• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can high-dollar "cover artist keys" maintain their value?

104 posts in this topic

I suppose a good litmus test will be if the person who purchased the ASM#667 for $9K (from an admittedly greedy type) can recoup their layout.

This seems to be apples to the OP's oranges again...

Well, it's the one way we'll know if these items are holding their value.

It seems people only want to talk about relatively affordable books here, not high dollar ones.

So basically they want to know if Hughes non-variant non-members cover specific books will maintain value.

You make it sound like we should only talk really high dollar stuff or nothing at all. Everyone buys/collects different things, and everyone wants to talk about different things. If discussing such insignificant comics is such a bad thing for you, shift the conversation where you want it to go or create another thread. (shrug)

This is a conversation. Conversations move around a subject based on new input. Feel free to talk about variants, or comics that cost $1000 instead of $150. I don't care. My original question was intended to discuss non-variant comics that are valued higher than their counterparts because of a cool cover. That doesn't mean we have to focus solely on that.

I don't know of that many books that were produced in the last 10 years that are selling for $1000s that aren't variants, so I've tended toward discussing the $150+ range. Mostly because if you add a rarity element to the mix, it muddies the water on why a book is demanding a lot of money.

I have come to realize that the current state of comic books is so awful right now in both stories and art that the only thing a modern collector has to look forward to every month from the big 2 is a cool new variant cover to gaze at.

+! QFT :whistle:

I have come to realize that the current state of comic books is so awful right now in both stories and art that the only thing a modern collector has to look forward to every month from the big 2 is a cool new variant cover to gaze at.

I can understand the sentiment. As far as Marvel and DC goes, I rarely buy a book for any other reason. There are, however, some great comics out there, they just aren't being made by the big boys.

I suppose a good litmus test will be if the person who purchased the ASM#667 for $9K (from an admittedly greedy type) can recoup their layout.

It seems people only want to talk about relatively affordable books here, not high dollar ones.

So basically they want to know if Hughes non-variant non-members cover specific books will maintain value.

You make it sound like we should only talk really high dollar stuff or nothing at all. Everyone buys/collects different things, and everyone wants to talk about different things. If discussing such insignificant comics is such a bad thing for you, shift the conversation where you want it to go or create another thread. (shrug)

This is a conversation. Conversations move around a subject based on new input. Feel free to talk about variants, or comics that cost $1000 instead of $150. I don't care. My original question was intended to discuss non-variant comics that are valued higher than their counterparts because of a cool cover. That doesn't mean we have to focus solely on that.

I don't know of that many books that were produced in the last 10 years that are selling for $1000s that aren't variants, so I've tended toward discussing the $150+ range. Mostly because if you add a rarity element to the mix, it muddies the water on why a book is demanding a lot of money.

Not at all, I'm just saying the question is very narrow and the answer seems obvious. It isn't as nebulous as the more interesting high priced books that cause so much angst, that's all. May as well ask if keys will maintain value... Sure, as long as whatever makes it a key remains relevant. It'd a bit tautalogical.

Not at all, I'm just saying the question is very narrow and the answer seems obvious. It isn't as nebulous as the more interesting high priced books that cause so much angst, that's all. May as well ask if keys will maintain value... Sure, as long as whatever makes it a key remains relevant. It'd a bit tautalogical.

Actually, that's another great way to look at it. Keys remain valuable as long as they remain important/relevant. So, is an artist more or less likely to remain relevant than a character? That's a complete crystal ball sort of question, sure, but to me, it's an interesting question while I'm sitting at work. (More interesting to me anyway, in part because I don't care a bit about insanely priced variants that aren't attainable or even desirable.)

How many "classic cover" designations are there for books after 1980? Seems like maybe a small handful, so I wouldn't put much faith in any of these modern covers to get that honor for a long time if at all.

What is the source of these designations? That's the much more relevant question, which also basically answers your question.

How many "classic cover" designations are there for books after 1980? Seems like maybe a small handful, so I wouldn't put much faith in any of these modern covers to get that honor for a long time if at all.

What is the source of these designations? That's the much more relevant question, which also basically answers your question.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Who is this guy in the gif having his mind blown?

I forgot, when Neal Adams was doing Batman they were classics right off the shelf.

Overstreet. I am not sure if Cgc has their own criteria of classic covers.

The main cover guys I see the most talk about are Hughes and JSC - what do they have in common? That's right.

Hughes has longer lasting appeal in my opinion, I think his talent is broader and more expressive.

Who else has drawn some of these 'high-dollar "cover artist keys'? As I said before, it's still a hard topic to discuss because it's so subjective from individual to individual.

The main cover guys I see the most talk about are Hughes and JSC - what do they have in common? That's right.

Hughes has longer lasting appeal in my opinion, I think his talent is broader and more expressive.

Who else has drawn some of these 'high-dollar "cover artist keys'? As I said before, it's still a hard topic to discuss because it's so subjective from individual to individual.

D'O?

D'O?

Hughes

JSC

Dell'Otto

Lets keep it going - identify them, identify the covers in question, then you can have a much more focused talk.

D'O?

Hughes

JSC

Dell'Otto

Lets keep it going - identify them, identify the covers in question, then you can have a much more focused talk.

Those were the only three I could think of when starting the thread. I doubt there are others, but if there are, there certainly aren't many.

Overstreet. I am not sure if Cgc has their own criteria of classic covers.

^^

Since the source of the designations has to be dragged kicking and screaming to acknowledge anything more than (and sometimes even) the simple existence of post-1980 books, how many post-1980 "classic cover" designations do you expect to find?

Modern variants aside, there are some pre-1980 issues with worth on account of the art. Captain America #110 - 111 + 113 have Steranko art and Avengers #93 the aforementioned Adams. Not many, but they are out there and known for their artwork.

On the flipside, to judge by the Letters Pages, people once raved about George Perez' art on Avengers (#167 onwards) but they are now worth very little.

Overall, comics worth $100-200 are simply curiosities for collectors - they do not represent serious investments.

Edited by World Devourer

D'O?

Hughes

JSC

Dell'Otto

Those were the only three I could think of when starting the thread. I doubt there are others, but if there are, there certainly aren't many.

Dave Stevens, maybe? He's post-1980 but not modern... maybe Manara? Maybe Stanley Lau in the near future?

I think there's also a lot of artists for whom there are a few key covers (like Jock's Detective 880 mentioned above), but the bump doesn't necessarily affect EVERY cover of theirs.