a PLOD and the notes would read something like Front Cover Married.

If you just glue the front to the back it's going to get a low restored grade (probably less than 3.0), regardless of how strong the eye appeal may be. If you get a more professional restoration, it may end up moderate, but in all probability get a higher apparent grade.

my suggestion is to sell it as is, and include the new cover you acquired with the sale. That way it becomes someone elses conundrum.

What do you think you can sell it for now without doing anything?

Then look at the cost of doing the leaf casting and see what your restored book would sell for. if the profit margin is worth doing then do it.

Geez, I might sell the partial cover copy, slab the nice front cover alone, and keep the coverless. You could always marry a complete cover later, would be my thinking. I dunno. No slam-dunk answer I don't think, though the one suggestion of professional marrying might yield a high apparent grade purple label.

If it were me, I'd keep the coverless copy, with the extra front cover, and sell the stripped copy.

If you check ebay, folks will pay more for stripped keys than I would think worthy. To me they are no more appealing than coverless, but some are clearly fine with only a partial front cover. I'd far prefer a coverless copy with just a full front cover, even if it's married. It's going to look far better in mylar.

If it were me, I'd keep the coverless copy, with the extra front cover, and sell the stripped copy.

If you check ebay, folks will pay more for stripped keys than I would think worthy. To me they are no more appealing than coverless, but some are clearly fine with only a partial front cover. I'd far prefer a coverless copy with just a full front cover, even if it's married. It's going to look far better in mylar.

great point (thumbs u