• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Anyone have knowledge of the tattoos inside the issue of ASM 238, please chime in.....

Wondering if the tattos can be re-inserted from another issue if they are missing... Are they stapled in or just slid in between the pages??

Anyone have knowledge of the tattoos inside the issue of ASM 238, please chime in.....

Wondering if the tattos can be re-inserted from another issue if they are missing... Are they stapled in or just slid in between the pages??

Yup

IIRC, for a while over a decade or so ago they briefly considered (at least) the absence of the tattooz to be treated as meaningless, I think the rationale was to deter/discourage removal of the identical tattooz from the FF 252 issue. Forget where I read it, sorry, was so long ago. I suspect someone around he remembers more than I do.

But, yeah, the bottom staple would need to be removed, can't be slid in.

I can't speak for CGC, but my understanding was the whether or not it had the tatooz intact made a difference in grade/price, which may have served to make the book seem like a more valuable issue than it would have otherwise been had a portion of the copies not been maimed. the missing coupon is certainly a big issue in those early valiants.

IIRC, for a while over a decade or so ago they briefly considered (at least) the absence of the tattooz to be treated as meaningless, I think the rationale was to deter/discourage removal of the identical tattooz from the FF 252 issue. Forget where I read it, sorry, was so long ago. I suspect someone around he remembers more than I do.

But, yeah, the bottom staple would need to be removed, can't be slid in.

Staples thread....

Comics with Tattooz

^Thanks !! for '07 thread, always appreciate the history.

And didn't realize there were several others, just the Avengers but couldn't recall the #.

Good stuff, thank you. I'm sure there was a little more to the specifics of CGG revising a policy or position about the tatts, but that 2007 thread certainly matches the topic and the timing, though I thought it might have been a bit sooner.

While all copies of ASM 238 and FF 252 may have been meant to have the Tattooz insert attached at the top staple, due to the realities of mass production:

a) some copies never had an insert

b) some copies had a loose insert between the staples

I would hope that if CGC can detect the staple has been manipulated to put in "tattooz" that the book would receive a purple label.

Have your forgotten so soon - "Disassembly and reassembly of a comic book in and of itself is not considered to be restoration". :gossip:

While all copies of ASM 238 and FF 252 may have been meant to have the Tattooz insert attached at the top staple, due to the realities of mass production:

a) some copies never had an insert

b) some copies had a loose insert between the staples

Well, if this is true, then CGC would NOT be able to downgrade for the missing Tattooz simply because some copies were printed and distributed with them never being attached or inserted into the book in the first place.

It should not be up to CGC to try to guess which copies never had the Tattooz in the first place form the copies that had the Tattooz removed on a post production basis. hm

Hmm... the things you guys make me look up! First time I look at the listing in Overstreet in at least 10 years. Could've sworn they used to say same price with or without (because of tampering), but they've seperated the columns again, and added a note that Canadian editions didn't have the tattooz.

I was really hoping this discussion would be: does anyone give a rat's behind about Hobgoblin anymore? I can't fathom why anyone is paying a premium for this issue. Demogoblin in Web finally crashed, when will this one?

Hmm... the things you guys make me look up! First time I look at the listing in Overstreet in at least 10 years. Could've sworn they used to say same price with or without (because of tampering), but they've seperated the columns again, and added a note that Canadian editions didn't have the tattooz.

I was really hoping this discussion would be: does anyone give a rat's behind about Hobgoblin anymore? I can't fathom why anyone is paying a premium for this issue. Demogoblin in Web finally crashed, when will this one?

Overstreet edition #38 has the verbiage you speak of. I for one loved the hobgoblin and he was such a huge villain in the 80's and 238 is one of my favororite covers. To each their own. I suppose there are plenty of characters out there who's first appearances get crazy premium. Iron fist or sabertooth for instance. Taskmaster? really?

Yeah, FineCollector, that's where I read it, it was friggin Overstreet. For a period of time they reported prices as 'no different with or w/o tatooz'.

Overstreet was my bible for three decades and now I've apparently blocked it out from my memory.

Thank you!!