• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist that everyone likes?

134 posts in this topic

Winsor McCay??

His stuff looks like a coloring book to me. Never learned to use black.

Was thinking Heath too, but he's also unfamiliar to many, I bet.

Romita Sr was a good call, and I'd add John Buscema and Gil Kane to that guess list.

Kind of a warm, fuzzy late Silver/early Bronze Marvel look that most everyone at least finds accessible....do we all sing Kumbaya now???

I'll 2nd Big John Buscema; never heard of anyone disliking his stuff

Go check out a few of the dudes in the OA, its mind boggling.

Sure that's not Sal they were talking about?....him I can understand

Haters usually go to the left or right for finding flaws- angles, faces, muscles, feet for Rob Liefeld, etc. For me, Don Perlin created the ideal looking comic page and would be a center cut artist. Don Heck and John Buscema are also hard to argue with for being something other than ideal comic artists. To each there own, but these three are ones I would defend.

I think typically the answer here would be someone like Jim Lee - very skilled on a technical level, but generic enough to appeal to a very broad base as well.

Ironically, those that dislike him cite these same reasons.

sxos39.jpg

Haters usually go to the left or right for finding flaws- angles, faces, muscles, feet for Rob Liefeld, etc. For me, Don Perlin created the ideal looking comic page and would be a center cut artist. Don Heck and John Buscema are also hard to argue with for being something other than ideal comic artists. To each there own, but these three are ones I would defend.

"Feet" for Rob Liefeld... well, that, and you know... other parts... I feel like I'm posting this a lot, but it has to be done.

57be63312b487.jpg

They should have forced Liefeld to animate that enchantress so he would understand how ridiculous it was. Like when an artist made him count the number of teeth in his mouth....