• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Unlimited

1 post in this topic

I'm a huge fan of Comixology Unlimited and Marvel Unlimited. I think they're awesome value for money (I'm averaging $0.20 per issue at the moment) and they're pretty great for trying out tons of titles "risk"-free.

I've been buying some DC TPBs (because of course, paperbacks and even hardcovers with printing, warehouse and distribution costs are cheaper than their digital counterpart :facepalm: ) and can't help but think to myself "Wouldn't it be nice if a DC Unlimited subscription service existed?". Particularly so in light of recent price increases. Anyone else feel the same? How much would you be willing to pay for such a service?

Imho, here are a couple of ways DC can implement a subscription service:

Easiest is as a premium add-on to Comixology Unlimited (similar to Amazon Channel Video Subscriptions).

1. Practically no setup costs for DC.
  2. Potentially wider mass market reach via super cheap Kindle Fire Tablets on top of regular Comixology users.

Caveat, DC probably has to share a fixed percentage of revenue with Amazon, not to mention likely greater negotiating power for Amazon as well as Amazon getting to keep all customer information and metrics proprietary.

Another option is DC rolls their own ala-Marvel Unlimited. Huge startup costs and they pay for ongoing maintenance (server, bandwidth, software development and updates, etc) but:

1. DC gets to keep all revenue minus credit card transaction fees.
  2. Instant feedback of what titles customers are reading.
  3. Customer information (gender, mailing address, sometimes age).

I reckon #2 & #3 would be pretty useful to Warner Bros. for targeted advertising.