• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

College Savings - buy/sell comics or tax free savings plan??

158 posts in this topic

I bought a 5.0 AF 15 in 2011 from a board member for 9500.

Sold it a year later, in Jan 2013 for $14.500.

Whats it worth today? I see 5.0s going for around $30,000.

Will it continue up at the same pace? I see no reason it won't.

And you're giving investment advice?

Yes, bought it in early December.

I don't offerfinancial advice. Simply report on past sales.

Well, if you sold it for only $14.500 after paying $9,500 for it, then it means that you must have lost $9,485.500 on the book. :baiting:lol

How many people are in the market for mid-grade $60K copies of not rare books? (If you honestly think it's going to double again in 2-3 years). Once upon a time every decent shop and dealer had one of those hanging up. In 1995 a nice Hulk 181 and an AF 15 like that were the same price, more or less. Don't people with this sort of budget already have the book?

At some point a book is too expensive in a common grade for the market to bear those crazy prices. It's a relatively common book, just look at how many copies of AF 14 are available for a few hundred bucks.

Go back ten years and you'll see lots of similar posts. All of which turned out wrong. I personally didn't want to spend five figures on the book, thinking that might be the books sweet spot. My first copy ,I paid $125 for and people thought I was nuts then.

I'm not saying it can't continue to go up, but not a doubling every 2-3 years. that is unsustainable. its unsustainable in every other sort of investment vehicle.

And you're giving investment advice?

Yes, bought it in early December.

I don't offerfinancial advice. Simply report on past sales.

Well, if you sold it for only $14.500 after paying $9,500 for it, then it means that you must have lost $9,485.500 on the book. :baiting:lol

I was implying that he sold it too quick

How many people are in the market for mid-grade $60K copies of not rare books? (If you honestly think it's going to double again in 2-3 years). Once upon a time every decent shop and dealer had one of those hanging up. In 1995 a nice Hulk 181 and an AF 15 like that were the same price, more or less. Don't people with this sort of budget already have the book?

At some point a book is too expensive in a common grade for the market to bear those crazy prices. It's a relatively common book, just look at how many copies of AF 14 are available for a few hundred bucks.

Go back ten years and you'll see lots of similar posts. All of which turned out wrong. I personally didn't want to spend five figures on the book, thinking that might be the books sweet spot. My first copy ,I paid $125 for and people thought I was nuts then.

I'm not saying it can't continue to go up, but not a doubling every 2-3 years. that is unsustainable. its unsustainable in every other sort of investment vehicle.

The problem I see with most of the key, hawt books right now often shows up on these very boards - collectors and dealers with 5-10 copies they are trying to unload. The demand at high prices seems to be flippers selling to flippers, and I don't know how many copies end up in the hands of collectors. If you don't cultivate a collector demand, then that run-up in price is eventually going to collapse.

The problem I see with most of the key, hawt books right now often shows up on these very boards - collectors and dealers with 5-10 copies they are trying to unload. The demand at high prices seems to be flippers selling to flippers, and I don't know how many copies end up in the hands of collectors. If you don't cultivate a collector demand, then that run-up in price is eventually going to collapse.

Seems reasonable but with a ton of life long collectors selling off their books and concentrating on just blue chip keys won't books like AF 15 see a continued rise in price even at the inflated prices. I'm sure there will be a ceiling but since there is only a few hundred copies on census at and above 5.0 I can see why people are bullish on it even at 27k.

Edited by 1Cool

Who has 5-10 copies of AF 15 to unload? I'd like to meet him. Flippers are working on low profit margins, 10% or less. There is already is a collector demand, that's why the price is so high! Supply doesn't meet demand.

Who has 5-10 copies of AF 15 to unload? I'd like to meet him. Flippers are working on low profit margins, 10% or less. There is already is a collector demand, that's why the price is so high! Supply doesn't meet demand.

Wow. You're really doing it wrong.

Pretty sure he was referring to AF 15s in particular. If those are sitting around at 50% margins I would love to know where. In 12 years of aggressive looking I have paid substantially under market for an AF 15 exactly three times.

Pretty sure he was referring to AF 15s in particular. If those are sitting around at 50% margins I would love to know where. In 12 years of aggressive looking I have paid substantially under market for an AF 15 exactly three times.

You never pay substantially under market for AF 15, but there's got to be some meat on the bone for it to be worth your while if you're flipping. 10% doesn't give you nearly enough room.

You never pay substantially under market for AF 15, but there's got to be some meat on the bone for it to be worth your while if you're flipping. 10% doesn't give you nearly enough room.

I was thinking the same thing last night watching the auction results on ComicLink. I just can't justify 10% under GPA on any book especially when there are fees for me to sell said book.

I was thinking the same thing last night watching the auction results on ComicLink. I just can't justify 10% under GPA on any book especially when there are fees for me to sell said book.

I have sold many big Marvel keys to dealers within the past year, including Hulk 1, TOS 39, AF 15, JiM 83, etc, and I was not knocking 20% off. 10% off market or thereabouts is the norm.

Many dealers don't incur direct fees when selling. They aren't buying an AF 15 from me to consign to CLink. It goes up on the site, gets taken to shows, and eventually sells at 100-120% of market.

I have sold many big Marvel keys to dealers within the past year, including Hulk 1, TOS 39, AF 15, JiM 83, etc, and I was not knocking 20% off. 10% off market or thereabouts is the norm.

Many dealers don't incur direct fees when selling. They aren't buying an AF 15 from me to consign to CLink. It goes up on the site, gets taken to shows, and eventually sells at 100-120% of market.

...those type of books will also be involved in part cash/part trade scenarios, where a buyer will let go of books they've owned for a long time at a percentage that works well in the dealer's favor. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

On that kind of book you're probably looking at that sort of margin, at least for a short term flip. obviously if you've been sitting on it for 20 years...

-----

Huh?

Sure, if you're going to have to pay a 7-10% commission, that is true, but buying at $27K with the expectation of getting $30K back inclusive of fees, etc. in 1-3 months? I think most dealers do that all day if they can. Better than trying to sell 300 $10 books.

Edited by the blob

-----

Huh?

Sure, if you're going to have to pay a 7-10% commission, that is true, but buying at $27K with the expectation of getting $30K back inclusive of fees, etc. in 1-3 months? I think most dealers do that all day if they can. Better than trying to sell 300 $10 books.

Is it really? What if they only paid 5 cents apiece for them?

-----

Huh?

Does not sound like this fits into Dan's business model from what he has said before. He would rather spend the 27k buying 20 - 30 long boxes of good quality books and sell them for 75k over the next 6 months. Lots more work but way more reward. Getting 10% return on 27k over 2 months is good money but that locks up 27k in money and what if the book drops a bit and has to be sold for 26k. Lost 1k and the use of the funds.