• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Split

34 posts in this topic

I'm not so sure about that.

I think its more likely he just chucked the ending in because he called up a certain actor and just said 'do you fancy appearing for a laugh'.

When you consider it, split itself, although far fetched, is set in the 'real world' - in that it could happen without any other wordly events having to occur.

The other movie referenced showed the charcater having supernatural powers and couldn't occur in the 'real world'.

I'd disagree that the movie is set in the 'real world' - the physical changes that happen to JM would, for me, preclude that.

I dunno, I felt the physical changes were just about in keeping with 'possible'.

There's plenty of instances where people get immensely strong when confronted with extreme stress etc. I think the changes could fit in with that.

The BW character however had supernatural powers never seen in real life.

I dunno, I felt the physical changes were just about in keeping with 'possible'.

There's plenty of instances where people get immensely strong when confronted with extreme stress etc. I think the changes could fit in with that.

And the climbing on the walls bit? And the information that one of the personalities was diabetic and the others weren't?

BW's 'powers' were not supernatural as far as I'm aware - more like genetic or mutant similar to the X-Men.

The diabetic bit could have just been a smokescreen, because we only saw that in videos he'd made of himself, that wasnt ever confirmed through a third party.

But yea the wall climbing, fair point, that was the one bit where I was hmmmmmm.

It wasn't totally smooth (which I felt was the director giving the audience a 'get out' in their head), plus it was a strange thing for the character to have said - I mean as 'a power' it was only something that someone would have found out they could do beforehand, so I kind of justified it in my head as something that he'd 'prepared' as a demonstration of power either to his other personalities or indeed to any of his victims.

I mean it was pretty useless, he climbed a wall, albeit very creepily. Hardly being able to read minds etc like the BW character could.

But yea, fair point.

And the climbing on the walls bit? And the information that one of the personalities was diabetic and the others weren't?

BW's 'powers' were not supernatural as far as I'm aware - more like genetic or mutant similar to the X-Men.

JM was edging towards supernatural. At one point they said he was able to climb walls by sticking to the grooves and imperfections, which we later see him do. The immediate changing of the color of his veins is also a bit weird. Most everything else that happens to him could be explained by saying he had sudden increases of adrenaline.

BW really did not have powers. He just never got sick. I rarely ever get sick myself. I have times where I do not feel well, but I don't get sick. He also never got injured...he could just be really lucky...but not supernatural.

Oh and I meant BWs powers were supernatural in the classic sense of the word, as in, they arent based in anything that's recognisable in the natural world we live in. His powers can't be replicated in any way in the real world.

JMs 'powers' just about could be.

Seriously? Mcavoys powers weren't supernatural?

He had super strength to the point that he could bend steel. He could climb walls. His musculature and body composition changed. He survived TWO shots from a shotgun with little or no problem at all. He ran great distances at great speed with no decrease in stamina.

Actually that's where I think the BW character went wrong in the movie.

All of his powers are explainable....

But one.

He touched someone and was able to read their mind in a visual flash. Thats an unrepeatable supernatural power in the real world.

Every other thing he does could be explained by coincidence or just good luck etc.

I felt that was a misstep in the BW film and took it outside the real world.

Seriously? Mcavoys powers weren't supernatural?

He had super strength to the point that he could bend steel. He could climb walls. His musculature and body composition changed. He survived TWO shots from a shotgun with little or no problem at all. He ran great distances at great speed with no decrease in stamina.

Some people are capable of incredible feats of strength and stamina when under incredible pressure. Likewise shrugging off gunshot wounds. People's experiences in war give us many examples of that. The change in musculature etc could be explained with adrenaline as mentioned - plus think of when body builders pump themselves up before going into a pose, that's very similar.

Just watched it and was blown away (esp by the ending).

I only hate that I cheated and spoiled the ending by reading here first.

The music at the ending brought chills.

I hope he keeps building a team of good vs. evil along these lines.

Edited by bronze_rules