• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Hmm... the things you guys make me look up! First time I look at the listing in Overstreet in at least 10 years. Could've sworn they used to say same price with or without (because of tampering), but they've seperated the columns again, and added a note that Canadian editions didn't have the tattooz.

Well, if the presence or lack thereof affects the value of the book only, I assume it's really not up to CGC to downgrade the condition of the book if it is not there. hm

I would assume they should only be denoting whether the book has or does not have the Tattooz. The actual grading of the book itself, however, should in theory remain the same as they would not be able to tell if it is supposed to have or not have the Tattooz. (shrug)

While all copies of ASM 238 and FF 252 may have been meant to have the Tattooz insert attached at the top staple, due to the realities of mass production:

a) some copies never had an insert

b) some copies had a loose insert between the staples

Well, if this is true, then CGC would NOT be able to downgrade for the missing Tattooz simply because some copies were printed and distributed with them never being attached or inserted into the book in the first place.

It should not be up to CGC to try to guess which copies never had the Tattooz in the first place form the copies that had the Tattooz removed on a post production basis. hm

It's not relevant to CGC that they may have been produced that way. ASM 238 was clearly supposed to have the Tattooz insert (see the cover blurb), so ASM 238s without the insert get Qualified labels just like other (kind of) similar production problems.

If they gave some insert-less copies Universal labels, that would be guessing.

Hmm... the things you guys make me look up! First time I look at the listing in Overstreet in at least 10 years. Could've sworn they used to say same price with or without (because of tampering), but they've seperated the columns again, and added a note that Canadian editions didn't have the tattooz.

I'm positive I checked for Tattooz before I sent mine in and it was there. The surprise to me was that my ASM 238 came back Canadian.

My CAD copy has them.

Also from mcs:

Canadian Newsstand Edition with 75¢ Variant Cover Price. IMPORTANT: Issue 238A HAS the Lakeside Skin Tattooz insert. First appearance of the Hobgoblin in "Shadow of Evils Past!" -script by Roger Stern. Art by John Romita Jr. (breakdowns) and John Romita Sr. (finishes). Cover by John Romita Jr. and John Romita Sr.

Edit:

No other comic gets this much attention over an insert. There was a month where Marvel inserted a packet of Kool-Aid:

What if... with Kool Aid!

Does anyone care if the comic still has the Kool-Aid packet in it anymore?

Does the fact that asm 238 says on the cover that they are a "Bonus Feature" make a book without them incomplete?

Well...i know for a fact 238 can get a blue label.

I have one that's a 9.6 blue label noted as incomplete, tattooz missing

Are you sure it was not a Green Qualified label then if it was graded as a 9.6 copy? hm

I always thought that if a book was considered to be Incomplete by CGC and was slabbed with a Blue Universal label, it would only receive a 0.5 Incomplete/Poor grade. (shrug)

All copies of Amazing Spidey 238 should have Tattooz, including Canadian. It says so right on the front cover. If the Tattooz are missing, your book is incomplete and will get a qualified label. If you remove the staple and insert a Tattooz and put the staple back in and it's detected, your comic book will be Married and will state so. If the envelope the Tattooz came in is still stapled inside the comic book, but the Tattooz has been taken out via a slice, your comic book will receive a qualified label which will state Tattooz missing, and I believe will state on the label that the envelope is still present.

All copies of Amazing Spidey 238 should have Tattooz, including Canadian. It says so right on the front cover.

Yes, we all know what it says on the cover itself.

Unfortunately, that does not mean that all of the books that left the printers actually had the Tattooz inserted into them. If you check the MCS site, you'll note that some did not have the Tattooz insert, and in fact, some of them even had a completely different insert inside even though the cover clearly stated that it would have the Tattooz insert. (shrug)

It's unfortunate if you want to grade a copy without the Tattooz as whether or not it was manufactured with them, it'll still be considered incomplete. Manufacturing errors occur. Look at copies of NYX #3 missing wraps 5 and/or 6. There are many miscuts, double or more covers, and such, missing staples, extra staples, and many other things. Known manufacturing errors graded by CGC if it degrades the book in any way will yield a Qualified label with Manufacturing error noted on the label so it isn't a collector's fault the book was created with a flaw. I guess enjoy the comics for what they are and get graded things for your collection. If you can make a profit, consider it a bonus. But know you may have some unique items.

All copies of Amazing Spidey 238 should have Tattooz, including Canadian. It says so right on the front cover.

Unfortunately, that does not mean that all of the books that left the printers actually had the Tattooz inserted into them. If you check the MCS site, you'll note that some did not have the Tattooz insert, and in fact, some of them even had a completely different insert inside even though the cover clearly stated that it would have the Tattooz insert. (shrug)

What? Where are you seeing that?

It's quite possible that I might not be reading their website properly since it says that both #238AMJ and #238 BMJ are Not In Stock:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=amazing%20spider-man%20%20238

Never ordered from them before, so not 100% sure how to read their offerings. (shrug)

It's unfortunate if you want to grade a copy without the Tattooz as whether or not it was manufactured with them, it'll still be considered incomplete. Manufacturing errors occur. Look at copies of NYX #3 missing wraps 5 and/or 6. There are many miscuts, double or more covers, and such, missing staples, extra staples, and many other things. Known manufacturing errors graded by CGC if it degrades the book in any way will yield a Qualified label with Manufacturing error noted on the label so it isn't a collector's fault the book was created with a flaw. I guess enjoy the comics for what they are and get graded things for your collection. If you can make a profit, consider it a bonus. But know you may have some unique items.

Unless it's a specific, well-known error that was popularized before CGC existed *cough* V:LP1. As if that changes what it is and giving it a Universal label does anything but make CGC look inconsistent and biased.

But otherwise, yeah.

It's quite possible that I might not be reading their website properly since it says that both #238AMJ and #238 BMJ are Not In Stock:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=amazing%20spider-man%20%20238

Never ordered from them before, so not 100% sure how to read their offerings. (shrug)

The MJ insert is an additional insert that was not meant to be in every copy. It would not replace the Tattooz insert and would have no bearing on whether it was never there, was there but was removed or had the Tattooz removed from the insert.

My CAD copy has them.

Yeah, that smells like yet another pile of OPG bull:censored:

:facepalm::pullhair:

No other comic gets this much attention over an insert.

How many other keys have a situation that compares to this? The closest I can really think of is Incredible Hulk 181 and the MVS. Or maybe some of the early original Valiants?

There was a month where Marvel inserted a packet of Kool-Aid:

What if... with Kool Aid!

Does anyone care if the comic still has the Kool-Aid packet in it anymore?

Was the Kool-Aid insert in every copy? (I'm pretty sure it wasn't) Was it advertised on the cover as being part of the book? (Obviously not)

I think very few people care about most of the various inserts that have appeared in comics over the years.