• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist that everyone likes?

134 posts in this topic

There's no such thing

This.

I don't know, I've never heard anyone say much bad about Adams or Wrightson. I've heard people say... things... about Steranko, but never heard anyone say he sucked.

No artist sucks. It's just completely impossible for there be an artist or just anything at all that everyone likes. Nothing in the world is like that.

There's no such thing

This.

I don't know, I've never heard anyone say much bad about Adams or Wrightson. I've heard people say... things... about Steranko, but never heard anyone say he sucked.

No artist sucks. It's just completely impossible for there be an artist or just anything at all that everyone likes. Nothing in the world is like that.

Yep. Can't please everyone.

There's no such thing

This.

Yep. Can't please everyone.

I guess it depends on how you're talking about it. But again, I've never heard anyone say that overall they dislike those artists.

Now, is everyone going to say "That is my favorite artist" about a single person? Of course not, but I think what we're really asking with this question, is who is an artist that no one dislikes.

Who dislikes Adams or Wrightson? I haven't met them.

I think typically the answer here would be someone like Jim Lee - very skilled on a technical level, but generic enough to appeal to a very broad base as well.

Ironically, those that dislike him cite these same reasons.

It's like eating a bag of junk food....you glance and it looks like a comic book (or food)...then consume a little and ask yourself why you're taking in empty, cancerous ...that's my experience with Lee and that whole 90's fanboy set....But that's just me...

Haters usually go to the left or right for finding flaws- angles, faces, muscles, feet for Rob Liefeld, etc. For me, Don Perlin created the ideal looking comic page and would be a center cut artist. Don Heck and John Buscema are also hard to argue with for being something other than ideal comic artists. To each there own, but these three are ones I would defend.

"Feet" for Rob Liefeld... well, that, and you know... other parts... I feel like I'm posting this a lot, but it has to be done.

57be63312b487.jpg

They resemble insects

Now, is everyone going to say "That is my favorite artist" about a single person? Of course not, but I think what we're really asking with this question, is who is an artist that no one dislikes.

I'm pretty sure I've encountered at least one post on this board that said Neal Adams was overrated. No idea who Wrightson is.

Besides, just because you don't hate someone's art doesn't mean you automatically like it. There is such a thing as apathy. (shrug)

I'm pretty sure I've encountered at least one post on this board that said Neal Adams was overrated. No idea who Wrightson is.

Besides, just because you don't hate someone's art doesn't mean you automatically like it. There is such a thing as apathy. (shrug)

I agree with the sentiment, I guess what I'm trying to get at is there is a... baseline of appreciation for talent. Someone ignoring that has no taste - we live in a world where saying someone's opinion is wrong is akin to an insult, but frankly... there is nothing sacred about an opinion. Even if a piece of art doesn't move you in some meaningful way, you still should be able to appreciate the skill and I guess that is how I'm defining "likes."

If a stronger word than "like" had been used I wouldn't be posing the question I guess.

This too. Was thinking that when someone threw Dave Sim out there. Serviceable, but doesn't excite me.

And in the blasphemy camp, I don't get what's so awesome about Darwyn Cooke's cartoons. But I am not an artist, either. I think he tells a good story, but the images themselves are more like cartoon frames.