• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Comic Weekly From The Chicago Herald-American

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone collect these or do most just frame examples of this kind of comic art?

The issue I have includes comic strips such as Rosie' Beau by Geo. McManus, Bringing Up Father, The Katzenjam mer Kids, Dingle-Hoofer und His Dog, Flash Gordon, etc.

Dated: Sunday, April 24, 1940.

Does anyone collect these or do most just frame examples of this kind of comic art?

The issue I have includes comic strips such as Rosie' Beau by Geo. McManus, Bringing Up Father, The Katzenjam mer Kids, Dingle-Hoofer und His Dog, Flash Gordon, etc.

Dated: Sunday, April 24, 1940.

Should also have Prince Valiant. Around here a nice section from this time will go for around $20-$25.

This one also has "Jungle Jim" and "Toots and Casper", but no Prince Valiant on this one.

Perhaps I am missing a page or so?

It has a big tear on the last page so probably isn't something one may want, but finding it did make me wonder.

Would anyone have any ideas how I could preserve this newsprint? Would a specific tape(?) work best on the repair, or ... ?

Thanks for the information Moondog !!

This one also has "Jungle Jim" and "Toots and Casper", but no Prince Valiant on this one.

Perhaps I am missing a page or so?

It has a big tear on the last page so probably isn't something one may want, but finding it did make me wonder.

Would anyone have any ideas how I could preserve this newsprint? Would a specific tape(?) work best on the repair, or ... ?

Thanks for the information Moondog !!

It sounds like it's missing a few pages. Prince Valiant was in the Chicago American along with most of the other King Features strips (Flash, etc.). The Chicago American was first published in 1900 or so and merged with the Herald-Examiner in 1939. It continued as the Chicago Herald-American until 1953 when it became just the Chicago American, and as far as I can tell was in all these issues since it's inception in 1937.