• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are the lower-grade "guess-the-grade" comics?

30 posts in this topic

It occurred to me that whenever we play "guess the grade" on a comic, it's usually a 9.2 or a 9.4 or a 9.6. (You get the idea). It would be really great for some of ya' guys to put in a F/VF, a F or a VF once in awhile. As a matter of fact, I wonder some times if all you hi-grade collectors (you know who you are) grin.gif would recognize the difference between a VG and F if you looked at one.

Is this a challenge, sure it is.

I do know I have trouble with VG- and lower cause most of the stuff I collect is F/VF or better. So how about it, anyone? I seem to remember we had a lot of fun with a low-grade Conan about a month ago?

I would but I don't have the expertise. frown.gif

Some people put up what they think are high grade books and we all grade it low. Does that count? grin.gif

Seriously though, its a good suggestion. It is much harder to grade mid/low grade books.

Had a feeling you might be mentioning that. I would have participated, but I couldn't access the scan. All I got was a big white wall. Keep em' coming though. Maybe I can access the next one. And the only excuse I have is I made this post before I noticed yours. Sorry frown.gif

Murph0, I know we have a lot of hi-grade collectors here and it's not that I don't mind taking part in a grading discussion. I am hoping some of these hi-graders have some lower grades to look at. Anything.

It gets a bit monotonous trying to figure out if a comic is a 9.2,4, or 6 all the time.

Even you must have a 6.5 lying around somewhere, hmmmm? grin.gif

"From the looks of it, there aren't very many mid-grade or lower collectors on here. That's why most of the scans are of high grade books."

I'm a mid-grade collector. VG to VF, depending on the comic. I just usually keep my mouth shut here, as I feel I'm the only one without the funds to buy 9.4+ comics. I'd like to hear from more mid-grade collectors on these boards. If there are any.

This book doesn't need a grade, it needs an Ebay description:

HOT CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED!! GEM MINT EXCEPT FOR A SLIGHT BIT OF WEAR ON COVER, TINY CORNER BUMPS, AND A SMALL TEAR ON THE LOWER RIGHT!!! THIS BOOK IS JUST WAITING TO BE SENT TO CGC!!! IT SHOULD GET AT LEAST A 9.7!!!!!!!!!! THIS BOOK IS HOT AND WITH THE MOVIE OUT IT CAN ONLY GET HOTTER!!!!!! BUY IT NOW AND SEND IT TO CGC BEFORE THE PRICE GOES UP!!!!!

Cashiers checks and money orders only. $24.99 shipping and handling. Insurance extra. Books are sold as is, no returns.

Nice try, this is how it would look with STCKWZRD1@AOL.COM style

THIS IS CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED IN VF+ 8.5 CONDITION. THE COMIC BOOK IS HOT AND WILL ONLY GET HOTTER WITH THE NEW MOVIE COMING OUT. THE COVER GLOSS IS BRIGHT! THE BOOK IS FLAT AND THE INSIDE PAGES CREAMY WHITE!! LIKE NEW! AND THE CORNERS ARE SHARP WHAT KEEPS THIS FROM BEING A 9.8 BOOK IS A COUPLE OF LIGHT CREASES, TINY CORNER BUMPS, AND A SMALL TEAR ON THE LOWER RIGHT . IF NOT FOR THAT IT WOULD BE 9.8 OR BETTER BOOK THE INSIDE PAGES ARE LIKE A 9.4 THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL UNRESTORED COMIC BOOK. I HAVE THOUSANDS OF COMIC BOOKS FOR AUCTION FEATURING GOLDEN AGE, SILVER AGE, BRONZE AGE, AND MODERN AGE. CHECK OUT MY OTHER AUCTIONS IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONACT ME VIA E-MAIL AT STCKWZRD1@AOL.COM IN ADDITION I HAVE OTHER AUCTIONS SO CHECK THEM OUT.

Rob9874,

Hello. I am a mid - grade collector.

Post anything ya' want. If I am reading between the lines correctly and you think what you have to say is not important because of all these hi grade collectors in this forum, believe me they're just regular guys like you and me. I know it can be quite humbling to read about someone agonizing over whether to buy an Amazing Spiderman whatever in a 9.4 or a 9.6, when you're copy is a 7.whatever but the posts are made to share knowledge. They're all a great bunch of guys once you get to know them. I know how ya' feel 'cause I used to feel like that at first.

I seem to remember we talked about whether to call a perfect comic a 10 or a 10.0, so believe me, if we can talk about that, we can talk about anything.

(But, watch out for Hammer.) grin.gif

Bug, I guess I am hard to please. frown.gif

As for this comic, the only thing it's really good for is another "Not CGC'd but a solid 9.6 except for the following defects" auction on e-bay. At least then we can all get a good laugh. ( nice posts seank and arty)

Now is this one of your better grades? grin.gif

As for this comic, the only thing it's really good for is another "Not CGC'd but a solid 9.6 except for the following defects" auction on e-bay. At least then we can all get a good laugh. ( nice posts seank and arty)

It's also good for reading. Let's not forget what comics were originally intended for.

And thanks. grin.gif

I may not be a 9.X collector, but I definitely collect the 8.0-9.0 range.. I think those books are "good enough" and are a lot more reasonable in terms of prices. I am unwilling to pay X times guide just to get a .2 higher

I don't collect a particular grade, as much as what I can afford. I mainly collect Batman. With a Batman #200, I'm going for 8.0 or higher. With Batman #100, I'd be glad to have a solid G. I'd like all my comics to be in the $100-$300 each range. I just can't see paying $2000 for a comic, when I'd rather spend it on a 53" big-screen. Plus, my wife would literally divorce me if I paid as much as a paycheck on comics. See, with $100-$300 comics, I can spread it out over time, and it doesn't look so bad. smile.gif

If I can just convince the wife to allow me to purchase a scanner I have plenty of books that I could post in a "Guess the grade" thread. Books like ASM 6, 7, Batman 30, JIM 85, etc..

I currently have an old Kodak digital camera which does nicely for taking pictures outdoors but when trying to attempt to take detailed close-up shots I have problems. The last time I attempted to take some photos of the comic books I just wasn't happy with the quality. I even setup a pole lamp behind me like a professional photographer and I still wasn't happy. Anybody have any recommendations on how to take better digital photos of comics?

-sam

Wasn't this thread I started of the lower grade type?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gradeandresto&Number=111719&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I put up a Fine +, a VF, and a VF+. Want me to put some more stuff up in the G/VG to Fine CGC range? I can mask out the CGC grade too!

Thanks!