• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Catman

49 posts in this topic

Great book - I'm glad you posted it - I was trying to remember where I'd seen a cover that had Stalin allied with Hitler. A month or so ago there was a short-lived thread commenting on the relationship of the covers and contents of WW2 era comics to real world events, and it got me thinking about how Stalin was considered an ally of the Axis after the signing of the Molotov-Von Ribbentrop pact of 1939 - and quickly became rehabilitated after the Germans attacked Russia in the summer of 1941 ( close to the time when Catman #3 would have been on the stands.

I seem to remember a CBM article which showed an ad for Young Allies #1 that still had Stalin getting punched with Hitler on the cover - art which was hastily changed to reflect the new reality of the war at the last minute. I can think of at least two covers that reflect the post June 1941 inclusion of Russia among the Allies, though I can't off hand recall the issue numbers. There is an America's Best that includes the Russian flag among the Allies, and a Marvel Mystery that shows the Human Torch battling Nazis alongside Russian troops. It's interesting to note that prior to Hitler's invasion of Poland - Stalin and/or the USSR were more likely to be shown as a menace on pulp and magazine covers than were Hitler and the Nazis - not to mention that mandarin robe wearing asians with Chinese sounding names were more frequently depicted as a "peril" than the modern militaristic Japanese during the 1930s.

Does anyone recall any other comic covers of the WW2 era featuring Stalin? ( in contrast to cold war era books like "How Stalin hopes to Destroy America").

For some reason I thought it was "Punyhuman" who had the Catman books, but I guess it was you rjpb! Nice group of books,......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif gee! I just noticed these issues are missing from my collection,...........if you ever want to get ride of them,..........old friend, old pal,..... hi.gifflowerred.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

devil.gif

Yeah !! I collect Catmans ,I've posted them before. Sorry , I read this thread late & I could'nt help out. You guys posted some that I have . Great books everybody that posted !!! 893applaud-thumb.gifI'll see if I can post my Catman # 28 later this week ,it's got restoration ,but I still Love it.Hard to find ,"aren't they all " & one of the best covers in the run IMHO!! BTW, anybody on these boards have a high grade or any grade Catman # 13??? How about you, Jon Berk? Love to see it!!! cloud9.gif