• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAD MAX: WASTELAND (TBD)
1 1

31 posts in this topic

2015’s Mad Max: Fury Road is one of the balls-out craziest action movies ever made. It’s also one of the best. Understandably, fans have been eager to hear any news of a sequel, because you can’t just drop a masterpiece like that on us and then walk out of the room. Luckily, Mad Max director George Miller provided some info about a Fury Road sequel in an interview with Deadline about his upcoming project Three Thousand Years of Longing.

“I’m not done with the Mad Max story and I think you have to be a multi-tasker and there’s certainly another Mad Max coming down the pike after this,” Miller said. “We’re in preparation on that as well. It’s an interesting question, the idea of multi-tasking. I discuss this with other filmmakers and I think what happens to me is that when you’re working on one thing, and you get so distracted and focused on that one thing, it’s like a creative holiday to focus on the other one for a bit. It helps you achieve that objectivity, to look at the thing afresh each time and say, I thought I was doing this, but it doesn’t seem to be the case now.”

Described as a “romance,” Longing appears to be just about as far removed from the gonzo spectacle of Fury Road as you can get. But honestly, that makes sense for Miller. In addition to the Mad Max series, he wrote and directed Babe: Pig in the City, Happy Feet, and Happy Feet Two. (He also c-wrote the screenplay for the original Babe.)

“The more different the films are, the more interesting that is,” Miller said. “A really good example: I was working on Happy Feet Two while Fury Road was getting up and then falling down. They couldn’t have been more different. One was animation, the other live-action. It worked for me.”

Filming for Longing, which is set to star Idris Elba and Tilda Swinton, doesn’t begin until March. So unfortunately we’re probably still a few years away from another Mad Max film. But as long as it doesn’t take Miller another 20 year Thunderdome-to-Fury–Road hiatus, it’ll be worth the wait.

1 hour ago, bane said:

God I love that car, been looking for a decent model of one to display.

Was helping a mate at the comic con event and after it had all finished, we are loading the van and we hear these big V8s and both thinking where's the sound coming from, out roar the 3 beasts that were on display

One of the most dynamic directors working, the 77-year-old has never been bound by genre nor medium when it comes to the films he’s made. He’s an Academy Award winner for best animated feature for “Happy Feet” (2005). In addition, he’s garnered nominations for “Lorenzo’s Oil” (1992) in original screenplay, “Babe” (1996) for best picture and adapted screenplay and “Mad Max: Fury Road” (2015) for picture and directing.

“Fury Road” was another long-gestation and was supposed to begin production in 2001 with Mel Gibson set to reprise his role. However, after the 9/11 attacks, it was difficult to get the production insured according to Miller. By the time the film was ready, Gibson had faced an avalanche of bad press and scrutiny for his anti-Semitic remarks and he was no longer able to be in the film.

His next project will be the highly-anticipated “Furiosa,” a spin-off from “Fury Road” that will star Anya Taylor-Joy and Chris Hemsworth, which he’ll return to shooting in Australia on May 24, after already filming a major sequence. He calls the sequel “a saga,” which will unspool over a 15-year period, differing from its predecessor which spanned three days in its timeframe.

When it comes to “Mad Max: The Wasteland,” the working title of what was supposed to be the direct sequel to the 2015 winner of six Oscars, we shouldn’t expect it anytime soon, nor do we know if Tom Hardy will be reprising his role as Max. “We do have another story but it’s still not fully evolved,” says Miller. “We’ll see further down the chain.”

No Tom Hardy?

Seems a strange swap to go to Chris Hemsworth given it's a follow-up to Fury Road.

I know Cheron and Hardy hated each other, but I thought at least the main protaganist would be back.

A little odd.

Speaking recently with the AV Club about his latest film 3,000 Years of Longing, Miller disclosed that he and writer Nico Lathouris had essentially written a novel covering Max's journey set in the year preceding the events of Fury Road. He went on to talk about how their work shopping of ideas for the character of Furiosa led to fleshing out many other aspects of Fury Road and in turn birthed the idea for the upcoming prequel Furiosa. Miller said:

"We also wrote, not a screenplay, but almost in novel form, Nico Lathouris and I, what happened to Max in that year before, and that’s something that we’ll look at further down the track later. But in telling each other the story of Furiosa, everything in Fury Road had to be explained. In my mind, I have a backstory of the Doof Warrior, who plays the guitar. How could a blind man who all he can do is play a guitar, how does he get to survive in a wasteland where everybody is in extremis? How did he come to be there? So we wrote little stories for every character when we made Fury Road."